cargeek2014

Car Transport Cost???

countrytravler    183
On 3/26/2016 at 7:07 AM, carshipping said:

I like how most of these people are saying to not work with a broker or to use uShip.  Go ahead and try to find the actual carriers online...... wait.... that's right it is nearly impossible.  This industry is run by brokers because nearly every trucking company in the auto transport industry is a small business that owns one or two trucks.  These companies are not online, do not have websites and have no other way of getting cars to transport unless they use brokers.  As for uShip, I do not know how this company is even allowed to still be in the auto transport industry.  It is against the law to double broker a car and nearly half of the vehicles that are accepted on bids are bids from brokers.  So now the customer has to pay uShip a fee, pay a broker and then pay the carrier.  It is MORE EXPENSIVE.

So, if you people do not know what you're talking about PLEASE don't speak at all.  At the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 you're going to be working with a broker.  It is the simple fact.  Are all brokers good?  Hell no.  Most are piles of garbage.  To find a good reliable broker you need to check out Transport Reviews, BBB, Google+, Facebook, and Google their company name.  Find info on them.  Make sure they are reliable and have good customer reviews.

A brokers job is to get a reliable trucker to take their customers vehicle at a good rate.  Our job as a GOOD broker is to help the customers.  We want to make money, but we also want to the customer to get a good deal as well.

Uship is not a broker. They are a Freight Forwarding Company. Big difference. And there is a ton of owner operators that advertise in the transport world. Pilot, Reliable, horseless carriage to name a few. Been doing this gig since 74 until 5 years ago. I'm still on the Central Dispatch Board. 

countrytravler    183
On 3/23/2014 at 10:03 AM, ADTAutoTransport said:

I HIGHLY disagree with using a carrier over a broker! I have been a carrier since 1997 and an auto transport broker for 5 years. Unless you are skilled in detective work or know your carrier personally you are taking a HUGE risk hiring a carrier. As a broker it is my job to protect my customers from putting their priceless vehicles on any transporter without first checking that their licensing is current, that they have adequate insurance to cover ALL the cars they are transporting, that their safety rating is at 90 or above with DOT, and that they do not have a negative performance rating with the national transportation review company. In addition, I belong to a national board of brokers and carriers who rate the performance of each and I use only transporters that rate 96% and above. Unless you are capable of having all that information in hand you have no idea what is going to happen to your vehicle. Here is a perfect example of hiring a carrier instead of a broker. One of my drivers recently sent me these photos of priceless cars sitting in a parking lot, UNATTENDED, IN THE RAIN! This particular carrier is using this truck stop as a terminal and brings his vehicles here in nice enclosed trailers, drops them and then takes them to their destination (in this case the port) on an open carrier. I know this company and their ratings and if you did you would NEVER use them. Yes, there are brokers out there that are ridiculous and take your deposit then leave you hanging but like all businesses you do your homework and avoid the obvious pitfalls ("get 10 free quotes quick") and you hire a responsible company that has a good rating and references, like mine. Here is a picture that speaks for itself as to why you don't hire a carrier instead of a broker!

reason 6-2.JPG

Bonnie McAlexander, Owner

American Dream Transport Services

Web: www.AmericanDreamTransport.com

I have done this many times. I would gather all my cars if most pickups were in the local area. Go to the truck stop and I would unload my trailer and reload in the order of my drops. Also sometimes to reload because of weight. Just a possible sale pitch from a broker that got this from the internet.

This would not be an enclosed hauler as there are too many cars. Also, I would have cars brought to me at the truck stop if I could not get my rig in your area. I would have a local pickup or bring the vehicle to me if the car could not be driven locally.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, countrytravler said:

I have done this many times. I would gather all my cars if most pickups were in the local area. Go to the truck stop and I would unload my trailer and reload in the order of my drops. Also sometimes to reload because of weight. Just a possible sale pitch from a broker that got this from the internet.

This would not be an enclosed hauler as there are too many cars. Also, I would have cars brought to me at the truck stop if I could not get my rig in your area. I would have a local pickup or bring the vehicle to me if the car could not be driven locally.

I beg to differ.  Look at the cars in that photo.  They were LEFT in the parking lot in the rain period and there is no way anyone in their right mind would have shipped those vehicles in an open trailer. I DID NOT get the picture from the internet.  I don't need to pump my business up on here.  I do just fine thank you and have many references to back that up.  My interest here is only to put facts out there and let the customer decide what is best for them.  If they know a carrier and have done their homework, then go for it.  If they don't, then find a good broker (like me - small company with live people that answer the phone) and let them help you get your vehicle moved.  I have no problem letting my customers speak for me and what I do for them.  Once you are my customer you won't go back to risking your car to a stranger. 

countrytravler    183
4 hours ago, ADTAutoTransport said:

I beg to differ.  Look at the cars in that photo.  They were LEFT in the parking lot in the rain period and there is no way anyone in their right mind would have shipped those vehicles in an open trailer. I DID NOT get the picture from the internet.  I don't need to pump my business up on here.  I do just fine thank you and have many references to back that up.  My interest here is only to put facts out there and let the customer decide what is best for them.  If they know a carrier and have done their homework, then go for it.  If they don't, then find a good broker (like me - small company with live people that answer the phone) and let them help you get your vehicle moved.  I have no problem letting my customers speak for me and what I do for them.  Once you are my customer you won't go back to risking your car to a stranger. 

That statements that I have previously made and the following is not directed to your company.   I have been in this business for 40 plus years as an owner operator and as a broker. This load would not fit in a closed hauler. This is a common practice. Not trying to build it up, been retired for 5 years but still active to help people with transport. People ship 10.000.000 dollar cars on open carriers. I hauled Tom Manahan's (owner of Domino's  Pizza and the Detroit Tigers years ago) 1932 Bugatti Royale  on an open carrier. That was a 8 million dollar car in the 90s. He has a car museum at his Domino's Farm in Ann Arbor MI. I have hauled prototype on an open carrier and on and on. The problem with a lot of brokers that you do not have control over the truckers period. The best broker in this Industry is the (Car Carrier) in CA. You have to meet their criteria to haul cars for them and they pay good money compared to other brokers. Like I said, unless there are 2 trucks that are hauling this load, They will not fit in 1 closed truck. And you can not guarantee that once that car is picked up that it stays on the same trailer. That is hogwash like you guarantee the top spot for a customer. DAS out of NJ would do that and half the time that obligation didn't happen. And that company has been in this gig since 1952 with 200 open and closed haulers with numerous terminals throughout the USA. A lot of bad services would come in when the brokers would not pay the truck drivers and give erroneous timetables that were impossible to meet and on and on. Took me a long time to weed out the good and bad brokers. The Car Carrier, All-American in Burlingame CA and American Transport out of Boston were the best in the Industry for brokering. Most of the time, the transport was paid when the car was picked up. Do you do that with your drivers that you hire?. Post your DOT and Bond info so new customers can look you up to see how your performance is. 

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

18 hours ago, countrytravler said:

That statements that I have previously made and the following is not directed to your company.   I have been in this business for 40 plus years as an owner operator and as a broker. This load would not fit in a closed hauler. This is a common practice. Not trying to build it up, been retired for 5 years but still active to help people with transport. People ship 10.000.000 dollar cars on open carriers. I hauled Tom Manahan's (owner of Domino's  Pizza and the Detroit Tigers years ago) 1932 Bugatti Royale  on an open carrier. That was a 8 million dollar car in the 90s. He has a car museum at his Domino's Farm in Ann Arbor MI. I have hauled prototype on an open carrier and on and on. The problem with a lot of brokers that you do not have control over the truckers period. The best broker in this Industry is the (Car Carrier) in CA. You have to meet their criteria to haul cars for them and they pay good money compared to other brokers. Like I said, unless there are 2 trucks that are hauling this load, They will not fit in 1 closed truck. And you can not guarantee that once that car is picked up that it stays on the same trailer. That is hogwash like you guarantee the top spot for a customer. DAS out of NJ would do that and half the time that obligation didn't happen. And that company has been in this gig since 1952 with 200 open and closed haulers with numerous terminals throughout the USA. A lot of bad services would come in when the brokers would not pay the truck drivers and give erroneous timetables that were impossible to meet and on and on. Took me a long time to weed out the good and bad brokers. The Car Carrier, All-American in Burlingame CA and American Transport out of Boston were the best in the Industry for brokering. Most of the time, the transport was paid when the car was picked up. Do you do that with your drivers that you hire?. Post your DOT and Bond info so new customers can look you up to see how your performance is. 

I absolutely NEVER pay my carriers when they pick up a vehicle.  If you do that you really DO lose control.  It is in my contract with all my carriers (who I screen well) that I will withhold their pay until all damage claims are paid if any.  With the high deductibles that some carriers have on their cargo insurance policies that is the only leverage I have to make sure that deductible gets covered.  Not to mention that if you pay them up front they have no incentive to get the job done on time.  I also have a clause in my contract that I will deduct a percentage of their pay if they are late delivering my vehicles without good cause.  If they tell me they had mechanical problems they are required to show me a work order receipt.  I run a tight ship with my guys and the good ones have no problem signing my contract.  The ones that won't don't work for me.  To work with me your company would have to be in business a certain amount of years, not have had your authority revoked at any time, no constant changes in insurance, have no complaints on Transportreviews.com, have above average DOT safety rating (love the new system), no OOS shutdowns in the past 12 months, and a performance rating on CD of 98% or higher.  Their insurance has to meet my requirements and cargo insurance high enough to cover the number of cars they are able to haul.  I must be a certificate holder on their insurance so I get notified of any lapse in coverage.  Now I can't guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong with my carriers but with the screening I do, problems are at a minimum.  I intentionally have kept my company at a size where I still have control over the day to day operations of both the NC and FL offices.  I require phones to be answered at all times and each transport to be monitored closely and everyone kept up to date on what is happening at any time. 

My name is on the line with every car that gets moved through us.  You know well that it doesn't take but a few bad transports to ruin you in this business.  You can go 5 years with no problems and have a few that get away from you and your ratings go to hell.  I have a 5 star rating with Transportreviews.com (http://www.transportreviews.com/Company/American-Dream-Transport-Services) and work hard to maintain it.  I have the link to TransportReviews.com on my front page of my website and include it in all my correspondence so if ever anyone had an unresolved issue with us they had full access to blast us on there.   Click on the link and check us out.  All my DOT info is right there.  I have nothing to hide.  There is always going to be a difference of opinion as to whether to go with a broker or carrier and I will admit that "broker" is a 4 letter word a lot of the time.  I just don't want to be lumped into that category.  I work hard, pay my carriers well and word of mouth is about all the advertising I need.  If you want to check my business references I will provide you that information privately and you can feel free to contact my biggest customers to see what they have to say as long as you agree to report back here on the results. 

And for the record, that photo did not come from the internet.  My husband, who has been transporting for well over 20 years, was at the 595 truck stop in Davie Florida and was appalled at what he was witnessing.  He took the photo and sent it to me along with the name of the carrier so I could look them up and make sure they never hauled for us. 

Edited by ADTS AutoTransport
adding content (see edit history)

One more thing to mention here - DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers), the huge broker/carrier that was mentioned above - be forewarned, they have taken a major turn for the worse.  Bigger is NOT always better.  http://www.transportreviews.com/company/Dependable-Auto-ShippersThey have had over 50 complaints filed against them in the last month on Central Dispatch and I have been informed that their bond has long been depleted by carriers that have not been paid.  So be careful.  It is always good to come here and ask people who they have used or look up the ones (like me) that claim to be good.  Check them out always on TransportReviews.com and from there you can click on the links that take you right to their licensing info.  This is definitely a buyer beware business and I have to fight off the opinion that ALL brokers are bad every day.  We aren't.  If you find the right one that has your best interest in mind and works FOR you and WITH you then hang on to them for dear life because that carrier that you know and love may not always be able to get your vehicle to where you want to go. 

countrytravler    183
On 4/5/2016 at 7:49 AM, ADTS AutoTransport said:

I absolutely NEVER pay my carriers when they pick up a vehicle.  If you do that you really DO lose control.  It is in my contract with all my carriers (who I screen well) that I will withhold their pay until all damage claims are paid if any.  With the high deductibles that some carriers have on their cargo insurance policies that is the only leverage I have to make sure that deductible gets covered.  Not to mention that if you pay them up front they have no incentive to get the job done on time.  I also have a clause in my contract that I will deduct a percentage of their pay if they are late delivering my vehicles without good cause.  If they tell me they had mechanical problems they are required to show me a work order receipt.  I run a tight ship with my guys and the good ones have no problem signing my contract.  The ones that won't don't work for me.  To work with me your company would have to be in business a certain amount of years, not have had your authority revoked at any time, no constant changes in insurance, have no complaints on Transportreviews.com, have above average DOT safety rating (love the new system), no OOS shutdowns in the past 12 months, and a performance rating on CD of 98% or higher.  Their insurance has to meet my requirements and cargo insurance high enough to cover the number of cars they are able to haul.  I must be a certificate holder on their insurance so I get notified of any lapse in coverage.  Now I can't guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong with my carriers but with the screening I do, problems are at a minimum.  I intentionally have kept my company at a size where I still have control over the day to day operations of both the NC and FL offices.  I require phones to be answered at all times and each transport to be monitored closely and everyone kept up to date on what is happening at any time. 

My name is on the line with every car that gets moved through us.  You know well that it doesn't take but a few bad transports to ruin you in this business.  You can go 5 years with no problems and have a few that get away from you and your ratings go to hell.  I have a 5 star rating with Transportreviews.com (http://www.transportreviews.com/Company/American-Dream-Transport-Services) and work hard to maintain it.  I have the link to TransportReviews.com on my front page of my website and include it in all my correspondence so if ever anyone had an unresolved issue with us they had full access to blast us on there.   Click on the link and check us out.  All my DOT info is right there.  I have nothing to hide.  There is always going to be a difference of opinion as to whether to go with a broker or carrier and I will admit that "broker" is a 4 letter word a lot of the time.  I just don't want to be lumped into that category.  I work hard, pay my carriers well and word of mouth is about all the advertising I need.  If you want to check my business references I will provide you that information privately and you can feel free to contact my biggest customers to see what they have to say as long as you agree to report back here on the results. 

And for the record, that photo did not come from the internet.  My husband, who has been transporting for well over 20 years, was at the 595 truck stop in Davie Florida and was appalled at what he was witnessing.  He took the photo and sent it to me along with the name of the carrier so I could look them up and make sure they never hauled for us. 

Would you PM me the carrier that was doing this? I still say this is not a closed load. DAS moves 100.000 plus cars a year. Yes, they are big doing over 5 mil a year. Things will happen when you are that big. And on the damage issue, when I was a broker years ago, it was illegal to hold money from the driver when damage happens. Even if the car burns down the ground, you have to pay the driver. It was also illegal to deduct from the pay if the car do not arrive in the estimated time given. Do you check to make sure that the cars you book have insurance? Do you make sure the cars you book have no belongings in them? What charge is there when a car becomes an inop? How do your drivers prep an older car for transport? Also, there are a number of brokers that prepay including me when it was documented that the car was in route. The money would be wired into the account or a ComCheck was issued. Never had a problem and if there was a problem, it most likely would happen if was not prepaid. Always had greater results when I prepaid. I would also look on Central that didn't happen that often for prepaid cars. Central for the most posts cheap and double broker freight. What do you charge for a car going from LA CA to Newark NJ? The car would be a 2013 Honda  Civic with no issues. What do you pay the driver?

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

3 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Would you PM me the carrier that was doing this? I still say this is not a closed load. DAS moves 100.000 plus cars a year. Yes, they are big doing over 5 mil a year. Things will happen when you are that big. And on the damage issue, when I was a broker years ago, it was illegal to hold money from the driver when damage happens. Even if the car burns down the ground, you have to pay the driver. It was also illegal to deduct from the pay if the car do not arrive in the estimated time given. Do you check to make sure that the cars you book have insurance? Do you make sure the cars you book have no belongings in them? What charge is there when a car becomes an inop? How do your drivers prep an older car for transport? Also, there are a number of brokers that prepay including me when it was documented that the car was in route. The money would be wired into the account or a ComCheck was issued. Never had a problem and if there was a problem, it most likely would happen if was not prepaid. Always had greater results when I prepaid. I would also look on Central that didn't happen that often for prepaid cars. Central for the most posts cheap and double broker freight. What do you charge for a car going from LA CA to Newark NJ? The car would be a 2013 Honda  Civic with no issues. What do you pay the driver?

I had their name and put them on my do not load list but think their name should not be shared at this time.  My point with the photo was that these priceless cars were parked and left in a truck stop parking lot and left unattended. Even if this carrier was paid to haul them in an open trailer this is inappropriate to do with a customer's car, in my opinion.  It isn't illegal but if those were my cars sitting there I would be ticked off.

As for DAS, you should check their status.  They are going down fast.

All my carriers sign a contract giving me permission to withhold their pay if there is a damage claim until all damage has been recovered. 

Answers to your other questions:  No I don't check to make sure the cars I book have insurance.  That is their risk to take.  My job is to make sure the carrier is covered sufficiently.  I do tell my customers that they are not permitted to put any personal belongings in their car and that if there are any the carrier has the option of taking the vehicle or refusing it.  If a vehicle was not booked as an inop and it is one when the driver arrives it is up to the driver to tell me if they want more to pick it up and I bring that back to the customer and he can either pay the additional fee or cancel the booking altogether.  I don't expect a carrier to do anything other than what they booked for.  As for prepping the car for transport, I expect my drivers to be experienced enough hauling classics to know how to do their job.  Prepaying on a vehicle is always an option for any broker but it is not something I do.  My rates vary based on my customer's needs, current truck availability, time of year, whether or not my customer is in a hurry,  and other criteria.  I work FOR my customer so I am looking to get them the best rate without going too low so as to not be able to get a good carrier.  If my customer wants it as cheap as possible I go cheap as possible with them knowing what that means.  If they want the best carrier then I go high.  My standard rates are medium high because that is what my carriers expect.  If we are talking about a single car for a one time customer I charge a $100.00 deposit and the balance COD.  The COD amount is what the carrier gets paid.  FYI everyone, that is how this works.  What your broker asks for as a deposit is normally what they charge you and the COD amount is what the carrier makes.  If your deposit is higher than 100 - 150 then you are paying too much.  My regular customers pay less.  Like I said, I work for my customer and want their business.  I mostly work with dealerships and specialty cars.  I want them to come back to me if they need another car moved and to refer their friends to us.  It would be stupid of me to overcharge them.

I have enjoyed our conversation and it is good to educate people on how this industry works, what to avoid, what to ask for, etc.  We are doing them a service here.  I respect your knowledge and opinions.

You asked me before for my DOT information.  I trust you looked me up and found that my company has no complaints against them and only positive feedback and that I do have a 5 star rating?

Clickclack    0

It'll porbably run you around $1,000 give or take (assuming it's a standard size). There are a crap load of companies out there that will give you a cost estimate for free, but many of them are brokers so you should be aware of that going in. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's why you may enter your info & get multiple calls. Personally, I've used A-1 Auto Transport Inc twice and I've had no issues with them. Of course, every shipper out there seems to have someone that's got a horror story about how bad they were, but that's my input. 

I agree ClickClack - don't EVER go to one of those sights that offer 10 quotes because they are just a clearing house so to speak.  They are paid to get quote requests and then they sell those to at least 10 different companies and those companies will normally bombard you.  Their only interest is getting your deposit and their job is done and then it is up to the company to get it done for that low ball bid.  It's a racket.

Ready Auto Transport is a major auto transport broker.  If you go to their website (see the link below) you can get an instant quote right there.  I would recommend anyone getting their quote first and then comparing the price you got from them with what else you get.  They are usually medium high to high but a really good company and you know when you get the quote there it won't be sold.

I always tell my customers to go there and get a rate and then compare it with mine and go from there.  We do the same thing, they are just on a MUCH larger scale.

http://www.readyautotransport.com/Default.aspx?DealerID=32&WT.svl=m_prod_tools_trans_ratorangebutton

The whole process of moving was terrible my buddy in LA recommended Generous Auto Transport

They made it easy for me. When I moved from New York to California in 2014

I even was able to load my car with personal Items. 

My car is special to me and very rare, its a 

1974 Bradley

These guys took care me when i needed it most. 

heres the link to there website

www.generousautotransport.com

I spoke to Ronnie or David

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:43 AM, gibsonford said:

I suggest you to check with best auto shipping company where you can get instant quotes and avail reasonable cost for shipping. The transportation is done in a speedy manner and get the vehicle before scheduled time.

Shaking my head.  I rest my case.  PLEASE click on this link!  Once you get there go up top and look at the web address.  This is one of those clearing house bullcrap sites that entices you to get a quote from them and then they sell that request to a minimum of 10 other companies for a minimum of 1.00 each.  You will be bombarded and harassed and pressured and promised the world if you go with them right now..blah, blah, blah.  Would someone in here please follow through getting a quote from this company so I can finally convince you that I know what I am talking about.  Just one more tip for you - when you get to the page where you are asking for the quote check the website url.  If it doesn't say the name of THAT company it is a quote collector and nothing more.  Someone please be brave and ask them for a quote and then report back.

TedBundo    0

I've had only bad experiences with auto transport companies. I now know that who I was dealing with was "brokers" and not actually transporters, but I got so fed up with all of these brokers, one who took my money but never transported my car.... that I just paid my son to go drive the car back for me.

49 minutes ago, TedBundo said:

I've had only bad experiences with auto transport companies. I now know that who I was dealing with was "brokers" and not actually transporters, but I got so fed up with all of these brokers, one who took my money but never transported my car.... that I just paid my son to go drive the car back for me.

Ted how did you find that broker that took your money and never transported your car?  My guess is you went online and went to a website that is a quote collector site, they sold your quote to other companies that have to buy leads, and they bid it at a price they knew would get you but a price that there wasn't a chance in hell they could move it for.  They give all us legitimate companies a bad name.  There are QUOTE COLLECTOR BROKERS and then there are LEGITIMATE AUTO TRANSPORT BROKERS.  Quick way to tell the difference is to look at the URL for the website you are at before requesting a quote.  If the url is different than the company name run like hell.