1916 Scripps-Booth V8 Engine

Guest Norwegian

Guest Norwegian

A friend of me here in Norway is the proud owner of a 1916 Scripps-Booth model D.

Car number D-791. He has owned it since 1986 and it is now almost complete restored. A magnificent restoration is performed and it is soon a very beautiful vehicle again. The engine is unfortunatly in very bad shape, with a lot of cracks. Freezing damages and also a broken piston/rod has done some severe damages. The engine number is FS-31.. It is not possible to read all the numbers. The engine is made by Ferro and it was also delivered in other cars like Jackson and Briscoe. (Correct me if I`m wrong)

If you have a V8 engine for this car for sale or maybe you have any tip of somebody who could have one to sell, it would have been highly appreciated.

Looking forward to here from you.

Like i said, Any tip would have been very helpful and highly appreciated.

Jan Gunnar Halvorsen

0047 938 25715

jan.gunnar.halvorsen2@akersolutions.com

Norway

Guest Norwegian

Does anyone have a hint of where to search for a engine like this?

Websites

Persons with knowledge of Scripps-Booth

We are also interested in any parts for this engine, we don`t need complete engine.

Best regards

Jan Gunnar

Guest Norwegian

Hi

Nebraska is to far away for me at this short notice. (12 hours by plane)

Do you think there could be Scripps Booth stuff at that auction?

@Stephen48

I will get some pictures of the engine soon. It will sure be much easier to recognize it with pictures.

Thank you for tip

Jan Gunnar

Guest Norwegian

Hi All!

You have asked for pictures so i thought i should give you some pictures of the engine and i also post some pictures of the car who really miss a complete engine. I also post pictures of Svein (owner) and some of his other cars and bikes and some grandchildren.

Hopefully someone regognize the engine when you see picture of it.

If someone also have a spare radiator it would have been nice.

post-79219-143138680434_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680451_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680465_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680479_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680488_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680498_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680502_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680505_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138680517_thumb.jpg

post-79219-14313868053_thumb.jpg

Dear Jan,

Thank you for showing the great photos of the 2 cars and 2 motorcycles. I don't know where any engines for a 1916 Scrips-Booth automobile are that are for sale. Someone had an entire car for sale about 6 months ago in Boise, Idaho, USA, but that won't help, since your friend just needs an engine. I'll send a PM of the car for sale.

I looked at all of the photos of the Nebraska auction held 2 days ago on the online description here on the forums (Buy/Sell) and don't remember seeing any Scripps-Booth items, but it was such a big early car auction that anything's possible.

I enjoyed seeing the photographs of Svein's vehicles and the good construction of the car storage building. Welcome to the AACA Forums!

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Guest Norwegian

Thank you Jeff!

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. It is some amazing cars and bikes Svein has put together. He has also another Harley 1000ccm he restores, he has painted it in the same coulors as the Scripps Booth, and they will match perfectly. He also has another old Cleveland bike under restoration.

And as you mentioned the garage and workshop is amazing with a lot of old equipment and stuff.

We have also found the adds about the car in Idaho, but as you said we only need a engine.

But yesterday i found a Radiator for sale on Trademe.co.nz, so i think i will have a phonecall to New Zealand and figure out if they have more parts for this car or if they possible know where to search.

The auction in Nebraska could be the place we should have been, i saw the pictures and there were a lot of interesting stuff and it is possible there was hidden a Scripps Booth engine among all that parts.

Is it possible that all that stuff was sold in only one day?

Svein got some mail from Ken Kaufman back in 2004-06 with some interesting information about some museum who possible could have engine for sale, but we never got the names of this museum so it is a bit hard to figure out which museum he ment.

Well, we just have to keep searching and i`m sure we will succeed soon.

Guest Norwegian

Once again thank you for every tip.

Here in Norway is it now autum, soon winther with tempratures below 0`Celcius

Brrrrrrrr....... But the chase for an engine continues.

Jan,

I was looking at the HCCA discussion forums today, going back to Dec 15th, 2005. Someone called "b mittleider" said he had a 1916 Scripts-Booth Touring Car and the Scripps-Booth register-keeper commented that it might be "car #7" to add to the 6 Model D cars already listed.

----Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Norwegian
Jan,

I was looking at the HCCA discussion forums today, going back to Dec 15th, 2005. Someone called "b mittleider" said he had a 1916 Scripts-Booth Touring Car and the Scripps-Booth register-keeper commented that it might be "car #7" to add to the 6 Model D cars already listed.

----Jeff

Thank you very much Jeff for all the information. I will check it out.

Actually i got a mail two weeks ago, from one person who said he had a engine for me in UK. Great condition and a nice prize.

Almost too good to be true. He diden`t have any picture at that moment, but i said that i must have a picture or two, just to be sure it was the right engine.

All i got was pictures from "google pictures" of cars from museums in USA.

I started to be suspicious and asked if he had more parts and i could just send him a list of what i needed because he were parting out a complete car, so i assume it was an attemt to fraud me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Norwegian

Today i recieved a mail which included a list of all known spare engine still existing. Not to many so it will be exiting to see if it is possible that anyone of them want to sell.

Have a nice weekend guys!

Jan Gunnar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Norwegian

Hi!

BREAKING NEWS: Finally we managed to track down an engine and thankfully the owner was willing to sell it.

I promise to post pictures of the car when it rolls out on the road for the first time since 1926 here on this magnificent forum.

Thank you for now

Best regards

Jan Gunnar

• 2 months later...
Guest Norwegian

I almost forgot to update this thread.

A few weeks ago we picked up a crate at the shipping company.

It was a complete and nice 1916 Scripps Booth V8 engine in really good condition. A few parts were missing but we were aware of that and those parts could we use from the original engine.

Thank you everybody for all the help.

I will post more pictures when the car is ready and running..

post-79219-143138922659_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138922668_thumb.jpg

post-79219-143138922674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norwegian (see edit history)

Great to see that this story has a happy ending! What a rare find, I'm so glad you were able to find such a rare piece to complete your car. The people in this hobby are still the #1 reason I do it day after day, not the cars themselves.

Looking forward to seeing it on the road!

Guest Norwegian
What a find, that motor looks to be in great shape!!

I can tell you for sure that there isen`t many of these engine left in the world.

We were very lucky to find this, and we have now disambled it an it is in exelent condition all the way.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...