BCA National Meet - 2013

Guest BCAOffice

I remember when we were having the National Meet Coordinator discussion on this forum a while back. Some of the same venue locations mentioned this time were mentioned back then, too . . . especially trying to move the meets around the country each year, so more BCA members could have the opportunity to attend without having to drive long distances and such. Now that 50th Anniversary events are in the mix, some might be a little stronger in their suggestions of particular, Buick-related venues.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Roberta mentioning a 50th Anniversary BCA meet to the Flint operatives! Sure, they might be on "the list", but this might also give them a little advance notice that a bid might be forthcoming at some time in the future . . . UNLESS "The Committee" might decide differently and not offer a chance for the Flint operatives to submit a bid as "The Committee" might have other ideas. From some of the earlier comments from BCA operatives, there seems to be a huge possibility that much discontent can possibly brew over the venue and possible format of the BCA 50th Anniversary National Meet. To me, this is something we DO NOT need--period!

Certainly, "The Committee" can and needs to plan BCA National Meets up to about 5 years in advance, as that's similar to how corporations do things for their annual conventions. Plus there are Tier I and Tier II convention cities in the USA. These cities, including Dallas, TX, have a very active CVB organization which solicits business for their downtown convention center . . . as that is a huge economic generator for the City of Dallas. Enough that, amid protests, they built an on-site Convention Center Hotel to be in compliance with maintaining their Tier I convention city status.

From my observations, NONE of these convention center hotels will be inexpensive lodging, but just the opposite. Not unlike when a nice hotel could be $100.00/night in prior times. Now, with many CVBs perceiving their cities to be "destination cities", some might not even be willing to plan anything with lodging at prices less than $100.00/night, or thereabouts.

Many BCA members seem to want a "one stop" situation at the host hotel. That seems to be the BCA's heritage and culture. Nothing wrong with that. But I can tell you some horror stories, related to me by a member of the OCA's North Texas Chapter about their first foray into hosting their first national meet at a host hotel. This gentleman worked very hard to keep the problems out of the view of the meet participants, but he also knew how to do things the next time they did it several years later at a different northern Dallas area hotel.

As TxBuicks can attest, we almost had a "dream proposal" for our last BCA National Meet in North Texas -- a hotel that we could have all to ourselves. One hitch . . . not enough banquet space, although they offered to put up an air conditioned, wood-floored tent on their front lawn for us. To us, as I recall, we felt that was not quite nice enough for a BCA National Meet Awards Banquet. We hated to make another choice, but that and a few other side issues pretty much dictated a different choice in our selection process.

Another situation for a "dream meet" would be in Fort Worth, TX. Adjoining the recently-remodeled Tarrant County Convention Center is a similarly-recent convention center hotel attached to it. The annual new car shows are held there. It could be completely indoors AND air conditioned, with the host hotel right next door. But not for $100.00/night lodging or any other less expensive lodging options nearby, considering it's all downtown. I also suspect that as the price of renting the exhibition hall, in addition to other meet overhead expenses, the basic cost for attending would be out of the price range of many BCA members, with all due respect. Sure, there are some options out there that some CVBs might "bite" for a BCA National Meet bid, but when they find out that our members' pockets aren't as deep as some corporate entity, some of those potential bids might not be returned. But that's just a part of the process.

Unfortunately, as with many other "business decisions", "numbers" can sometimes tend to be more important than "people issues" in the modern scheme of things. This is one of my concerns with respect to the 50th Anniversary BCA meet location, if in the normal bid process for that particular meet, it might end up being somewhere other than Flint or in CA. In 2022, many of us could well NOT be able to attend a 50th Anniversary BCA National Meet, on the 50th Anniversary of the first BCA National Meet in Flint . . . How old are you? Do the math. Certainly there will be different people in charge, all things considered and respected, in the BCA, so things could be different still.

Perhaps . . . "The Committee" can put together AND post a list of their target cities which will be requested to submit competitive bids for BCA National Meets of the future. "Sticky" that on the General Forum, too, please. A list of cities for each particular year. Let the membership SEE what's being considered. THEN we'll know and can possibly provide more than "dream options" input for BCA National Meet locations past 2013. The particular meet calendar dates might need to be left open at this time, but the cities and years would be more significant to us, I suspect. There would also need to be a disclaimer that "Until the contracts are signed, nothing's finallized for each particular year. Therefore, do not make any plans until the bid contracts have been approved and signed by BCA operatives".

As for banquet locations and costs, I concur that meal cost doesn't always equate to a fine dining experience, even at regular restaurants, regardless of how much they might be hyped with noted chefs and such. Of course, this would be a part of the bid process, too. Just as the costs of where the banquet is held, who is allowed to cater it, the cost of security guards for the open cash bar, rental of sound systems, etc. The cost of Mr. Earl's "Dixie-Buick Band" would be another thing to consider. LOTS of little things to sift through, but many of which might be done via Internet searches of potential cities' CVB websites.

I do concur that having "A Committee" do the national meets can be a good thing in some respects, as some possible continuity and standardization can possibly take place. One group of eyes looking at contracts from year to year . . . and asking questions like "Why is _____ more expensive here than in _____ for equivalent things?"

Also, I suspect "The Committee" will have ready access to what BCA National Meets at various locations have cost in the past, plus numbers of registered vehicles and how many awards were presented. These "numbers" can be important in effective meet planning . . . or rather speculating about future BCA meets.

I'm not against "The Committee" planning the meets so long as no BCA Chapters want to jump up and offer to host one, just let us see a list of potential venues combined with the targeted years these venues will be the location of the meet. Just please keep US in the loop about what "THE COMMITTEE" is doing and looking at doing for future BCA National Meet locations.

Respectfully,

Willis Bell 20811

Guest ExpertTransport
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Roberta mentioning a 50th Anniversary BCA meet to the Flint operatives! Sure, they might be on "the list", but this might also give them a little advance notice that a bid might be forthcoming at some time in the future . . . UNLESS "The Committee" might decide differently and not offer a chance for the Flint operatives to submit a bid as "The Committee" might have other ideas. From some of the earlier comments from BCA operatives, there seems to be a huge possibility that much discontent can possibly brew over the venue and possible format of the BCA 50th Anniversary National Meet. To me, this is something we DO NOT need--period!

Another situation for a "dream meet" would be in Fort Worth, TX. Adjoining the recently-remodeled Tarrant County Convention Center is a similarly-recent convention center hotel attached to it. The annual new car shows are held there. It could be completely indoors AND air conditioned, with the host hotel right next door. But not for $100.00/night lodging or any other less expensive lodging options nearby, considering it's all downtown. I also suspect that as the price of renting the exhibition hall, in addition to other meet overhead expenses, the basic cost for attending would be out of the price range of many BCA members, with all due respect. Sure, there are some options out there that some CVBs might "bite" for a BCA National Meet bid, but when they find out that our members' pockets aren't as deep as some corporate entity, some of those potential bids might not be returned. But that's just a part of the process.

Unfortunately, as with many other "business decisions", "numbers" can sometimes tend to be more important than "people issues" in the modern scheme of things. This is one of my concerns with respect to the 50th Anniversary BCA meet location, if in the normal bid process for that particular meet, it might end up being somewhere other than Flint or in CA. In 2022, many of us could well NOT be able to attend a 50th Anniversary BCA National Meet, on the 50th Anniversary of the first BCA National Meet in Flint . . . How old are you? Do the math. Certainly there will be different people in charge, all things considered and respected, in the BCA, so things could be different still.

Perhaps . . . "The Committee" can put together AND post a list of their target cities which will be requested to submit competitive bids for BCA National Meets of the future. "Sticky" that on the General Forum, too, please. A list of cities for each particular year. Let the membership SEE what's being considered. THEN we'll know and can possibly provide more than "dream options" input for BCA National Meet locations past 2013. The particular meet calendar dates might need to be left open at this time, but the cities and years would be more significant to us, I suspect. There would also need to be a disclaimer that "Until the contracts are signed, nothing's finallized for each particular year. Therefore, do not make any plans until the bid contracts have been approved and signed by BCA operatives".

Also, I suspect "The Committee" will have ready access to what BCA National Meets at various locations have cost in the past, plus numbers of registered vehicles and how many awards were presented. These "numbers" can be important in effective meet planning . . . or rather speculating about future BCA meets.

I'm not against "The Committee" planning the meets so long as no BCA Chapters want to jump up and offer to host one, just let us see a list of potential venues combined with the targeted years these venues will be the location of the meet. Just please keep US in the loop about what "THE COMMITTEE" is doing and looking at doing for future BCA National Meet locations.

Respectfully,

Willis Bell 20811

Willis,

"The Committee" is very secretive and some of your comments will draw his ire. You better be careful. They run the show now. Chapters and Regions had some 46 years or such to do it and that formula failed.

The modern BCA BOD is not about openness, more information and transparency. Otherwise, the membership would have been let in on the 2013 decisioning BEFORE the announcement.

The BOD has apparently entrusted the Books with the task of research. Chapters are not allowed to enter the discussion or else they might be in violation of the BCA new rules.

So be careful how you word "your opinion".

ET, thanks for your comments. I've seen who the "Last 10 Visitors" to your profile have been. An interesting list!!!

When the National Meet Coordinator was being discussed in earlier times, there were still chapters who were bidding on BCA National Meets. As time has progressed, the number has decreased greatly. Although chapters bid on and ran the meet, the BCA was always in the shadows of things, as "Specifier of Meet Requirements" and in more recent times, "financial partner" of sorts. In any event, the BOD has to approve the chapters' bids.

Other clubs, Walter P. Chrysler for example, have designated individuals who decide where their national meets will be and when. Plus all of the tours and other activities. Not much different than what our BCA operatives will be doing. In their case, it's a necesssity to do it that way. In OUR case, it has become a necessity to do it that way. Usually, though, there is usually a WPC chapter nearby to help staff the event. As I understand it, the son of a former WPC President wanted to host a meet in CA. He pretty much made all of the arrangements himself, for the club, with their empowerment to do so. That was the Burbank, CA meet with a tour of Leno's Garage. Their meets are smaller than the BCA meets generally are, though.

Over the past decade or so, there has been a greater (seeming) orientation for the BCA to be more involved in the national meets. One observed issue has always been that the next chapter in line did not really desire to accept help or mentoring from the prior chapter in how some things can be done OR should not be done. Yet, there is a list on this website of BCA members who have been involved in planning and executing successful BCA National Meets, of people who can serve as "mentors" rather than "directors" to help with the learning curve of other chapters and their BCA National Meets.

One of the first things was Roy Faries being in charge of the meet's computerization of registration documents. This was a HUGE step forward! Now, registration funds are processed via the BCA National Office rather than the individual chapters. This CAN be progress, too, but some might not agree, with all due respect. Each chapter has had to submit reports of their meet expenses, too, for many years. Therefore, what each meet cost should be "on file" somewhere, for archival information. Consolidating some of the BCA National Meet functions in the BCA National Office can be good on many fronts, just as "Internet Travelling" can be expeditious, too. Armed with prior meet pricing and costs, the National Meet Coordinator, or "THE COMMITTEE", should have a better negotiations position, it would seem, to help keep various meet costs more near the "affordable range" of things.

But just like any other business entity where CUSTOMERS are relied upon to patronize the business to help ensure the financial viability of the entity, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS HIGHLY IMPORTANT . . . FOR CUSTOMER ENTHUSIASM AND RETENTION. With respect to the noted 50th Anniversary Year BCA National Meet location, that can be a significant issue. Considering all of the concern over decreasing BCA Membership Numbers, after the 100th Anniversary of Buick National Meet in Flint, orchestrating another drop due to the location of the 50th Anniversary Year meet location would only seem to serve to further aggravate possible future member losses.

Whomever might be on "THE COMMITTEE", I wish y'all well in your ventures. I hope your learning curve is accelerated from prior levels, too. Please be aware of who your customers are and always treat them as cherished partners in your business entity as THEY are helping pay your bills and fund your activities.

Respectfully,

Willis Bell 20811

The Committee is Mike Book, Chair, Nancy Book, Paul Meyer, Bill Stoneberg, Alan Oldfield, Rick Young, Brian DePouli and Jeff Brashares

Chapters are still able to offer their proposals, and/or they will be requested to volunteer if the event is held in their area, and will receive part of the proceeds for their volunteering to help.

Brian, new President of the BCA, says this information will be presented in the Bugle to the membership soon.

And read Procedure No. 26 of the BCA SOP, page 268 in the 2008 Roster!

Then think about this:

South Bend, Indiana, as the site for 2013 BCA National. The dates will be July 17 - 20, 2013

The Great Lakes Regional would have been August 14-17, 2013 in Flint, around 200 miles from the National location

Hence, I say no I don't think so!!!!!!!! Even though others think otherwise????????

One clarification from Willis's post. The Nationals registration fees ARE NOT processed by the National Office. The BCA office NEVER touches the registration fees for the Nationals. I merely collect the registrations and their associated fes, enter it all into a computer, make sure it balances (the registrant pays the correct amount for the events they signed up for), then send the fees directly to the hosting chapter's treasurer. We keep detailed records of all the money collected and sent to the host chapter, minus expenses like mail box rental, postage for confirmation letters, supplies, etc. Their treasurer then disperses these funds for meet expenses.

Thanks Roy.

As for openness. Here is what has been discussed by the committee

2013- South Bend, IN, Springfield, IL and Ft. Wayne IN CVB's were bid. These locations were chosen as most of our members are in the Great lakes and Heartland Regions. Discussion with local chapters was not done to come to these choice because of the pressure to have this prepared for the typical 2 year ahead announcement. All sites were visited by a committee members. Ft Wayne was eliminated due to lack feasible hotel and showfield combo. South Bend CVB simply more incentives at us to come there. A recommendation was made to the BOD and the BOD voted to go to South Bend in 2013. We will be contacting key chapter folks soon to develop the meet more.

The committee is discussing 2014 currently Sacramento and Portland, OR are the CVB's bidding as we have not been out west since 2007 and we have strong chapters and members in these areas we can count on to supply volunteers. Two hotels have been visited one remains to be visited. With respect to the CVB's bidding there is no decision or front runner. Once the final hotel is reviewed the committee will make a recommendation to the BOD and the BOD will vote.

Specific 2015 location have not been discussed other than it will be some where in the Central US. We are focused on 2014.

Specific 2016 locations have not been discussed . We are handling 2014 than 2015 first.

All of this was publicly stated in the General Membership Meeting and the BOD Meeting at Danvers which are both public and both poorly attended. All of this will be placed in the Meeting minutes found on the BCA website for all, including non members, to see. We invite all internet forum members, to attend these meeting in the future to see how open we are with our process.

Finally, Does the BOD handle some things in private, YES. Reason: Efficiency and Cost. A traveling BOD meeting costs the club $6000 in expenses approximately to get all the needed people there. A phone conference call cost $500 dollars, email is free. Our Club Secretary, Kris, Syrdal, does an amazing job keeping track of all this discussion and it is all documented should any one have a question.The membership of the BCA has elected the BOD to do the business of the club efficiently as possible with the best interests of the club in mind. If the membership is not happy with the BOD or a specific individual they do not get reelected as new members step up to serve and the membership feels they are more competent.

Any member is welcome to call or email me with their concerns and comments on any topic, my info is in the Bugle and on the BCA website. Please respect that I have a family with small children phone calls wake them up, so I would prefer email communication. Please include your name BCA number and return contact info in any messages. Thanks

Guest ExpertTransport

Congratulations on the appointment as the new President.

As with any organization there are political undercurrents that 99.9% of the membership does not know about.

One of the big problems I had over the past 2 years or so were the softball messages from the President's column in the Bugle. That should indicate right there I am a member and have been for a long time. Just because I am new to the forum does not mean I am not a long time member with some club history.

IF 99.9% of the membership is not active on the forum then the 2 biggest places to get important information are the Bugle and chapter get togethers.

So it is imperative that the Bugle be used to inform the membership since 8,000 plus members do not even get on this forum.

In the past "few" years the President's message has been pleasant but not informative and now here we are 99.9% of the membership won't know about these latest issues.

Telling us to "just go drive our Buicks" is nice and all, but real information is what is needed in the Bugle.

I am going to get in trouble for this, but the Books are over-extended and heaping all these additional duties on them is not the answer. 1st of all, the Books are business people 1st. They are beholden to themselves. They run numerous clubs as a business.

Now they are probably BCA members, well not probably I am sure they are, but that's a pittance compared to the total salary they draw from all organizations.

They want to please the BOD 1st and foremost because they authorize their salaries. The membership is next in line. Secondary. Willis is correct-this process needed vetted and assigned out to a BCA member. And - that could have been done in transparency through the Bugle. This is a powerful position and a very important one. Therefore, to hand pick the Books is wrong. I am sure an additional stipend is included to take on these duties. Again, the Books are business people first and BCA members by default.

Are there not enough passionate members out of 8,500 + to take on a 1-2 year commitment as National Meet Coordinator? Wow.

Guest ExpertTransport
The Committee is Mike Book, Chair, Nancy Book, Paul Meyer, Bill Stoneberg, Alan Oldfield, Rick Young, Brian DePouli and Jeff Brashares

This represents the power elite of the BCA. Very insular. Mike, Nancy and Jeff are close friends and Jeff, to my knolwedge, although a past President, is not a BOD member now?

Jeff was instrumental in getting the Books their successful bid.

Alan Oldfield is the Head Judge but gets on the foum here about once a year.

The others are current BOD's and so, how about Jerry, who was touted as having "great ideas" and one who would bring a lot of knowledge into his BOD role. Crickets.

The BoD on this committee are the principle ones making all decisions in the BCA.

I look forward to the new National Meet Committee supporting the National going forward. I have only been coming to National meets since 2007, but I have seen and heard enough to know that a central committee taking care of the large items and eliminating the economic hardships on the local chapter can only be a good thing.

Going forward, feedback on issues/concerns at the Nationals will actually have a sounding board that matters instead of chapters not communicating from year to year and repeating the same mistakes.

This is a win/win, especially with the CVBs stepping up to the plate and issuing incentives to the club to attend.

It will be interesting to watch what happens over the next 5 years evolution of the Nationals to see how well the process works.

Keep in mind that the BCA currently has roughly 8000 members with fewer than 10% attending a national meet in any given year. (Maybe a few more in Flint)

Brian, you and the committee (not to mention the BOD) have my support! Let me know if there is any way I can help!

On a slightly related issue, there is something missing at the meets. We had at least 30 Buicks cruise through the hotel parking lot during the show. Were these BCA members? Does anyone know? Were they approached about joining? Was there a tent set up outside on the showfield to sign up new members? I think this would be an opportunity worth trying. Granted, the showfield and hotel this year were rather secluded, but we still had some public attending the event that should be informed about the benefits of joining the BCA.

I realize for insurance reasons we cannot charge admission to an event, but are we using local print/radio/TV to promote the car show and generate interest in new members?

I think these are the types of ideas that can be compiled very efficiently by a National Meet Committee and followed through with every year to determine efficacy.

I do agree that there does seem to be a power elite on the Committee, but those are people with years and years (and years!) of national meet experience, which is exactly what is needed to start with. I would like to know what opportunities to serve on the committee will appear in the future and how closely it will continue to align with the existing voting BOD members.

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)

Guest ExpertTransport
If the membership is not happy with the BOD or a specific individual they do not get reelected as new members step up to serve and the membership feels they are more competent.

Problem here is membership apathy. I recall in the last election there were something like 4 candidates for four positions so..... hard to vote someone out.

Expert Transport I am going to cool off before I respond as I would not represent the BCA well in responding quickly. Perhaps while I cool off you would be considerate enough to provide your name to the forum, since you are giving your opinions on other people by their name.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

I look forward to the new National Meet Committee supporting the National going forward. I have only been coming to National meets since 2007, but I have seen and heard enough to know that a central committee taking care of the large items and eliminating the economic hardships on the local chapter can only be a good thing.

Going forward, feedback on issues/concerns at the Nationals will actually have a sounding board that matters instead of chapters not communicating from year to year and repeating the same mistakes.

This is a win/win, especially with the CVBs stepping up to the plate and issuing incentives to the club to attend.

It will be interesting to watch what happens over the next 5 years evolution of the Nationals to see how well the process works.

Keep in mind that the BCA currently has roughly 8000 members with fewer than 10% attending a national meet in any given year. (Maybe a few more in Flint)

Brian, you and the committee (not to mention the BOD) have my support! Let me know if there is any way I can help!

On a slightly related issue, there is something missing at the meets. We had at least 30 Buicks cruise through the hotel parking lot during the show. Were these BCA members? Does anyone know? Were they approached about joining? Was there a tent set up outside on the showfield to sign up new members? I think this would be an opportunity worth trying. Granted, the showfield and hotel this year were rather secluded, but we still had some public attending the event that should be informed about the benefits of joining the BCA.

I realize for insurance reasons we cannot charge admission to an event, but are we using local print/radio/TV to promote the car show and generate interest in new members?

I think these are the types of ideas that can be compiled very efficiently by a National Meet Committee and followed through with every year to determine efficacy.

I do agree that there does seem to be a power elite on the Committee, but those are people with years and years (and years!) of national meet experience, which is exactly what is needed to start with. I would like to know what opportunities to serve on the committee will appear in the future and how closely it will continue to align with the existing voting BOD members.

Thank you Brian. In regards to the Buicks rolling through the parking lot, it is my understanding that there was a miscommunication between the hotel and the host chapter about the space needed for the event. Due to this day of show registration was not available. For the 2012 National Meet the Carolina Chapter (CCBCA) has put this on their lesson learned sheet as they want every possible car on the showfield. The CCBCA are working to setup up a late registration display only showfield that will allow non members who pay the event registration premium for non-members and the car display fee to park on the showfield. The CCBCA also have a frequently asked questions section to our website which will help educate the general public about the event and what to expect. The BCA wants everyone to have an enjoyable time. This specific item is an example of how the National Meet Committee will work to improve BCA events making them more enjoyable for everyone.

Let's see, we have Mike and Nancy Book who help negotiate hotel contracts for 3different clubs, Jeff who runs a very successful show every year, Brian who is chair of next years meet,Rick and myself who put on Ames when no other chapter or group would and Alan our chief judge. Sounds to me like people who have the skills and knowledge to put on ameetp and make it s you all have fun.

That reallyis our goal here, put on a fun show that everyone wants pot come to that won't cost you an armand leg. We don't meet in secret or make decisions in secret.come to the BOD meeting or the General Membership meeting and you would have heard all about it.

Give us a chance as the way ito was done earlier was not going to work anymore. Willis, is your chapter willing to run another meet ?

Let's see, we have Mike and Nancy Book who help negotiate hotel contracts for 3different clubs, Jeff who runs a very successful show every year, Brian who is chair of next years meet,Rick and myself who put on Ames when no other chapter or group would and Alan our chief judge. Sounds to me like people who have the skills and knowledge to put on ameetp and make it s you all have fun.

That reallyis our goal here, put on a fun show that everyone wants pot come to that won't cost you an armand leg. We don't meet in secret or make decisions in secret.come to the BOD meeting or the General Membership meeting and you would have heard all about it.

Give us a chance as the way ito was done earlier was not going to work anymore. Willis, is your chapter willing to run another meet ?

(Pretty good typing on and ipad)

All of the individuals of "The Committee" are very capable and have our best interest in mind. All have DAY JOBS and are not compensated for the time they donate to OUR club.

"The Committee" is not some secretive X-files or KGB group---->spooky~~

Bill is on vacation now...in Maine...by the water and does not need this *&^%^$# now.

I'm on vacation too and should be updating the Texas Road Warriors thread. So jump in and help if you have something constructive to offer.

Willie

I have not read allthe of this thread, but my take oin the crusers at the meet was that many are likely BCA members who like to hang on the fringe. That is fine too if they do not want to participate. I toosaw a few modified cars crusing buy and also talked to some local Buick owners that are not BCA members. Hopefully, they have seen what they are missing. However, I also suspect, they realize they will not have another opportunity for a National Meet in the area for likely 8-10 years, they will not likely jointhe BCA. Based on the BCA membership of about 8000, I have not doubt that there are likely 15,000 antique or modified Buicks in this country (I know one in CT that is an 09 (I believe) bucket 4 door, with a nailhead. What a modified, but apparently no interest in the BCA. Will we ever get the owner as a member - I doubt it.

Similar, there are a hand full to 10 GN in CT, but I think only one made the show field in Danvers.

John

Roy, thanks for the clarification on the funds handling for the national meets. I knew there were transfers, but it appears I was incorrect in believing they went through the BCA Office in their travels to the host chapter. My apologies for that incorrectness.

Brian, thanks for your information on potential future meet locations! Thanks, also, for including "The Committee" information. I trust they will make credible decisions on venues and such. Many times there are places that appear to be good places on the surface, until you start investigating banquet space and such, then the list shortens.

Also, with their status as "The Committee", they'll be in more of a position for better bargaining of various aspects of the meet itself. I believe they'll all work well with each other, too.

I look forward to seeing future informaton in THE BUGLE on the subject of future BCA National Meet locations as they are confirmed. It appears that some of us might be ahead of the curve on future meet location information and replies, which are to come in the near future.

Might it be possible for a notification to be put in this forum when the BOD minutes (and also of other BOD member group communications/discussions which might meet the definition of "meeting") are posted to the appropriate section of the BCA website? Plus where that location might be? If desired, access could be password protected.

Thanks, again, Brian and Roy for your information and clarifications!!

Willis Bell 20811

(Looks like lots of responses as I was typing my comments! Hope Brian's "oil pressure" returns to normal, too!)

Bill, in response to your inquiry . . . considering that we've done two meets in Plano . . . of which YOU were a great contributor the last time!! . . .I don't feel that we could "sell" another meet in the DFW area anytime soon. Houston would be too far south (humid, too) to expect a very-well attended event. San Antonio might work, though, as a different TX location! Possibly, Austin?

A side issue for the DFW area is that many of the main freeways in Dallas, Grapevine, Mid-Cities, and Fort Worth have new construction projects which can and are snarling the growing traffic of the region. Not especially trailer-friendly or a place I'd want to be in an older vehicle in the middle of the day.

I feel that the Fort Worth Convention Center would be a great place to do a big car show. Fully air-conditioned so "no excuses" to not come down in the summer. But I also highly suspect that with room rates what they are and facilities rental costs being what I suspect they might be, the end result would be that it would be too expensive for even basic meet registration. Going into the Cultural District where the annual rodeo is held, there is an exhibition hall with covered parking underneath, but the interior space would be capped at about 300 cars, which is not enough show field space. And we found out in our first investigations in the middle 1990s, not enough banquet space at the fancy downtown hotels, back then and probably not now. I don't know about the new convention center hotel, though.

I do believe that our chapter is on record for offering to help another TX chapter put together their bid, though. I just don't feel we would have enough "draw" to Dallas for a third show, with all due respect.

I concur that "The Committee" has some very knowledgeable people, as to doing car shows, on it. Always be sure to keep that "We're not going to do that!" or "We're going to do that differently" list accessible and updated . . . which can be a very necessary meet planning tool!

In prior times, "continuous improvement" was a key orientation for successful business entities. It CAN still work today as in prior times . . . even be MORE necessary now than in the past. I feel sure that "Our Committee" will use that orientation well.

Enjoy!

Willis Bell 20811

Expert Transport,

I see from your activity that you have been on the forum since I posted my request for your name, but still have not provided your name to the forum. The people on this forum are intelligent and will ignore those who ask for open discuss, but are not open themselves. They will view this person as someone who just desires to stir stuff up. The choice is yours on how serious you wish to be viewed.

As for the Books the FACTS are the Books are BCA members #9202 and were BCA members for a long time before being awarded the BCA office position in a competitive bid. The The rest of the committee have managed national meets, held BOD positions, have been officers of the club, are past Presidents and work countless hours promoting the BCA as volunteers. I myself have been to 24 BCA National meets. Not a single committee member is receiving ANY compensation for their efforts towards this committee, not even the Books.

You say the Books are not passionate about this club, well then you must not be passionate about the BCA because if you were you'd know there are few people more passionate about the BCA than the Books.

If you want to provide you opinion on the NMC and the BCA fine, but know that I won't stand for personal attacks. You want personal attacks you direct them at me alone. As President I'll bear the brunt of the attacks, but you better bring more than I'm not passionate about the BCA or that I don't have the best interests of the BCA at hand.

Also to all forum members slanderous remarks about individuals can result in a permanent ban from this forum, consider this a warning. Direct your criticism at the club or me as its president, leave individuals out of it.

Roberta please lock this thread and remove the sticky.

Edited by 38Buick 80C
spelling (see edit history)