1912 Buick Resurrection Day

Mark Shaw

My cool little tire mounting tool just wasn't big enough to work on these tires. So, with lots of help from my Buick buddy Arland, we got four new clincher tires mounted today.

It took over two hours to mount the first one wrong (we forgot to put the outside ring on) but after we figured out a system using C clamps, it only took two more hours to get them all done correctly. I need a larger version of the tire tool to fix a flat on the road.

I installed the wheels on the chassis after dinner (with more ibuprofen of course). Now I have a rolling chassis ready to be married with the body so I can deliver it to the upholstry shop on time.

post-41092-143138875227_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138875265_thumb.jpg

post-41092-1431388753_thumb.jpg

Loaded this morning ready for the marriage with the body. Then, off to the upholstry shop before it rains again...

Now you can see just how small this car really is...

Late afternoon edit... With the help of two Buick buddies and my friend's fork lift, marrying the body to the frame was relatively easy. We didn't even have to unload the chassis from the trailer. The car is now at the upholstry shop.

Now to finish the gas tank, lights, firewall, etc.... Still lots to get ready before putting it in the BCA booth at the Portland Swap Meet next month!

post-41092-143138876779_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

I was too busy loading and unloading stuff when the body & chassis were married last week to take any photos of the two together. I took the top mounting irons to the upholstry shop at noon today, so I brought my camera to get a couple of shots with the body on the chassis. The driver side door is sitting on the frame in front of the engine and the leather I supplied is on the right front tire.

My little Buick is in good company while it gets a fresh interior. The yellow car in the rear of the shop is a Pierce Arrow Roadster! Meanwhile, I am still working evenings in my shop on the fenders, ignition switch, lights, firewall, etc.

post-41092-143138880947_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138880984_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138881021_thumb.jpg

I don't believe the old method of calculating HP ratings listed in my Standard Catalog of American Cars, so if we compare displacement versus weight rather than power to weight, my car should come out ahead.

1912 Model 34 = 1875 lbs with a 165 cu in engine; 11.36 lbs per cu in.

1915 Model C36 = 2795 lbs with a 221 cu in engine; 12.64 lbs per cu in.

But I think I weigh a bit more than Dandy Dave...

Some have commented that this restoration seems to be going quickly. And some wonder when I actually work during the day. I assure you that I am still putting in my 50-60 hours of work every week. Much of it is in the early morning hours because I work with a facility in the Central Time Zone (2 hrs ahead of me out West.

However, today I hit an unexpected delay when I picked up my gas tank from the sand blaster during lunch and discovered several holes that must be sealed before I can complete everything that still needs paint.

This evening, I used solder to seal all the holes and used a rasp to file down the excess. Body filler will work to smooth out the rest of the weld depressions in the tank from when the baffles were welded in.

I also discovered that a previous owner had already used a copper penney to solder-seal a hole near the tank bottom.

post-41092-143138885029_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138885067_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138885103_thumb.jpg

post-41092-14313888514_thumb.jpg

I would also use tank sealer in that tank before you ever try and put gas in it Mark. The trick to tank sealer is to let it dry a lot longer the the dirrections tell you to. When it cures properly, it will last for years. Dandy Dave!

Mark...leave the penny for good luck....when I bought my 16 d-35 originally registered as a 1917 I found a single uncirculated 1917 penny in the seat box with lots of rodent droppings and other crap ...The penny stays with the car for good luck.

Tom,

It is still soldered to the tank and will stay there... It is a Lincoln head cent, so it can't be that old. I couldn't make out the date...

Dave,

I picked up some POR 15 Fuel Tank Sealer and a quart of POR 15 Marine Clean from Chev's of the 40's (I'm lucky they are just a few blocks from my house). The POR 15 Sealer is the stuff they carry for alcohol fueled vehichles so it should work OK for Ethanol additives. The last time I cleaned an old gas tank was for a 29 Buick. I used a whole can of Drano drain cleaner in 2 gallons of hot water with crushed pea gravel. It worked great, but this time I will try the POR 15 Marine Clean that is recommended prior to sealing the tank.

We'll see how it goes....

I still say, Mark's '12 and the Chartruse Lady in an "unoffical" drag race at Concord.

John

:eek:....:eek:....:eek:... I've had Chartreuse up to the Death Defying speed of 45 once. That was fast enough for me in a rear wheel brake only automobile. Dandy Dave!

Tom,

It is still soldered to the tank and will stay there... It is a Lincoln head cent, so it can't be that old. I couldn't make out the date....

Actually, the Lincoln head cent has been in production since 1909, so it could well be an old repair.

I was away for a week on business and checked on upholstry progress on Friday afternoon... THE HAVE NOT YET STARTED! Bummer... They plan to start tomorrow (Monday), so we will see.

I worked on the oil lamps Saturday and Sunday morning. First I polished all the brass and removed most of the dents in the top of the chimney on one of them. I used the rounded rubber handle end of a small hammer as my dolly to punch out the dents in the top as best I could. I used a sack of sugar to hit against since I do not have a shot bag. It worked reasonably well.

Saturday evening I put the first gloss black paint coat on the lamp bodies and applied the second coat sunday morning. At noon I removed all the masking tape and assembled the lamps for the photo below. Just two lamps done this weekend so far.... Geeze this is time consuming!

post-41092-143138902422_thumb.jpg

Wow ! they look great Mark. We havent heard from you for a short time. I thought you were too busy making progress to report. But us working stiffs have other priorities also. I hope the trim shop makes quik work of the interior so you can make your deadline. It is still amazing the progress you have made in a short time while working full time and married also. Keep the progress reports coming, they are great inspiration to us all.

Steve Fisher

Edited by superbuick (see edit history)

I don't believe the old method of calculating HP ratings listed in my Standard Catalog of American Cars, so if we compare displacement versus weight rather than power to weight, my car should come out ahead.

1912 Model 34 = 1875 lbs with a 165 cu in engine; 11.36 lbs per cu in.

1915 Model C36 = 2795 lbs with a 221 cu in engine; 12.64 lbs per cu in.

But I think I weigh a bit more than Dandy Dave...

Especially when you consider Dave would break out the racing stripe Speedos and you generally wear a couple pounds of actual clothing. :D:rolleyes:

Especially when you consider Dave would break out the racing stripe Speedos and you generally wear a couple pounds of actual clothing. :D:rolleyes:

LOL....OOohhh Yyeeeeaaaaahhhh. Let er rip baby! :P:D Dandy Dave!

The rains are back and two more days have passed with little to show in progress. Monday evening and early Tuesday morning I painted and repainted the headlight buckets.

Tuesday evening I polished the silvered reflectors and assembled both headlights. I will check on the upholstery again tomorrw....

post-41092-143138906097_thumb.jpg

Today I stopped by to see how my upholstery was progressing. After two weeks, only the seat bottom was finished. I was told he would know a finish date after next Wednesday....

I told him that I am would like to pick up the car next Friday so I have time to install the fenders, hood, firewall, lights, & gas tank before displaying it in the BCA booth at the Portland swap meet in two weeks.

It's gonna be close!

post-41092-143138909557_thumb.jpg

This afternoon I trailered the car from the uphostery shop and got it home about 3:30 PM. I then installed the firewall, side lights, exhaust system, steering column bracket, and connected the oil sight glass & exhaust cut out mechanism.

My back had enough by dinner time so I took some photos to post here, some ibuprofen, and painted a couple more parts to work on tomorrow.

The swap meet is less than a week away & I still have fenders, running boards, radiator, hood, & gas tank to install in the next few days....

post-41092-143138918323_thumb.jpg

post-41092-14313891836_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138918397_thumb.jpg

I took the carbide generator apart this morning & found the bottom basket to be severely corroded and stuck to the walls of the lower tank. the basket came out in pieces, but the brass tank is in relatively good shape.

The top tank (where the water goes) took a torch to remove the water tight partition that was soldered to the tank walls and around the tubes for the water valve and acetelyne gas. The top of this tank has a severe dent which has kinked the brass and caused pin holes at the ends of the dent. This one will be a challenge to make right again.

post-41092-143138918762_thumb.jpg

post-41092-1431389188_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138918837_thumb.jpg

Mark:

Just to say that we are rooting for you in your progress. I have watched with great interest since you gave me good advice on my non-purchace of the 1914 Buick model 37. Still sorting out the issues with my 1925-25. But we are now able to drive several miles without any major problems.

Good luck and looking forward tothe finnished product.

Larry

1925-25

1937-41

The top can was so severely corroded, it cracked further when I gently tapped out the dents.

I plan to patch the resulting holes with solder and use body filler to smooth out the surface.

I can then paint the top portion of the generator to match the black and brass combination I already have on all the lights. I can use a small hidden acetelyne bottle to run my lights and avoid all the water & carbide process.

This result may actually appear to be more correct for this car & provide a place to store tools on the running board

I worked into the night last night to install the hood former, ignition switch, & radiator badge. I also worked on polishing the carbide generator and used body filler to even out the top can for painting.

I plan to have a "Fender Party" this evening as I pick up the doors, fenders and radiator cover late this afternoon for installation this evening. I took the day off tomorrow to load up the car and set up the display for the swap meet.

Here are a few progress photos...

post-41092-14313892254_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138922578_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138922614_thumb.jpg

Today is April 12th, Swap Meet move in day. Last night three of my Buick buddies came for my fender party. We did get all the fenders mounted, but the spash aprons will have to wait until I make new running boards.

The fenders were badly damaged when I got the car and I believe the running boards made to fit those mangled fenders no longer fit now that the fenders have been repaired. The windshiled frame has no glass, the carbide generator is not yet finished, and I still need to fabricate a tail light bracket.

But, ready or not, this car will be loaded in the trailer today for display in the BCA club booth. Here's how it looks so far....

post-41092-143138923536_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138923573_thumb.jpg

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Congratulations Mark, I have been following your progress and am envious of both your work ethic and your finished product; I'm sure it will be a hit at the swap meet.

Fred