How do I make leather seats shiny again?

Ronnie

It seems there are several different types of leather. Below is a list I have found that might apply to our seats. There are different methods for restoring the shine depending on the type of leather. Does anyone know what leather type was used in our Reattas?

The leather in my car is in pretty good condition, it is clean, and the color is good but it doesn't shine like it should. I have tried a number of products that will give it a gloss when first applied but it doesn't last very long. Anyone know how to make dull leather shine again like it did when new?

Top Grain Leather?

Pigmented Leather?

Non-Pigmented Leather?

Pure Aniline Leather?

Protected Aniline Leather?

Semi-Aniline Leather?

Guest Mc_Reatta

At least we know it isn't soft Corinthian leather since Ricardo Montalban hogged it all for Chrysler. :rolleyes:

Ronnie, I have had excellent results using "Leatherique". It brought the saddle trim seats in my reatta up real good. In order to maintain it, I use Zaino leather cleaner and their conditioner about every three months. The Zaino leaves a real nice leather smell besides.

At least we know it isn't soft Corinthian leather since Ricardo Montalban hogged it all for Chrysler. :rolleyes:

Funny stuff. Corinthian leather was a made up marketing gimmick. Good call call Chrysler, 40 years later and we still remember it.

Back to the topic...

I use Lexol brand. It holds up very well.

Guest Richard D

I have slate gray and use Leather in a bottle from Zaino, does a good job, however for a deep clean I recommend Lexol then Leather in bottle. My 2 cents

Richard

Plus it does smell like new leather, for awhile.

I've tried most everything (though not Zaino). My absolute favorite is Leather Rejuvenator by Griot's Garage. Amazing stuff and the leather smell it imparts lasts and lasts. Massage in with your hands and leave the car out in the sun, re-massaging in periodically as the leather drinks it up, particularly in the stressed areas.

Thanks guys for the tips on the best products to use. Is there any thing extra I can do to that will help restore the shine to the seating area of the seats... like buffing with a certain kind of cloth or something after the products are applied?

Ronnie, After using the Leatheriques pristine clean and rejuvenator oil you will have a nice glossy finish to the leather. I have found the best results when you use it on a hot humid day. The reatta is like a greenhouse, close all the windows and let the rejuvenator oil pull all the crud out of the leather, I let mine sit this way for about six hours. When you wipe off the oil use a clean cloth and you will be amazed what is drawn out. For follow up maintenance I like the Zaino leather in a bottle. In order to get the leather smell to last longer, I spray a rag with the Zaino and let it stay on the seat with the windows closed. Good luck

Guest Kitskaboodle

Hmmmmm, interesting thread.

I have been using some Maguire's leather conditioner and am not impressed.

It may be conditioning the leather but it sure doesnt give it any shine whatsoever. :(

Anyone ever try Mink Oil? I have used it since I was a kid but only on baseball gloves, which it works GREAT on.

Kit

Following up on this post... yesterday I used Lexol, (the best of the items recommended that I could get locally), to try to get the leather seats back in shape. I applied it liberally and left the car sitting in the sun for about 5 hours. From time to time I wont back and rubbed on more if it started to look like it was drying. Then I took clean rags and wiped off the excess. Surprisingly there was not much dirt that came off the leather. Now the leather is very soft but it still doesn't have much shine compared to the backs of the seats. I tried a light buffing with an old t-shirt but that didn't' do much.

Next I'm going to take Barney's advice and try some clear shoe polish if I can find it. That will have to wait until one day next week. Today I'm hitting the road to do a little driving through these beautiful East Tennessee mountains. :)

I stumbled on the shine for the seats I was looking for but I don't know if I should use it. I use ICE clear liquid polish to make the plastic parts on my interior shine. I accidentally got some on the side bolster of the seat and WOW!, there was the shine I've been looking for. It doesn't have a greasy look. Just the nice shiny luster similar but not exactly like the back side of the seats. I'm sure it's the silicone in the polish that gives the shine. I just wonder if it will have an adverse effect on leather? I have only applied it to a small spot so far but I'm really impressed with the result. What do you guys think about using the ICE on seats?

• 5 weeks later...

I had been toying with the idea of dressing up my seats. They were a bit sun dryed and lacking moisture. I actually didn't think that anything would restore them. But I have Meguires Gold Class cleaner/conditioner in my car stuff and thought I would give it a try. I did as you guys have advised; rub it in liberally and allow to sit in the sun for about 5 hours, add more as needed.

I have to say that I am impressed. The seats are far more supple then they were and the "look" is better. They are shinier then they were [not as shiny as the backof the seats, like Ronnies].

I am going to use the rest of this bottle and look for what may be available locally, and keep working at it.

Thanks for the tips...

Guest Richard D

A friend swears that DYO LEATHER BALM is the absolute best and he is a clean car fanatic. Said it made his 2007 DTS seats as soft as new and within 24 hours the wrinkles were gone. Plus it is cheap at $5.00 a bottle. I have not tried it yet but will post when I do.

Richard

ps. He has used at least half a dozen conditioners.

Sometimes the ol leather is just shot. I did the Leatherique, putting the seats in the black trash bags on a hot summer day to no effect. Later had a small tear in a seat and the Dr Vinyl guy said he would first have to soften the seat since it was too dry, got it back as stiff as ever.....

I had been toying with the idea of dressing up my seats. They were a bit sun dryed and lacking moisture. I actually didn't think that anything would restore them. But I have Meguires Gold Class cleaner/conditioner in my car stuff and thought I would give it a try. I did as you guys have advised; rub it in liberally and allow to sit in the sun for about 5 hours, add more as needed.

I have to say that I am impressed. The seats are far more supple then they were and the "look" is better. They are shinier then they were [not as shiny as the backof the seats, like Ronnies].

I am going to use the rest of this bottle and look for what may be available locally, and keep working at it.

Thanks for the tips...

Gold Classic works great on the Reatta seats. Most people put it on the seats, rub liberally and wipe away 10 minutes leather. I have done just as you did (twice but left the conditioner on for two hour stretches in indirect sunlight) and you can see and feel the difference.

On the flip side, you can't use this product on perforated seats.

I also used Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner on my '91 red seats.

Although I have a low mileage car (20,500) the seats were starting to look a little "dull" and needed sprucing up. I was VERY happy with the results. :D

Bob