Sign in to follow this  
Yellowriv

Speight Buick, Hollywood California

Hi everyone.

I have a 65 Riv which was purchased new from Speight Buick, 6909 Santa Monica Boulevard, Hollywood Calif., on 7.2.66. Whilst what looks like the original building is still there, its now a truck rental place and looks pretty forlorn.

So I can complete my cars timeline, does anyone happen to have a

period shot of this dealership?

Weird request, I know but.....

Thanks for your help.

I did a google search for Speight Buick Hollywood and found a car club newsletter featuring a members Buick originally purchased from Speight Buick. Try ontacting that owner and he or she may have answers.

Also, my first choice would be to contact the Hollywood Chamber of commerce. They may have contact information to surviving relatives of the Speight family.

Also, the Hollywood Historical Society may have photos.

I did a search on Buick dealership photos. I found the best picture of a topless gal on the hood of a 1960 Buick. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I did a search on Buick dealership photos. I found the best picture of a topless gal on the hood of a 1960 Buick. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

is this where I sign up to have a link PMed?

Its funny I found this thread when looking for Speight Buick myself.  

Why you might ask?  I now have this same car in my garage and going through the paper work led me straight back here,  . . . .not exactly a dead end but certainly circular....

PS I did not see the girl however.

On 7/12/2011 at 10:59 AM, bb1970 said:

This thread is worthless without pics.

On 7/12/2011 at 0:59 PM, bb1970 said:

I've seen that picture. 🤓 Do you, like me, wonder where the hood ornament disappeared to?

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

I've seen that picture. 🤓 Do you, like me, wonder where the hood ornament disappeared to?

A hood ornament on a 1960 Buick would be offensive.

I can imagine the conversation in the design studio:

"How about the Buick family crest in an oval?"

"Na, they are all 80 years old. It would just be blurry."

"Now about a nude Goddess with wings!"

"Na, they are all 80 years old, it would just be blurry."

"Maybe a free can of paste wax?"

"Nope, over budget."

I have not been able to find a photo of the original dealership either but did come across Irv White Buick, originally located in Beverly Hills

6909 Santa Monica Blvd

Google Maps still show an image of what looks like a former car dealer though Speight appears to be long gone site now housing Avon Studio Transportation.

Also a reference of Speight Buick in the LA Times  from 1969

Most recent reference I can find is from LA Times 1981 for Speight Buick GMC Trucks at the same address

IRV White Buick Beverly Hills 1960, 9231 Olympic Blvd, Beverly Hills

Registered in California as a business in 1959

Irv White Later moved to LA Brea & 3rd  there from at least 1972 – quite close to the original Speight Buick address

The Irv White deal;ership seems to have survived loner than Speight, qand i decided to buy a few Irv White Dealer trinkets to use until the day when I can find something from Speight.

I managed to find these two  photos of Speight License plate frames, one of which was sold at an auction a few years back.

Speight-Buick-GMC-Hollywood-California-Vintage-Dealer-License.jpgs-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.cbed1c7f54feca07076ce8e0994980ae.jpg

vintage-speight-buick-hollywood_1_cc89174cc5f3ea80d82c87fcdbb15665.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mr Jones (see edit history)