1948 Dodge Business Coupe help

Hello,

I am getting ready to purchase my first Dodge - I'm told it's a 1946 but according to the serial number it's a '48. I found the tags on the cowl but can only make out numbers that are engraved - 11972TPC - does anyone know where I can go to find out what these numbers mean? The tags were worn and I can't tell what the numbers represent.

Also, any leads you can give me on getting exterior trim pieces would be appreciated.

I've been working on this guy for over 2 years trying to get this car and he's finally given in. What attracted me to the car was the nice rear-end :)

Guest MidTNDawg

What attracted me to the car was the nice rear-end

Cannot believe no one has commented on this, i,e, Yeah, nice rear ends draw a lot of attention.

Doug

BE SURE you have the correct title for that vehicle at the time of the sale! If, for some reason, there IS no title, get a WITNESSED or NOTARIZED "Bill of Sale" hand written by the current owner with the date of the sale, ALL ID numbers from the car ("Serial Number", "Engine Number", & "Body Number" that you mentioned) and his SIGNATURE!

I have a friend that had a terrible mess with titling & registering his '36 Dodge in Ohio. It took almost a year to complete which included his vehicle in impound for almost nine months!

Paperwork for the transfers are handled by the Counties, not the State, in OH! But the State Patrol IS involved in the deal if the car needs an "inspection" if ordered by the Court of Common Pleas. This is where it gets sticky.

Just be SURE you have the title with numbers matching the car OR a complete "Bill-of-Sale" IN HAND when you leave with your new purchase. If you don't, you may never really "own" your car and may never be able to drive it - according the the State Patrol - in some cases!

Also, if you go in for the inspection, be sure they understand that it is NOT a "salvage" car no matter how bad it looks! (Unless it truly is!) The rules are very tough for "Salvage Vehicles" in OH and can be problematic.

I don't want to scare you, just help you make sure your dealings are as smooth as possible for getting the vehicle titled and registered in your name.

Good luck with your purchase and have fun with the restoration! ;)

Thanks for the help everyone! I picked up the car last Saturday. It was hard to start but eventually got it on the dolly for the 15 minute ride home. We'll have the brakes and steering done this weekend. Reading our Motor's Auto Repair Manual it specifies that this car is positive ground. It wasn't hooked up that way - so what damage was done?

Guest MidTNDawg

J-Lo is beautiful. As for me, I would love to find a 42-48 club coupe. For now, my first love, and would still be even if I found a coupe, is my DA

All I want to know is how many people could you sneak into the theatre in that trunk?

Three comfortably. There is a famous promo shot with the three Andrews sisters (singers) sitting in the trunk of a similar MoPar.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I have been trying to find one of these for a couple of years now. I am kicking myself in the ass for not being able to swing the one that I was looking at in N, Seattle. Then another up there just yesterday. I looked at a Desoto model in Eugene yesterday too, but it was to far gone.

If anyone out there has a fair one that is priced reasonable I would be a potential buyer.

I saw Reg's car a year or so ago and it IS beutiful with some junk for a trunk.

I just love those lines.

• Like 1

Hey guys - sorry for the late response - seems the thread has taken on a life of its' own! LOL!

I will post some pics later - do not have any yet. It's been on the lift since we brought it home for some brake work and clean up. It's a business coupe - very similar to the pics shown in this thread. And I have to say, I loved the "does this white paint make my butt look big" comment - too funny!

I have been trying to find one of these for a couple of years now. I am kicking myself in the ass for not being able to swing the one that I was looking at in N, Seattle. Then another up there just yesterday. I looked at a Desoto model in Eugene yesterday too, but it was to far gone.

If anyone out there has a fair one that is priced reasonable I would be a potential buyer.

I saw Reg's car a year or so ago and it IS beutiful with some junk for a trunk.

I just love those lines.

Jack - Not a Dodge, but (or should it be butt) :)

1948 Plymouth 1 seat coupe

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Not quite the model that I want. I did have the later body style when I was in high school. A 50 Plymouth CP. I liked that car. But I want a 46-48, prefer Chrysler, but a Desoto would do.

Any other leads would be appreciated.

Thanks, JACK

Only if the one I find has already been cut up. (which most of em are)

I go both ways.

I am now looking at one in the Fresno area, its been apart for quite some time and has had some custom body mods. Anybody in that area that would be willing to take a look at it for me before I drive down there?

• 4 months later...