1948 Lincoln Continental Convertible

Guest paulb

Greetings,

I am going to sell my father’s 48 Lincoln continental convertible. This has around 32k original miles and was part of the Harrah car collection. It is all original with the exception of having an aftermarket 6 volt alternator. The original wiring harness is there so a generator could quickly be returned to the car. The car hasn’t been on the road or turned on in around 18 months but everything had worked with the exception of the radio. I will probably put it on ebay at an absolute auction as I need it to go as my father has to move. Any thoughts on what if anything I should do or ask for it starting out?

Thank you,

Paul

pbowen(AT)artsecret.com

post-45652-143138641906_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, my name is Michael Bengtsson from Sweden and I do own a -46 coupe today and would like to add a conv. too.

Do you have the Lincoln for sale on eBay yet? What price are you asking? Do you have any kind of spareparts for lincoln 46-48?

Please get back to me at e-mail, janmichael56@gmail.com , if you still got the Lincoln.

Regards

Michael, member of AACA

Why do people wait until the last minute? The inference from your post, your words, is that the car has to go at a market loss because your dad is moving (must go) When these expensive, low volume cars are presented in this manner, sometimes you will get inquiries from dealers whose only goal is to flip it at double the price.

So if you want to give it away, then buy a Hemmings Motor News and contact some of the dealers in the magazine. There really is no "wholesale" in the old car market so they will simply offer you 1/2 of the correct market price, then flip it for twice the market price and get a 150 to 200% profit because you need it gone.

Placing it on ebay with a well presented photo detail auction will result in the best price.

If you put it on ebay with minimal contact such as " I don't know much about this car, must go, etc" then I doubt you will get a good result.

A well sorted 46-48 Continental convertible is still a highly sought after car but has a small cadre of fans and collectors.

You are trying to reach this crowd which has the money and knowledge. Be patient. Start the auction at at least $10,000 and set a reserve. A reserve in the area of $35,000 to $50,000.

I doubt the reserve will be met but then you will get follow up contact from the bidders and can negotiate an off-ebay sell.

I am not a believer in price guides as they tend to inflate everything. As a seller I never seem to get price guide prices and as a buyer I usually have to pass over cars where the seller is going by price guides and won't budge.

By not budging, it takes much longer to sell a car, maybe it takes years or the car never sells, drop off the radar and we lose track.

That's my recommendation but let's hear from others.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Thank you

I went today and took quite around 100 photos. I ordered up a new title for the car as my father has lost the old one. It came so that is taken care of. My father got it in his 70s and he is now in his mid 80s. He only took it out a few times every summer and it only has 31,959 original miles on it. It is exceptionally solid but hasn’t turned a wheel in two years. I am trying to sort out his house and everything and just can’t spend the time getting the car sorted out unfortunately. I will probably take your advice and put it on eBay when I get back from a trip in a week. We bought it from a fellow with a massive car collection who had partially traded it with someone from Japan for an Aston Martin. The Japanese fellow got it from Harrah’s.

Paul,

Although it appears your dad can no longer enjoy this fine car, it was a great decision to purchase it and enjoy a car like that in his retirement years.

So many folks in his age group buy hot rods or newer cars due to the ease of driving them and the "everyone has one" mentality.

It han't necessarily dropped in value, so it was not a risky purchase. This is what life is all about, in retirement.

Best of luck but I believe taking a good 1-2 hours in a well planned, well presented ebay auction with a lot of high resolution photos will end in a sale at the maximum value. Ue the format that allows for a 10 day auction so it can get maximum market saturation.

DO NOT use ebay's Buy It Now or else scammers will end the auction early and you will have to start over.

$18K start sounds like a bargain. You'll certainly get more.

What do you have that could be better than the Continental?

I have a 80s BMW 633csi factory option convertible with only 9k miles. They made only a handful. I would probably keep the Lincoln over it but it won’t fit in my garage. I think $18k is a good start. If it goes for $18k I won’t be happy but can live with it. The car hasn’t been run in two years and has a dead battery and needs its fluids changed. I had thought about bringing it in for service, getting it all fixed up etc… but I am so overwhelmed with everything else I have to do with my parent’s situation, that I just can’t handle it now.

I always knew this day would come and I am so glad that we had the house put into a trust a decade ago.

Edited by paulb (see edit history)

The Bimmer will never have the classic status or appeal of the Lincoln. In comparison the Lincoln has far less miles VS age than the BMW.

You should sell the BMW and use the proceeds to enlarge your garage but that's my opinion.

In the Boston area I can't even get a garage built for the money I would make selling both :(

Thank you for your help,

I have it scheduled to start at 9pm EST Friday for 10 days. $18K start with no reserve. Item # 250888748807

74 photos are here

Lincoln - a set on Flickr

Once again thank you. I love the car but have a car of my own already.

Paul

Hi Paul,

It´s a wonderful car you got and as I said before I´d love to own it. Today I own a 1946 Lincoln Continental Coupe with the v12 and that amazing sound the motor got.

I´m sure a lot of members will be upset but I have to ask, You are going to put the car on eBay for $18k, will you sell to me for 20?? I know it´s low but bring the car to Sweden will add another 10k to the total. Every cent I put in to the buy will bring me a higher toll and tax in Sweden, they even charge for the transport and shipping costs.

As a member of the AACA I´m serios and take god care of my cars because I will keep all my old cars driveable and nice.

If you like to email me , janmichael56@gmail.com is my mail.

Have a nice day.:)

Michael Bengtsson, Sweden

Hi Paul,

It´s a wonderful car you got and as I said before I´d love to own it. Today I own a 1946 Lincoln Continental Coupe with the v12 and that amazing sound the motor got.

I´m sure a lot of members will be upset but I have to ask, You are going to put the car on eBay for $18k, will you sell to me for 20?? I know it´s low but bring the car to Sweden will add another 10k to the total. Every cent I put in to the buy will bring me a higher toll and tax in Sweden, they even charge for the transport and shipping costs.

As a member of the AACA I´m serios and take god care of my cars because I will keep all my old cars driveable and nice.

If you like to email me , janmichael56@gmail.com is my mail.

Have a nice day.:)

Michael Bengtsson, Sweden

I appreciate the offer and the money isn’t so much the issue. The problem is the car is not running and I can’t spend the time getting it running and thus getting the top up etc… so I need someone who can just come and pick it up as is and deal with it themselves. I don’t see that being the case shipping a car overseas. I did that once for someone and there was a bit of work on my side I just can’t handle now.

I appreciate the offer and the money isn’t so much the issue. The problem is the car is not running and I can’t spend the time getting it running and thus getting the top up etc… so I need someone who can just come and pick it up as is and deal with it themselves. I don’t see that being the case shipping a car overseas. I did that once for someone and there was a bit of work on my side I just can’t handle now.

Paul,

there will be no problem get the car shipped to Sweden. I´ll arrange all with pick up and things like that just need your support when the trucker will come for the car.

Just one question, did the car run when your father put it in the garage?

Regards

Michael:)

Paul

Sounds like an excellent strategy. I'll have to check it out. I think $18K is a good start. It will weed out the not so serious. I am sure the fans and collectors of these LC's have the for sale websites on "speed dial", so to speak and the word will get around.