1913 Metz 22 - Our first project

These pages are from Volume II of P.M. Heldt's Gasoline Automobiles (1911 Edition). He doesn't actually have much to say about full elliptic springs and his statistics at the beginning of the chapter say that only 5% of cars in 1910 used them. However, his discussion of spring attachments may be useful. I would leave the curved piece in as you have it but make it out of metal. I would also add the "cushion" Heldt talks about although his "2 layers of 8oz duck soaked in white lead" is probably not doable. I'd use a piece of offset printing blanket. Its very tough, rubber bonded to cloth – completely waterproof and much denser that it looks. Blankets are very precisely made and when the get even a small "dent" in them, no longer usable. Every offset printer has dead ones laying around. (We used the damaged ones to print envelopes if the dent wasn't in the place where the printing in the corner went.) I can send you some if you need it... I've go more than I'll ever use.

The springs on my Mitchell had leather pads... very dried out and hard as rock now.

Heldt P464.jpg

Heldt P465.jpg

Heldt P466.jpg

Heldt P467.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you,

Luv2rench is doing a very good job and it's a pleasure to be of some help. I tend to proselytize for DIY very early car restoration so, if you have a problem I might be able to help with, don't hesitate to contact me. I freely admit to having no interest in "show quality" restorations, believing that over restoration is no different than under restoration. To my mind, getting them working, safe to drive and looking reasonably good is a workable and reasonable goal for anyone willing to put in the labor.

One interesting thing about early cars that I never see mentioned is that they are very simple machines made of durable materials. There is no pot metal and most of the parts were made on relatively simple machines... in that sense they are easier to refurbish than many 1940s and 50s cars with elaborate parts that can't reasonably be fabricated or are made of plastic and other materials that degrade with time regardless of how much use they get.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a prototype for the bottom mount that is close enough that I'm ready to make the real parts.  All the top pieces have been completed so once I get these bottom pieces made I'll be able to hang the axles!   Actually I'll only be able to hang the front axle as the rear axle has a broken spring clip.  I'll need to get that fixed before I can hang the rear axle... but I'm getting closer.  It will be a big momentum boost to see the front axle attached to the chassis.

IMG_1421.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Joe.  Yes, I was able to get Andy (who now has 3 Metz Roadsters) to look at his and he was able to confirm they were indeed wood.  He was also kind enough to send some very detailed pictures of the area and thus I've been able to make some good parts.  Even the 'simple' retaining brackets had some extra detail that I hadn't noticed in other pictures (like the bump-outs that keep the U-Bolts from wandering too far away).   I believe the wood used in the spacers was either Hickory or Ash.  I'll probably go with Hickory.

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Of the North American Hardwoods, Hickory is the beast. :)

Wood Species Specific Gravity* Compressive Strength (psi) Bending Strength (psi) Stiffness (Mpsi) Hardness (lb)
Alder, Red 0.41 5,820 9,800 1.38 590
Ash 0.60 7,410 15,000 1.74 1,320
Aspen 0.38 4,250 8,400 1.18 350
Basswood 0.37 4,730 8,700 1.46 410
Beech 0.64 7,300 14,900 1.72 1,300
Birch, Yellow 0.62 8,170 16,600 2.01 1,260
Butternut 0.38 5,110 8,100 1.18 490
Cherry 0.50 7,110 12,300 1.49 950
Chestnut 0.43 5,320 8,600 1.23 540
Elm 0.50 5,520 11,800 1.34 830

Hickory

0.72 9,210 20,200 2.16 1,880
Maple, Hard 0.63 7,830 15,800 1.83 1,450
Maple, Soft 0.54 6,540 13,400 1.64 950
Oak, Red 0.63 6,760 14,300 1.82 1,290
Oak, White 0.68 7,440 15,200 1.78 1,360
Poplar 0.42 5,540 10,100 1.58 540
Sassafras 0.46 4,760 9,000 1.12
Sweetgum 0.52 6,320 12,500 1.64 850
Sycamore 0.49 5,380 10,000 1.42 770
Walnut 0.55 7,580 14,600 1.68 1,010

I picked a nice 8/4 board today from a local sawmill, it sure is some tough stuff.  I'm glad my tools are in top shape.  I got a good start working on the lower spacers and with any luck should get the rest done this weekend. 

• Like 2

Seems pretty similar to Hickory, definitely something that could be used.

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .66, .77

Janka Hardness: 1,700 lbf (7,560 N)

Modulus of Rupture: 19,400 lbf/in2 (133.8 MPa)

Elastic Modulus: 2,050,000 lbf/in2 (14.14 GPa)

Crushing Strength: 10,200 lbf/in2 (70.3 MPa)

Shrinkage: Radial: 4.6%, Tangential: 7.2%, Volumetric: 10.2%, T/R Ratio: 1.6

• Like 1

MAG473:

I measure 30" for my front springs and 33" for my rear springs.  I do not know if this is correct, but I do know of several Model 22's that have those measurements.  Metz used what was available at the time so I'm sure there is a Metz somewhere with 36" rear springs.

The front axle is now hung from the frame rails!!   I have the parts completed for the rear axle but I still haven't repaired the broken spring clip so I can't mount the axle.   Getting the old clip off has so far proved impossible but that's probably more a lack of skill on my part.  I'm going to switch my torch to Propane/Oxy and try again with a rosebud tip.  I'm running low on the Acetylene and, frankly, I really haven't gotten comfortable working with it after that day I looked at the regulator and it was well past 15psi.  I did get the regulators rebuilt and they don't creep anymore but mentally I'm still not quite over it.  I really need someone else in the shop that has some experience to work with me some.   Once the mask goes on I get tunnel vision and really lose awareness.  It is hard to be an apprentice when you're the only one in the shop. :)

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Luv2wrench,

What it the measurement from top to bottom at the point where the bolt is located to hold the leaf springs together.  I located a company in Ohio that makes these springs.  Need to give them the dimensions to determine how much of an arc is required.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 8:51 AM, JV Puleo said:

How about Black Locust. I don't suppose it's commonly sold but I have about 3 acres of them.

jp

Locust was commonly used in the New England area for the rollers on the sterns of fishing boats to help get the dredges on deck. A nick name given it is “snag” as the grain is usually very twisted even in straight lengths on the tree making it a tough wood to split but a good wood to turn on a lathe depending on the item you wanted to turn. The wood is of a greenish tone like pistachio. Don’t believe it’s working quality is as good as hickory. It is oily and holds up very well to the elements making it especially good for fence posts.

• Like 1

In our part of NE, the old expression was "Lasts 5 years longer than stone".

I've only tried making something out of once... riser blocks for a workbench where the bottom of the legs had rotted off due to a wet basement. That was ten or 15 years ago. The basement isn't as wet as it was but the blocks look the same now as when I made them.

I believe the first American icebreaker was built entirely of that wood. It was built in Scotland and the wood sent to the shipyard for the purpose.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2017 at 4:20 PM, MAG473 said:

Luv2wrench,

What it the measurement from top to bottom at the point where the bolt is located to hold the leaf springs together.  I located a company in Ohio that makes these springs.  Need to give them the dimensions to determine how much of an arc is required.  Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I missed this post.  I'm confused as to which direction to measure.  There are 4 bolts that had the leaf springs together.   There are two that hold the top set of springs to the bottom set of springs.  Then there are two bolts that hold the springs together that form the top set and the bottom set.   I think you referencing these bolts and want to know the 'height' as I've already given you the 'length'.  I will be out in the shop later this afternoon and I will measure that.  If that isn't correct, I believe I've given you the other measure a few posts above.  

I very much apologize for the delay in getting the measurements.  The front springs measured from outside to outside is 9.5"  The  rear springs measure 11.5" (again, outside to outside).   My front spring are new so I believe those measurements to be correct.  The rear springs are original and thus a bit tired though I don't believe that would change the "resting" arc very much... so that's probably a fairly good measurement.

Please do post a picture when you get the new springs made, I'd love to see what they look like and might like to order a pair of rear springs.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I'll follow up when I get the springs.

ThLuv2wrench,

• 1 month later...
On 16/10/2012 at 9:37 AM, Luv2Wrench said:

Thanks to the efforts of fellow AACA members, I now have 90% of the major parts for the car. The parts swap in Hershey was a great success and I now have the seat, belly pan, chain guards and gas tank. I set the parts on the frame to do a quick mock-up. While the restoration hasn't even really started yet, seeing the major parts together makes it really look like a car and is great motivation. I managed to get the air compressor out of my truck and into the corner of the shop. My goal is to have it wired and install air lines by Thanksgiving. Once that is complete I can sand blast and epoxy coat the parts. Hopefully I'll be welding by that time and I can get the chassis completed and on wheels. I can then start on the body work and getting the drive line functioning again. Perhaps this spring I can work on the engine and start getting the car together.

I found this post which shows the seat tub, which appears to show a tacking strip around seat backs, can anyone advise as if it was timber and what size, thanks for any help

On 16/10/2012 at 9:37 AM, Luv2Wrench said:

post-65715-143139216535_thumb.jpg

post-65715-143139216556_thumb.jpg

E

• Like 1

On 07/03/2013 at 7:24 AM, Luv2Wrench said:

First step was to media blast, remove the tank straps and the pop-rivets that were added in some failed upholstery job. I then bumped out the major dents and got it roughly straight. I added a quick coat of primer so that I could see the low/high spots and worked those out. I took the wood frame out and blasted again.

post-65715-143141784106_thumb.jpg

post-65715-143141784121_thumb.jpg

post-65715-143141784134_thumb.jpg

Looking through Luv2Wrench restoration, found his seat tub 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I forgot to put a note here that I switched projects because I had reached the point that I could do less and less on the Metz without more tools, experience and, as always, money.  My brother helped me buy a 1952 MG TD and has paid for the parts to do the restoration.  That thread is linked below.  As for the Metz, the scheduled time to restart is January 2022... nearly 11 years after I first started the project.   In hindsight, getting a project car like the Metz while having kids that are 10, 12 and 14 years of age wasn't the best idea.  It was going to be a father/daughter project which was great but the daughter lost interest really fast as there was almost nothing we could really do together.   The next project was also a father/daughter project and we did get a little further on that but then she had to go and graduate from college and head to Arizona for graduate school.  I will say that I'm absolutely happy that I did venture way, way out of my comfort zone and take on a project that I didn't have the skills, time, tools and/or money to do.  While it has take over a decade... I now have more of all of that and I'm itching to get back to the Metz. In addition to the lathe, I now have the complete Hendey family:  metal shaper, metal planer and universal milling machine.  Of course they're all 100+ years old and will need to be restored before I can learn to use them but that's where the fun is.  

• Like 8

I've been anxiously awaiting you getting back to the Metz. And you are right about the tools. There are a lot of advantages to doing an early car but buying the needed parts is not one of them. That said, you may be almost as well equipped as the Metz factory was when it was built...and you'll find that the parts you need to make are perfectly suited to the sort of machines that they were originally made with. A lot of design is governed by "how can we make it" rather than what will work best. Modern machines aren't always the best for this sort of challenge - or at least don't give you any advantage over the old ones.

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

With the MG project wrapping up I've been thinking a lot about what needs to be done on the Metz and have been searching around to see if I could find more parts.  Fortunately some parts did come on the market and I bought them.  Today the "car" was delivered!!  It is basically an engine and most of the chassis/driveline.   One of the most exciting and valuable things about this "car" is that it is assembled and it has a LOT of original nuts/bolts and other hardware.  It provides a lot of details on how things were put together and is an incredible resource for making sure my restoration is as exact as possible.  I paid the price I did to buy it and have it shipped basically for that reason.  Over the years I've collected a lot of pictures and have done tons of research but having this car with original hardware in (mostly) assembled form is priceless.  There's no way my restoration would have been as exact without having these details.  I'm absolutely thrilled to have it!!

jThMvCB.jpg

The condition of these parts far exceed most of what I have and will be a huge help.  I took the head off the engine and looked at the cylinders/pistons/valves and they are in fantastic condition.    With the extra parts I come close to having enough to build two cars and have given it serious thought.  I think, however, that I will instead just pick the best parts and complete my car.  I know of a couple of Metz owners that would benefit from any extra parts and I think helping their projects out is the best path forward. 

I don't expect to start on the Metz again until some time in the spring but I'm VERY much looking forward to it.

• Like 14

Dave...there is a certain kind of logic in that statement...but...perhaps there are cars out there that need just ONE piece to put them back on the road as completed vehicles for posterity.  I am such a case..needing friction contact plate and gear drive.  The rest of the car is just sitting there..finished..waiting for that all important part.  Shame really not to complete what is doable quickly than to start a (perhaps) several years long project which might..or might not...get done.   Cheers...Ken

• Like 2

Ken,I’m sorry I know how frustrating it must be to have it that far along and not be able to finish and drive it,I’ve seen so many cars parted out early on that now would e some ones pride and joy,I didn’t mean to step on anyone’s toes,when I was young my dad and my antique car mentor always said if you don’t save them who will,I guess I’m still a little punchy,sorry if my comment was out of line,    Dave

Dave...I do not think your comment was out of line.   It is just another opinion and I honor your right to hold same.  I just see,  in this case...that a rebuild would be 90% (perhaps) new stuff or put together...while a case like mine would simply be replacement parts.   It is just an opinion of where the greatest..and perhaps...the fastest and most beneficial use of those parts can be obtained.   Again....just my opinion.  Cheers...Ken

There are really good thoughts on both sides of this.  When I saw the parts online my first thought was to speed up my restoration.  When I got better pictures of the parts I certainly had second thoughts. I made some inquires to see if I could obtain what was needed to do two cars roughly at the same time.  I even went so far as to do a spreadsheet to figure the costs.  The end results was sure, I could do two but it would require extensive sheet metal fabrication and a lot more time.  Time that I could spend saving the other hopeless basket cases that tend to follow me home.   I've decided that I could take on the responsibility of shepherding the extra parts to homes where they can live on in another car.  That decision got a bit easier when I finally realized that what I really bought is two halves for two different cars along with a friction drive wheel for a third car.  The engine is very late 1913 and the front chassis pieces agree with that date.  The friction drive wheel appears to be even later than that and was never mounted to the engine.  The rear chassis has the older brakes and I would guess it is before 1912.

I can assure everyone this... the extra parts will either go directly to someone now or the will be restored and advertised for someone to find in the future.

• Like 2

I endorse that idea. Assembled into a car it will always be a "bitsa". Not that that is bad (I think my own car fits that description) but the really important issue is "will they be saved." Obviously they will and what you don't need will go to someone that does...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing progress on the Metz, Jeff.  Good luck, looks like a fun project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Getting ready to start the Metz restoration again!   I paused the restoration because I didn't have the tools (machine tools), money or experience I needed to finish the restoration properly.  As mentioned above, my brother funded the restoration of the 1952 MG TD which allowed me to get a ton of experience.  During the 5 year restoration I spent a ton of time looking for machine tools and I was able to acquire everything I needed.  Of course all of them need restorations!   Those restorations have already begun with the first project being a Van Norman No 12 horizontal/vertical milling machine.

image.jpeg.e1ff46eeb9ee8dc0b5f9acf4d85fbfe1.jpegimage.jpeg.527fa24b84362120b76b03bb899dab5d.jpeg

I will also be rearranging the shop so that the back third is a proper machine shop.  I will be extending the shop some to help out with this but that will come later as the weather isn't that great right now.  

So here's the list of the work that needs to be done in the order I'll tackle them.  

Racine power hacksaw

Hendey Horizontal mill

Hendey Shaper

Hendey Planer

Add DRO to Hendey lathe

Add DRO to Van Norman

-------------------------

Monarch Junior lathe

Monarch 10EC turret lathe

There's a lot of them and it will be a lot of work but I do believe all the machines are "functional".  As such the restoration will mainly consist of figuring out how to apply power to them.  There's a good chance the Hendey shaper and planer will be powered off a mini line shaft.  It just so happens that their drive pulleys are on opposing sides.  The shaper's is on the left and the planer's is on the right.  I'm planning on positioning the planer along the rear wall and the shaper to the right of it.  That will have both the drive pulleys together and I can have a motor on the floor and a small line shaft above.  The planer came with some line shaft stuff and I think it can be adapted.  I plan to make a hole in the wall for the table so I can save some space in the machine shop.  For the rest of the machines I'm using 3-phase motors with a VFD.  The VFD allows me to reduce the speed of the motor such that I can directly drive the machine.  In addition I can vary the speed of the machines as needed for various materials and operations.  

The two Monarchs (below the dashed line) are not necessary for the Metz restoration to begin so I'm not sure if I'll be restoring them now.  The Junior has a taper adapter attachment which might prove useful.  The 10EC is ridiculously accurate which would be useful for the wheel bearing work.  Technically the shaper and planer are not strictly needed but since they'll go in the very back of the machine shop area they'll need to be restored first.

Since this is a car forum and not a machine tool forum I'll limit the posts about the machine shop restoration to one post for each machine complete.

IMG_E3328.jpeg

• Like 11