When did all cars get two tail lights?

Barry Wolk

A right hand taillamp was an option on base model 1939 & 1940 Studebaker Champion cars.  Single taillights on trucks were standard until sometime after the war.

Studebaker made turn signals standard equipment on all cars starting with the 1956 model year.

Craig

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 8:41 AM, Doug's tin said:

My 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe has just 1 tail light. No turn signals

IMG_0448.JPG

As shown, my unrestored 50 Chevy Stylliner Deluxe Wagon has only 1 light on the rear. I don't want any hassles from the law, and sefety is an issue too. I am thinking of making a "BAR" that can be attached [easy on and off] with turn signals on it. Discrete plug in and that should cover problems. I see plenty of pictures of aftermarket lights that have been added , maybe by dealers? Any info you have will be appreciated. Doug

My 38 Studebaker State Commander has two tail/brake lights. The brochures of the day show two also. The build sheet (if you can call it that) does not show them as an option. The directional signal lights were added in the early 50’s and the third brake light (above the license plate) was added recently when a texting teen just about rear ended me while I was sitting at a stop light. She apologized saying she didn’t see my lights. I responded with “how could you see them when you were trxting instead of driving!”  

7CEAFCFC-5FC5-48C0-A0E9-95CD24392FD6.jpeg

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

On 9/28/2011 at 3:59 AM, Restorer32 said:

We were still required to know "out the window" hand signals for turns and stopping when I took my driver's test in 1964

It is still on the drivers road test in BC to this day.

1 minute ago, Tinindian said:

It is still on the drivers road test in BC to this day. 

And although I have not taken a drivers test recently, I am sure it is still on the test here in Washington State as well. Is it the only way a bicyclist has to signal. Bicyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as a car. It would be insane to send new drivers out not knowing what the signals mean.

I've owned a lot of cars that came with one taillight, but adding the second stop light has always been a must do project.  I just don't want to get rear ended!   A high mounted third brake light is also a good idea along with turn signals.  Kind of like using safety plate glass and carrying a fire extinguisher, better safe than sorry.

• 1 year later...

About 1928, you start seeing certain cars with a pair.  

As a sidenote:  A 1934-1935-1936 Auburn is actually a stop + running in the driver's side taillight and the passenger's side is actually just a running light  

(Rhode Island Wire will make the harness either way for you, though I cannot imagine why anyone would not convert the passenger's side taillight to stop + running). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Shakey Jake said:

My 1948 Willys panel delivery has one light on the back Left door.  It is a stop/driving light.  I would like to leave it that way but I am still not sure if that will fly here in  Cali. any thoughts?????

Most jurisdictions only require the equipment that came with the vehicle when it was new.  You need to read your highway traffic act.  When you find the appropriate section make a copy of it and carry it with you.  DO NOT argue with a police officer.  Just take your citation and appear in court with your paperwork.

I have had tickets and have had the police officer phone me at home later in the day to apologize and ask me to disreguard the ticket, he checked with his superiors and was told he was wrong.

Franklin had an optional/accessory tail light at least as of 1930, turn direction was still via hand, it was a stop and tail light only.  As mentioned , 1928 seems to be the year that two tail lights out back started to be seen more but mostly I am guessing as an accessory, extra cost option. 

When I had my 1930 Packard rewired, I had directional signals /wires run to both rear tail lights and up front I put the directional light in the fog lights rather then the tiny parking lights that are mounted on the top of the fender. Drivers facing you I have found, need a big bright blinking light to see that you are indeed wanting /wishing/hoping to make a turn in front of them . I still use hand signals but most people think you are "being nice" and waving hello to them , not trying to let them know you want to make a turn and not get destroyed in the process!  Sometimes you have to point vigorously to make the driver in the other car facing you realize this isn't just a friend;y "Hi how are ya" wave, a smirk on you face usually helps too. BUT if the driver who is looking at you is female and pretty and smiles I usually smile back and do a wave!🤣 so they know the "geezer" driving the old car is ok......

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Franklin had an optional/accessory tail light at least as of 1930, turn direction was still via hand, it was a stop and tail light only.  As mentioned , 1928 seems to be the year that two tail lights out back started to be seen more but mostly I am guessing as an accessory, extra cost option. 

When I had my 1930 Packard rewired, I had directional signals /wires run to both rear tail lights and up front I put the directional light in the fog lights rather then the tiny parking lights that are mounted on the top of the fender. Drivers facing you I have found, need a big bright blinking light to see that you are indeed wanting /wishing/hoping to make a turn in front of them . I still use hand signals but most people think you are "being nice" and waving hello to them , not trying to let them know you want to make a turn and not get destroyed in the process!  Sometimes you have to point vigorously to make the driver in the other car facing you realize this isn't just a friend;y "Hi how are ya" wave, a smirk on you face usually helps too. BUT if the driver who is looking at you is female and pretty and smiles I usually smile back and do a wave!🤣 so they know the "geezer" driving the old car is ok......

I just pulled the accessory brochure off the shelf and sure enough it does feature the option of a right taillight for 1930 Franklin's.  

My guess is that they were already making he part for right hand drive RHD cars matched to keeping up with the Jones'.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

That's not such a guess, John. The Franklin factory drawing for the RHD  tail light support confirms it. According to the drawings, they started making a right-hand tail light supports for RHD cars in 1928 and continued thereafter. So the parts were already available to add a second light. My question is why did they wait until 1930 to offer a second taillight as an option and then wait to make two tail lights standard in 32 ?

Paul  

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, PFitz said:

That's not such a guess, John. The Franklin factory drawing for the RHD  tail light support confirms it. According to the drawings, they started making a right-hand tail light supports for RHD cars in 1928 and continued thereafter. So the parts were already available to add a second light. My question is why did they wait until 1930 to offer a second taillight as an option and then wait to make two tail lights standard in 32 ?

Paul  

I don't know, but even in 1932 I think they were leading. The second light was still optional on Pontiac in 36, and probably some other GM makes. I don't think 2 lights even became common until the late 30s. longer yet on trucks. I remember a 51 International with one light.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I don't know, but even in 1932 I think they were leading. The second light was still optional on Pontiac in 36, and probably some other GM makes. I don't think 2 lights even became common until the late30s. longer yet on trucks. I remember a 51 International with one light.

Bloo,

Just to be clear, I only meant Franklins, not any other makes. They waited until 1932, when the depression was well setting in by then, and like other manufactures Franklin was having large drops in sales and trouble paying back their bank loans,... yet they still went with that extra expense. Even as you pointed out, when other makers were not.

Paul 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PFitz said:

Bloo,

Just to be clear, I only meant Franklins, not any other makes. They waited until 1932, when the depression was well setting in by then, and like other manufactures Franklin was having large drops in sales and trouble paying back their bank loans,... yet they still went with that extra expense. Even as you pointed out, when other makers were not.

Paul 

Yeah, I got that you meant only Franklin, but that is an interesting point that it was the deepest part of the depression. I hadn't thought of that, only that Franklin was a bit higher tech than some other cars of the period. It doesn't seem odd at all for them to be early adopters until you consider that they were hurting financially that year.

New York was the first state to require one red taillight in 1905, then other states followed suit. I've never seen anything regarding two taillights. It was obviously done on a state by state basis and from the looks of the postings, around the late 20's some states were requiring two. I know utility trailers in most states are (or were recently) only required to have one taillight.

-Ron

17 hours ago, PFitz said:

Bloo,

Paul 

They added the wooden interior window sills in 1932 as well - and they are impressive wooden window sills too. 

10 hours ago, Locomobile said:

New York was the first state to require one red taillight in 1905, then other states followed suit. I've never seen anything regarding two taillights. It was obviously done on a state by state basis and from the looks of the postings, around the late 20's some states were requiring two. I know utility trailers in most states are (or were recently) only required to have one taillight.

-Ron

But, my November built 1932 RR PI Springfield, that was delivered new to the owner who had a residence at the Plaza Hotel in New York City, had a Blue stoplight (it also had a red running light and a clear back-up light) matched to only having a driver's side taillight (just like a bulk of Duesenberg's only had the driver's side taillight)- and it was  $22,000 new.

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

They added the wooden interior window sills in 1932 as well - and they are impressive wooden window sills too. 

Yes, they are.

But, still somewhat slow to change,... Franklin retained painted door caps and hand grained dash on the 32 Dietrich Speedster in my shop. That body style changed very little  since introduced in the 1929 model line.

Paul

A question like "all cars" is a bit flexible. Twin rear lights a styling element started in the later '30s but were not ubiquitous until the mid-50s. (think the King Midget just had one much later but from memory so no promise.). Certainly the 1966 National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety act required them though some aspects did not appear until 1968 (why 1967 is considered a high point in US cars).

• 2 weeks later...