Identifying Model of 1918, 1924 DB Touring

Willy

Just bought two Dodge Brothers Touring cars, a 1918 (I think) and a 1924 (I think). How do I know for sure exactly the year and model? I wish to get titles to these, but I need that information. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Serial numbers on the 18 are on top of the frame crossmember on the passenger side just in front of the front seat, about where the passengers heels would be. That car should have "round" bottom doors. The 24 should have "square" bottom doors (1st year) and the serial number is on the passenger side frame rail just above the rear shackle of the right front spring.

Serial Numbers for the '18s run roughly from 217926 to 300000. For the '24s from about 929894-1000000 and then from A 6-647 to A 130000.

Many changes were introduced in the '24 series. The Feb/Mar issue of the DBC News contains a wealth of information on these changes, e.g., from 114"WB to 116" in the various models.

927883 is the last 114" WB Touring Car and 929894 is the first 116"WB.

Trying to get some photos, but it's been awhile, and it looks like they've changed how to do it - "please enter your URL of the image" ?????? I guess I don't use the computer enough to understand what "URL" is! I have the photos in "my documents", but I can't seem to bring them out to put up here. Very frustrating!

Click on advanced instead of post quick reply

Click on manage attachments below this big white box you are typing in

Click on the top or first browse button

Once you click on that it will allow you to go to your documents

open the folder that your pictures are saved in

click on the picture that you want to put here and click on open

click on the upload box

hit submit reply and you are done

if you get any kind of error than it is most likely because the pictures are too large, they have a limit here of size but its a pretty big limit so hopefully you wont have any problems. Hope this helps

The 1st pic is 1919 or earlier for sure. The second pic is 1924 -26 and just by the wheel size I would lean towards 1925. They look like 20". 1924 would have 24", 1925 had 20", 1926-27 had 21". Not saying that is set in stone as I believe there were options.

Check the serial numbers. They will be easy to find as the number areas are exposed on both cars.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, the serial numbers on the 1918 is 211 686 - off the aluminum cross member that holds the transmission and engine to the frame;the serial numbers on the 1924 is A 102 264, off the frame on the right side in front of the firewall, above the spring shackle. I added spaces just as the numbers show. Willy

The "24" was built shortly after May 14th, 1924 so 24 is correct. The "18" was built after Dec 4, 1917 and before Jan 1, 1918. So... by the way they figured the model year back then it would be a 1917 and by todays method a 1918. I can't say for sure if the number on the aluminum mount is the engine number or the frame number. Engine numbers were typically 50,000 to 75,000 higher than the frame (serial) number and were located on a flat just above the carb. On earlier models I think it was just in front of the starter/generator. There should be a steel crossmember behind the tranny on the frame. Look on the top passenger side for the serial number. If all is original and the frame number is lower, that would make it most likely a 1917.

• 4 years later...
Guest rednartso2

Can someone tell me then on what i was told is this 1918 Dodge touring. The only numbers i find are above the right rear axle on a plate screwed to the frame (10743234). Please see pictures.

IMG_20160830_164147.jpg

IMG_20160830_164137.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Gene French

Hey Willy: i don't know your email to update you directly ...i am still unpacking DB parts as well as other car items and have as yet to find the jar full of rim clamp lugs for the early stanweld wheels ...i have not forgotten about these , so i will eventually find the parts ...not much progress on any of my cars ...have been busy with my tool items and a run around with the water people and related planning depts. for my home project ...i have finally prevailed and have all needed permits and have paid fees and am started on my home (after 5 month delay ) ...hope all is well in Montana ...i will be up next year to visit family in Stevensville  and to pickup a T coupe in Helena ...always an optimist...gene french

• 7 months later...

Gene, I have a problem - somehow, my rim ended up leaving Montana, and I think it might have got into the stuff we took to your place. It's the rim that is tight on the wood felloe (?), not the outside rim that holds the tire. I now have the money to buy new wood spoked wheels, but now I'm missing one steel rim. I still could use the wheel clamps. Willy

• 6 years later...

Gene is active on the Ford Model T Club of America site. I sent a link to one of his post with contact information in it via PM. 

• Thanks 2