PEERLESS PARTS FOR SALE THREAD

jeff_a

Here's an illustration from Butlers Standard Eight showing a H-S engine from a Standard automobile, possibly in 1915. The site says the H-S V-8 engines were all built in the Standard Steel Car factories in Pennsylvania for all the engine users like Apperson Jackrabbit, Daniels, Ross, etc.; except Peerless' V-8s, made in their plant in Cleveland.

No photo description available.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

6 hours ago, jeff_a said:

One interesting thing re: the Peerless V-8s -- it wasn't till the 9th version of it that it had detachable heads...the first 8 versions were just like the early Cadillac V-8s. The Chronology is De Dion Bouton ---> Cadillac/Northway ---> Herschell-Spillman ---> Peerless. All with similar head designs.

Here are a couple of engines, one from a 1917 Daniels and one from a 1922 Peerless. I posted the 1st one on Friday {General Discussion Forum...."Stutz Help Needed" thread} and nobody really looked at it. Look at the spark plugs on the H-S Daniels, then at the spark plug/brass priming cup pairing on the Series 7 Peerless engine. Exhaust on both is run backwards. Same water return manifolds, too.

Herschell Spillman engine & gearbox for a variety of American cars

post-49853-143142801942 (1).png

Very interesting 

...and here we have another application of the Herschell-Spillman engine in the 1920 Apperson Anniversary Eight Mod. 8-20:

(I didn't know Apperson Jackrabbits a hundred years ago used these V-8s until yesterday, despite having seen one at the Pioneer Auto Museum in South Dakota. This one sold for $47,040 at the 2019 Tupelo, MS Bonhams sale...26th year for Apperson's cars)

<b>1920 Apperson Model 8-20 Anniversary Eight Tourster</b><br />Engine no. 21070

Abbott, Apperson, Daniels, Douglas, Drummond, Monarch, Murray, Rock Falls, Ross, Standard

If you look up these marques using Herschell-Spillman V-8s in your Standard Catalog of American Cars, you will find that none of them rivaled Overland, Dodge, or Ford in sales, but little Apperson seems to have sold 6 or 7 thousand V-8 cars. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 6:28 PM, Quality said:

Have 3 what we believe to be Peerless engines. One spins free didn't try the other 2. All with transmission. One electric start.  Can anyone use the stuff? Not sure what it's worth. We want to sell them. One has a frame also. Have two rears and a front axle believe they may be stutz. Also for sale.received_4426001694113530.jpeg.4d49f6cd56f2574defbdd3bfe4edc380.jpegreceived_4251951944896045.jpeg.a9727bfe803cf7a8426a3e6c458daf71.jpegreceived_966285050831709.jpeg.d4eaf6fa93edbaa1074ab25790e867ad.jpegreceived_348899246911209.jpeg.234801b6b95d2416a89485508cb79904.jpegreceived_653339995638335.jpeg.234883ff42d5ee998e6ae7ef0671ce4c.jpegreceived_909503659645849.jpeg.b4a28591bf3ae240564da95db887ea4c.jpegreceived_1652113591653287.jpeg.d290f389a6971f53a202eed613f287c9.jpeg

received_579992483125033.jpeg

Quality, I replied to your question about your three engines on your identification post before I saw this post.

The link to the post below has a photo of a HS-V8 with dual ignition.

Edited by Standard Eight (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

LXXIV. Peerless Ball & Ball Carburetor by Penberthy for sale on e-bay til SUN about 7 PM...about 20 hrs. Starting bid: $425

"shesut-36" seller in PA. Gee....might even be the correct carby for one of those three V-8s a few posts up.

I just solved a mystery re: the four Peerless V-8 models over their 13-year span. Heavy emphasis was put on the dual nature of the Vee-Type-Eight car when introduced in 1916: "Loafing" or "Sporting" Range derived from its Ball & Ball Carburetor. I was curious if this was used through all 13 years, since little mention of the Two Power Range Eight four-barrel carburetor was made after 1921. I looked it up in classiccardatabase.com and they say Ball & Ball '16 to '24, and Stromberg 1925 to 1928 starting with the Model 67.

Image 1 - Peerless Carburetor Ball &amp; Ball Penberthy Injector Co. Antique Carb

Hi Jeff, my Dad recently passed and I noticed that you seem very knowledgeable regarding Peerless Cars. My Dad has a 1927 Peerless Roadster Coupe. It has metal wheels, not the wooden spoke wheels I see usually when I read up on them. It also has a rumble seat. I’m trying to decide whether to sell it or try and restore it. Do you know an approximate value of this car. It’s pretty much all original, but it has been sitting in his garage covered up with tools and other things. It was passed down from his Dad to him and now I’m wondering if it’s worth me overly investing in. The last time it ran was about 1975 when we moved it to the home I grew up in. It got parked in the garage and hasn’t  run since. 

59 minutes ago, Brad H said:

Hi Jeff, my Dad recently passed and I noticed that you seem very knowledgeable regarding Peerless Cars. My Dad has a 1927 Peerless Roadster Coupe. It has metal wheels, not the wooden spoke wheels I see usually when I read up on them. It also has a rumble seat. I’m trying to decide whether to sell it or try and restore it. Do you know an approximate value of this car. It’s pretty much all original, but it has been sitting in his garage covered up with tools and other things. It was passed down from his Dad to him and now I’m wondering if it’s worth me overly investing in. The last time it ran was about 1975 when we moved it to the home I grew up in. It got parked in the garage and hasn’t  run since. 

Post some pictures and we will tell you what to do. Unless you’ve restored a car before you know what you’re doing that is a bad idea no matter what. Unless it has tremendous sentimental value to you and your semi wealthy.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:55 AM, Brad H said:

Hello Brad,

Sorry to take awhile to reply. I've been travelling a lot. I had some spare time today...but had to run off somewhere again. I just wrote you a long message, but it got erased. I'll have to write more later...

Sorry to hear your Father died.

In the mean time --- please send me a PM, that's where you go to someone's profile and click on where it says "Message", and tell me a few details about the Peerless. I keep the registry of all known survivors worldwide, KPAIE* and your car may not be listed. Things like State/Color/Model/Car Serial Number would help. Eager to find out about your car!

----Thanks, Jeff

* Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence

On 12/18/2021 at 10:55 AM, Brad H said:

Hello Brad,

Interesting car you have. Do you know which model it is? Here are the FIVE it could be:

1. 6-60.....62 HP.....199 Cu. In.
  2. 6-80.....63 HP.....230 Cu. In.
  3. 6-90.....80 HP.....289 Cu. In.
  4. 6-72.....80 HP.....289 Cu. In.
  5. 8-69.....70 HP.....332 Cu. In.

Usually the model can be found by looking at the 3" x 5" aluminum  plate on the firewall, driver's side. It might read something like 

"80 360,999" if it were a 1927 Model Six-80. The prices for these models before accessories, tax and delivery ranged from $1,395 to $3,795 in 1927 -- if you didn't order a custom body.

You sound more knowledgeable than most people, since you correctly identified a boattail coupe as a Roadster Coupe. Most folks wouldn't know that....but then you are a third-generation Peerless owner and your Dad and Grandad must have shared things about the car with you.

I keep track -- or try to keep track -- of all surviving Peerlesses worldwide on a registry I maintain called Known Peerless Automobiles In Existence. KPAIE now has 370 vehicles since a 1912 Model 60-Six was added 3 days ago. As you know, Peerless made the largest ever engine used in a production car from 1912-1914, 825 Cu. In. There were about 108,000 Peerless cars built.

There aren't many boattail coupes in the world. They were practically the only carmaker to build them. I think Rickenbacker made a few. There were several firms building boattail roadsters(Hudson, Essex, Stutz, Packard, Duesenberg, Auburn, Franklin, Lincoln, Hispano-Suiza, Talbot, Delahaye, and Rolls-Royce). Please send word here or by PM about the color, model, serial numbers, etc. If you send me your mailing address, I'll send you a 1-pg form to fill out to make it way easier.........then I can add the data to KPAIE.  You may have people living nearby who have a similar car.  I may know about your car already....or it could be an undiscovered one. I know a chap in Boulder, CO who's currently restoring a 6-90 Roadster Coupe -- one of only two in the world.

Have you been able to find much to read on Peerlesses? The best A-Z reference w/ lots of photos is one of the Automobile Quarterly books, VOL 11, No. 1, written about 1973. There is a 32-pp chapter by Maurice Hendry on Peerless in this hardcover book. I have bought a couple of them on E-Bay for about $10.00. A friend of mine just came out with the first hardcover book about Peerless last fall:

PEERLESS AUTOMOBILES OF THE BRASS ERA: 1900-1915, 273 pp, by Alex Cauthen. You can still get a copy of it for about $60...only 50 copies have been printed. While the brass Peerless book focuses on the earliest years, an era with very few surviving cars, it's still an important work. There are almost as many 1927 cars known as all of them from 1900-1915 (52 1927 Peerlesses on KPAIE vs. 58 1900-1915 Peerlesses on KPAIE). 

---- Jeff Brown

* * * Re: sending a message, or PM, I mentioned in my last 2 posts...it turns out you cannot send them until you've reached the 15-post-level. Sorry, didn't know that till today! * * *

• 5 months later...

Original Radiator Mascot for sale on ebay now:

Seller "musical999" in Illinois. Expensive -- but these do not survive in good shape very often. $675. I have only seen 1 other like this in 15 years and it went for over 600 12 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195083667732?hash=item2d6be48914:g:nUcAAOSwk1Bijwiq

s-l64.jpg

• 9 months later...

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

LXXX. Someone on ebay motors has a distributor for a 1925 Peerless Model 8-67 V-8  engine for sale for about $100. Not too many owners of such a nice motor car....but a few are out there. They ALSO appear to have one for a 1927 Model Six-60.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285421474466?hash=item42747212a2:g:-LQAAOSwPyVk0ry5&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwM%2FPvSDohcr1Wui5JiTk8VEhrSWteI3oqTDPt6a4%2FnkbZY2F%2F%2BdO%2BbkHROW5TGH5s9S%2BJIr%2BE8L9EYWzxAYooFwnUXOlnlPjfJ%2BeJcOuQEJ8T46Jz2GhTBtyOkNB0IATfh99H52ZUh8haHhWa9%2FT1Ctu2SjDaXsgNN7Xu71QbEE5smAd1WQGWCUm1X8BX2xZgCvBtgmfSWExb8mxico7Fx6qtlaUUqelBw51R9%2B63%2BqrMNJwYGSm73PtvHvC5OEqqQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR56Rr9L4Yg

• 2 weeks later...

I looked up the auction, and it appears to be one of the originals, nickeled or chromed over; or one of the ones Arrow used to make in MIchigan. I have a solid bronze one that I got from a company in Irvine, CA, on an E-Bay sale, for $50...it says "Peerless Motor" on the base. The originals were pot-metal w/ nickel plating, and have fine lines, but are very fragile. The one in the auction has "Peerless Design Patent Pending" on the base. 

Here is what may be a fine original: image.png.904c5f3e8527e4467f2ffb6bd57fb9b1.png

• 4 months later...

Looking for a distributor for a 1919 Peerless V8, Model 56, Series 5, plus an extra set of points. Will settle for a distributor cap plus an extra set of points. Can anyone tell me if more modern distributors, distributor caps or points can be substituted for the one we have installed in the Peerless? We inherited the Peerless from my Dad, so don't have the expertise to know what make or model of distributor is installed on the Peerless. If we could at least identify what the choices are for that year, it would be helpful to us. Our mechanic is suggesting replacing the entire distributor "with good shaft bushing". Thanks for whatever help you can provide. /Don

• Like 1