Dodge Roadster

Here's an oddball. Dodge : Roadster | eBay

They call it a 1932 DM roadster made in Australia with RH drive. I don't know much of anything about the overseas models, but I'm wondering if this might not be a 1931 instead?

Things to ponder:

1. Dodge didn't make a domestic roadster in 1932...a few convertible coupes, yes, but nary a roadster.

2. No headlight bar.

3. One cowl vent.

4. Look like 31 door handles?

5. Has a 1932 dash.

6. No cowl lights.

7. Headlights look 1931?

Whatever it is, it's cute, rare and cheap...so far.

I believe that most of it is 1932 PB Plymouth with a 1932 Dodge radiator and maybe even about a 1930 Plymouth roadster body. The 1932 DM was an oddball...and VERY rare! Here's another one. One of 48 built...

post-37352-143138605951_thumb.jpeg

post-37352-143138605953_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks for posting those photos, Dave. I have never seen the four door sedan version of the DM4. The two door convertible sedan that I posted a photo of used to belong to a guy I knew in San Diego and had some 1937 Chevy or so trunk grafted onto the rear. Some other guy owns it now and I believe it is well under way to being restored at this time.

Guest stephen48

Dave , is the DM sedan still in NZ or has it gone to USA ? .It was the only one I have ever seen here!

Dr. Joe,

The DM-4 motor was a Plymouth motor, either a PA or maybe a PB. I don't really have time to reserch it but it's one or the other.

I'll answer that.....

post-37352-143138608491_thumb.jpg

Of the DM my Used Car ID Guide says:

1932 DM 4 cyl 21.03hp 3-5/8 x 4-3/4" Floating power engine suspension. Free wheeling. Automatic clutch. Redesigned emblem on radiator. No head lamp tie rod. Double drop bridge frame. Tyre size 18 x 5.25 A.O.C.

Don't know what AOC means.

HTH

Manuel in Oz

Hi Dave,

You said you have been researching the 1930 to 1932 Dodge production in Australia. Just a question....have you ever come across importation figures from the States / Canada to Australia of the 1934 Dodges. I have a Budd Body 34 Sedan and have been trying to find info of cars exported from the States. Even my build sheet is missing in the archives in Detroit so I was wondering if a small number were made and exported to Australia / N.Z. ?

Any help appreciated

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hello....or should i say g'day

I'm the lucky winner of the dm plymouth/dodge. I was out searching for info and a few pics for reference when I came across this discussion and decided to join in.

Please feel free to BOMBARD me with information regarding these cars.

I am looking for wiring diagrams, gas pedal, and a few other things that will arise once I get a chance to tear into it.

For now I am stuck restoring another rag top mopar that belongs to my wife. She is not allowing me to work on the new one till hers is done. Needless to say I am working double time to get it back on the road.

Thanks for the forum and looking forward to seeing some info.

Mop

post-78990-143138660785_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the welcome.

I am looking for a wiring diagram rather than a harness. I can create the harness myself but I was hoping someone could help me out with a diagram.

Especially for the switch that is located on the end of the steering column.

I could use a steering wheel as well. Mine is soft and bendy like Gumby.

Anything you may have info, parts, patterns would be appreciated.

Mop

post-78990-143138661685_thumb.jpg

Yes...I am very happy with the car.....amazingly rust free for it's age.

I am tortured between building it back stock or building it back as a true 50's hot rod.

I'm sure I will get all kinds of crap for the latter. It's just such an interesting car I could see it either way.

Mop

Whoa.....I think this car was available on e-bay for a while.

I'm kinda shocked that no one here made a bid for it. Finding parts for a right hand drive conglomocar may take a lifetime and I don't have that left in me. Sometimes you have to make a decision based on reality.

I would consider a trade for your coupe if your really interested. I just want to be sure that I have the parts I need before I tear into it. Right now I could get it up and running and just leave it as is.....a feral.

That may be the direction I go at first. Like I said I have been scouring the internet for info and parts since I bought it and so far I have found very little. I have even made contact with a few gents in Australia and they are looking around for me. This could be an exercise in futility.:(

Don't be to quick to judge me.....put yourself in the same situation. We can all be rational about what will eventually become of this car. Either way it will always be a cool car that's for sure.

Mop

Mmmm...going from a 6 cylinder to 4, but...closed top to open top. From left hand drive to right hand drive and from Oregon to Missouri......but from a low production coupe to a lower production DM4 roadster. I will definitely have to think more about this.

It takes years to find parts in many cases for these cars, it can take years to gather specific information concerning many makes of cars, don't blame your age as an excuse to not restore it as an original car. You always have a choice and you can enjoy the car in many ways and never clock an hour driving it.

Its on your personal preferences, I would suggest though that if you have any inclination of possibly restoring it as an original car that you don't suggest there being a possibility of streetrodding it unless you disclose that within a site that caters to that sort of artistic deviation. ( I was going to say garbage but out of kindness to the ever elusive Jack M I restrained myself ) It will be difficult to get any ones help that appreciates an original car.

I do hope you can find enjoyment with the car as it was intended though and John trading him your coupe in my opinion would be a very bad decision.

Well my intent is to try to restore it to drivable condition and make it look nice and be mechanically sound. I already did a show pony and I hate to drive it because of that. Age is not really my concern as I'm only 46. More an issue with patience as once I start something I have to finish it. It's a good thing that for now I have to continue working on my wife's car. I can keep looking for parts for mine in the meantime. Like I said I don't plan on tearing into it until I have the parts that I need. There in no sense in doing that when I can get it running and drive it as is.

A floor board pattern would be nice. At least some pics of what it should look like. I am missing from the front of the seat forward to the firewall. I believe it is wood so I shouldn't have to much problem making it.

And if you don't want to help out that's fine as well...I can respect the purist's point of view.

Thanks

Mop

Ease up of the crudness (lots of laughs) of the Aussie bodies - down under the main manufacturer was Holden and I know of several including my own that have lasted the test of time.

can send you the link to the production numbers if you like!!

Good luck with it - need any help down under give us a yell

Cheers

Yours should probably look like the reverse of this? Don't know how different '31 is from '32 and from coupe to roadster. I would think that yours would have a similar center metal piece over the transmission. Please pardon the crude sketch. Without looking at the car, it's a little different than what I drew (holes for steering column and pedals....). You get the idea. I can take photos of mine if you like.

post-37352-143138662292_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Thanks for the help. A picture wouldn't be bad either. As far as bodies go this one is a bit crude. It's a TJ Richardson bodied car.....supposedly. Seems like they either didn't have the time, tools or skills to make it look nice/match up to the front end of the car. The belt line stops right where they started their body work...just behind the doors and to match the belt line they just painted the pattern on. It doesn't line up at the bottoms at all just above the frame. Now I don't know if this is original work or the work of a hobbyist so I won't rush to judge.

I don't want to insult our Australian friends so lets just leave it at that.

Thanks for the info...keep it coming.

Mop

post-78990-143138662631_thumb.jpg

Hi Mop

I think you have conacted me via email.( Must be you if you have a D.M. Roadster.)

For general info "the Dodge Story" , which is not always correct, states 'Another novel model produced in CANADA for export ONLY was the Series D.M.

This car was equiped with a 4 cylinder 65 horepower engine & was offered in a complete array of body types that included a phaeton.

The Series D.M. vehicles resembled the large American Dodges in most respects thiugh there were some important styling differences.There were only 16 examples of the 4 banger D.M. Series built, and these were the last of the 4 cylinder Dodges ever built in North America.

(Hey when did Canada belong to North America?)

Beetles

G'day Ian

Just a thought.

When I tried to get the build card for my 33DP Brougham they couldnt find it as they assumed it was built in Canada.

Two and a half years later one of our club members, who's dad works at the museum, found it easily as it was built in the U.S.

beetles

Mop

No insult taken there are few stories running around about the quality of bodies in Austrlia at the time - TJR and Holden (GMH) were the two biggest body builders in that time.

Have attached a link from the National Libary of Australia that has about 25 Pictures of the contruction line (if you would like it that) it is probably a bit early 1922 and on but will give you an idea - Just copy and paste and should bring them up

Search Results

I have a 29u Ply Roadtser I am just starting and would like to get a couple of pics of the bows and steel for the roof - I think they would be the same - is there any timber in the body?

Cheers

Wayne