cargeek2014

Car Transport Cost???

Great equipment! I just run a single car unit, can’t compare to those machines. On the show circuit we find it easier to prep and service the car with our own equipment,  after tours and rainy show days having your own trailer makes cleaning up the car much easier. I use one of the large national transportation companies when we move multiple cars, often due to size and weight we can only put four cars on a tractor trailer. Please comment on driving time before and after the electronic logs. Do you expect it to efffect total miles per year, and thus drive up costs and prices? Do you do show transportation? Driving the open road today is very frustrating compar d to years ago, I don’t think I could do it full time. Long hard hours, often with little down time, add in breakdowns, congestion, weather, I just don’t know how most of the drivers do it today. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

To soon to tell. I have had high end cars on my truck. Just hauled a highly modified electronics van for the Government that was pegged at 1.5mill.  I hauled a 500k Porsche and ask the customer why? He had a known company enclosed and he ram his car into the roof of the trailer. Did 20k worth of damage and another, a car got loose inside and did a million in damaged. I also own a single car enclosed along with a 1 and 2 car open bumper pull trailers. 

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

I always thought that hauling the high end stuff was probably a lot more work and aggravation than the more modern stuff. Overly fussy owners, worried every minute where the car is, etc. Add in hard starting and no starts, Oil and fuel leaks,  difficult to tie down, tight fit in the truck, the list is endless. Frankly I am surprised that so many companies are willing to do it. It’s also amazing how cheap many of the car owners are when it comes to shipping, and some dumb SOB who can’t even drive a stick tries to load a car up on the rig......yup, I have seen it with my own eyes. Not a sight I want to see again. Over the last 40 years I have seen three cars fall off the truck, one of them was seven figures. Not too long ago, a three million dollar car was transported by a bootleg hauler. When the car wouldn’t crank over(it had a startex and they didn’t know who to operate it), they decided to jump start the car, and pried open the locked trunk with a crowbar. The battery was under the front seat. But hey.......he did get a good deal on the hauler.  Ed

• Like 1

This is what cut-rate shipping looks like:

5a9962afc38cf_20180302_0921331.thumb.jpg.090988af8eb7f7977cf01183ca7f78e7.jpg

Granted, it's not an expensive car, but the guy has waited nearly two months for someone willing to do it cheap enough and it's going to spend the next three days living on an open trailer driving through a snowstorm. That $1500 we spent cleaning and detailing the car? Gone. All that pot metal trim that was in good shape but "open" because it's original? I recon it's going to get worse with salt in it. Will the driver hurt it by taking it on and off the trailer a few more times between here and where it's going so he can load/unload other cars? The guy didn't even speak English, so I had a hard time explaining just how to start the car. If it isn't  get in and turn the key and pull an automatic transmission into gear, these guys are totally lost. And man, that clutch sure smells fresh!

But at least you saved $150 over the enclosed shipping I arranged for you. Nicely done, Buick buyer. You totally beat me at my own game. I was definitely ripping you off.

Don't do cheap shipping. Just don't. If someone who knows what they're doing tells you what it costs, just pay it. Thinking you can figure it out yourself and save a buck only means that you're screwing yourself in the end. Nobody walks into an operating room and tells the doctor he's too expensive and they'll figure out themselves for less, right? Just because this is driving trucks and not brain surgery doesn't mean you're going to get it right. I'm just heartbroken about this little Buick heading out into the salt and slush for the next few days. We spent a LOT of time on it and really dressed it up. The guy who bought it is a complainer, so I'm sure I'm going to hear about how messed up it is when it arrives. Guess what? Not my problem. You did this to yourself. Sorry.

Just because some shipper says he can do it cheap doesn't mean it's the same as the guy who chargers more. You always get what you pay for. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Just because some shipper says he can do it cheap doesn't mean it's the same as the guy who chargers more. You always get what you pay for. 

That's so very true, Matt.  I once sold a nice little first year Camaro convertible, the fellow had sent me the money for it, and then for two weeks complained about how expensive it was to ship.

Finally, one day a van truck shows up to get the car.  The back of the van was chest high, and I asked the guy how he was going to load the car.  He pulls out two ramps that are JUST as wide as the tires on the car, and about 15 feet long.  I immediately called the buyer, explained the situation to him.  He said no problem, the guy was a cheap back haul, let him load.  While on the phone, I told the buyer "OK, I'm handing the keys to the car as we speak, I no longer own the car nor have any responsibility for safety or condition of car, it's all yours".   I got in my car (this was at a large parking lot) and drove about 30 feet away, sitting in the car while the fellow loaded the car with his helper. 

I've sold a couple of cars where the driver of the truck shows up not speaking English.  That's fine, I know it's not PC to criticize those people, but don't expect me to like it when, as Matt says, you can't even explain how to start a car or any other idiosyncrasies that may exist.

• Like 1

I always figure the cost of shipping into the purchase price.  If it comes out too much to have it properly shipped,  then I move onto another car.  With higher dollar cars it's easy as the shipping is usually a much smaller percent of the whole purchase so it's not that important.  When you mess around with the under 10G cars on the opposite coast,  it really makes the deal seem unappealing fast.   Any cars I find would always be shipped enclosed if in the winter months and if they are anything at all that deserve any kind of care,  will be shipped that way year round.  I've only had one car shipped open,  4 hours away in the summer during a stretch of weather with no rain or storms forecast.

150 less than closed? From my experience,  depending on location, it's 1000 to 1500 more from coast to coast. Depending on the car anf location, we are getting 1000 to 1500 from FL to WA open. Closed is abour 2500 to 3000.

• Like 1

All my years hauling cars,  never seen a set up like this. Someone took a 4x4 2010 Chev 1/2 ton and cut the frame behind the cab and welded a one car trailer to the trucks frame. Rear drive shaft is absent, runs with the front drive shaft with the factory transfer case. Going to find out what it would cost to buy it. Been sitting for 3 years.

20180302_160533.jpg

20180302_160355.jpg

• Like 1

I think someone was selling these in Deals on Wheels a while back.  It was a 1/2 page ad or something from a company.  

Would there be problems legally carrying a car on this as it could very easily be overweight?  Or do you just register it for heavier GVW? I'm pretty sure GM is out of the picture as to any liability at this point. 

I would actually lose the data sticker if it were mine.  They are missing on vehicles all the time due to body repairs.  Of course the data isn’t even realistically applicable, but an irritated officer could easily try to hold it against you.  I would keep documentation of the flat bed load ratings.  Of course, we have no idea if this conversion was done safely/correctly or not.  Certainly, a 2500/3500 front end and drivetrain would be preferred.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Would be no problem hauling small cars, golf carts etc. Ig I bought it, I would upgrade tires, rear suspension with disk brakes and higher ply tires etc. Be perfect for doing local shows and swap meets. Be a good conservation peace at car shows. Been sitting at the auction for 3 years. I offered 2k for it. See what happens.

20180302_084832.jpg

20180302_160421.jpg

20180302_160427.jpg

20180302_160443.jpg

20180302_160512.jpg

20180302_160522.jpg

20180302_160733.jpg

I don't know exactly what Jim means by auto broker, but, there is a service in San Antonio, TX, named UShip (uShip - The Online Shipping Marketplace - سطحه الرياض , Cars or Moves) that is a transportation broker. You tell them what type of vehicle you have, running or not, ship from zip code and ship to zip code and estimated pick up date and estimated delivery date. They have independent car hauler truckers that will give you a bid to move the vehicle. I have not used this service but on ebay a lot of the ads have estimated shipping costs and UShip is usually one of the lowest cost estimates. You might look at some ebay ads to see names of other car haulers. If I used one of these independent truckers I would check with my insurance agent about complete coverage of the vehicle while in transit. A legit trucker will expect payment when the car is delivered and ready to unload. Probably cash usless other arrangements are made before they pick up the car.

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-09 at 7.30.11 PM.jpeg

The definition of its surface east of Riyadh is the service we offer you from:
A defect using a truck that pulls out cars that are located in the east of the sport are located wherever you are in the car that has a malfunction or malfunction