1982 Riviera Select Sixty

Barney Eaton

I just did a search to see if this was posted, but could not find anything.

Last year at Ames, there was a 1982 Riviera convertible with Select Sixty markings. The owner has documentation and pointed out the differences between this car and the normal 1982 Riviera convertibles.

The owner said that the first (60?) 1982 Riviera convertibles built were for the Select Sixty dealers. He also said he was following an Ebay auction for another one located in Arizona.

The minor differences were the outside mirrors, I can't remember is stock is chrome or painted but these were the opposite from stock, also the grill background was painted white. There were Select Sixty emblems on each front fender below the Riviera script. At the time I ask Paul Syrdal if he was aware of these.

Does anyone else know anything about these.

post-30596-143138551943_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138551945_thumb.jpg

In that general time frame, there was a Buick Dealer in Garland,TX named "Ken Pruitt Buick". An established and long-time dealer, at that time. Might be interesting to know if this was "his" car, or if there was another "Pruitt" in the mix?

NTX5467

At the time Buick had designated the top 60 Buick dealers as "Select 60" dealers. They made a number of special run vehicles for those dealers and only made 60 +- of those vehicles. Each vehicled was invoiced and sent to one of those dealers.

Besides the Riverias there was also a Reatta. If my memory is correct, the Reattas were a pearl white convertible with red interior.

I do not remember of the other cars built specially for those dealers.

I have ask this before, and with all the knowledge out there here it is again........

Does anyone know when the "Select Sixty Dealer" program started and ended?

What was the criteria?

Is there a list for each year available anywhere?

I have heard many stories about the dealers getting cars, Ed Mertz told me about the Reattas and I suspect it was similar for other models like the Riviera.

He said that in 1988, the 1987 SS60 dealers had the car added to their allottment, since the Reatta was on allottment that year. I also have documentation that shows only 55 were made for the dealers, apparantly some dealers did not want one.

In 1990, the 1989 SS60 dealers got a special convertible, again there is some pretty good documentation that some dealers did not want theirs and they apparantly had some plan to dispose of the extras.... there were 65 made in 1990.

I have heard that the SS60 dealers were awarded other Buicks in different years, apparantly they were given popular models that were on allottment. Also, they were not given the cars, they paid for them.

• 1 month later...
Guest tzwickel

I have a Riviera Select 60.

The original title was to a Buick dealership. I am the 2nd owner. This car came with some fancy brass plaques, manuals and books. It has a 4.1 liter which seems unique. I am most proud of the cast wheels...looks great with white letter Eagle tires. Kent Hrbek rode in this parade car after the Twins won the 1987 World Series.

Just home from Danvers and there was another of these Riviera there. It was still in the hands of the original owner. The Danvers car has the "turbine" cast wheels and the Ames car either had wire caps or the chrome wheels.......will need to find my pictures.

• 8 months later...
Guest xlr8slh

I know a lady, who has one for sale. She drives it, so it still runs. If you are interested, send me info and I will have her contact you. THANKS!

• 3 years later...
Guest glassmb

I own an original Buick Riviera Select Sixty. It was owned by dealers by the name of Charlie and Sissy Orsinger. These cars are rare. According to the Buick Registry, I own one of five original cars drivable.

Edited by glassmb (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

While there is no question that the SS Riv's are rare, using the "Buick Registry" which I assume is the BCA Roster is just a partial indication of numbers.  More people own collector Buicks than belong to the BCA without question.  Special Riv convertibles may have had more tucked away than one might think.