New Idler Gears For Sale

Otahuhu

From your photos they appear to be rear axle differential side gears, splined to drive the axle shafts. I am not aware that they ever gave much problem. The worm and wheel reduction would be something many have repaced, particularly if sulphur bearing lubricant has been used. Also the reduction ratio is too slow for the way we expect to drive now: New sets have been made from the original drawings from 3 5/8 to 1, to 4 1/4 to one depending on body style and vehicle mass; compared to the original range , usually 4 1/2 to 5 1/8 to 1.

Having diassembled about six of these Timken worm diff off 8 cyl and 6 cyl Stutz and one from a Stearns Knight one would be surprised at the condition of the six bevel gears .Out of all these diffs one set was usuable Conclusion is they are subject to wear but I don't claim to be an expert just 50 plus years working with gears of all types

Yes have fitted 3.8 to 1 worm wheels But if you have one supplied by Phil Bray good luck

What model of Stutz are these gears for as they came orginally from Millar's stock along with other diff parts ??

• 2 weeks later...

I am rebuilding two 1929 Stearns Knight cars. I have disassembled the Timken worm drive rear axles. Do you think your spider gears will fit this rear end? The worm wheels in both are marked 4 1/2 to 1. The carrier is riveted together. Can they be bolted back together at reassembly? Are replacement worm & wheel sets available? There is some gauling on the wheel. Can I reverse it so the worm pulls on the other side? Thanks

From the Stearns knight diff I pulled apart had gears like the 1929 Stutz so I don't believe these will be correct Having said that every diff I open had some differences especially in the gear pitch

Yes you can drill out the rivets and re assemble using shoulder bolt Suggest you ream to size and drill and wire

The Stutz diff are marked on the pinion seal plate 3233L12 or could be 3238J36

I found a Stearns with the number 3233L12 and used that to convert a Stutz to a 3.8 to 1 diff

There have been some 3.8 to one worm wheels made by Phil Bray which I purchased one but even after he was advised there was problems with his worm wheels and worm shipped them out for the customer to correct Suggest you contact someone from the Stutz Club as out of the 14 made there maybe one that can be assembled without major rework and to your cost

Most problems is that people fill the diff with oil containing sulphur that attacks the bronze

Trust this helps

• 4 years later...
Guest StutzDV

Good morning,

I have purchased from Carlo Bray, the 3.8 hob for the Stutz worm and wheel rear end gear sets, and am planning to make another run.  I  have installed 3 sets of these gears in the last few years and found no faults with them. We have found that some housings need an adaptor for the pinion bearing to fit these gears in that housing. Does anyone have more information?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:39 PM, StutzDV said:

Good morning,

I have purchased from Carlo Bray, the 3.8 hob for the Stutz worm and wheel rear end gear sets, and am planning to make another run.  I  have installed 3 sets of these gears in the last few years and found no faults with them. We have found that some housings need an adaptor for the pinion bearing to fit these gears in that housing. Does anyone have more information?

Does anyone have contact details for Carlo Bray please?