1936 Dodge dash

35cz8

• 6 months later...

Hi, The man you need is Darin Yazejian. He owns Innovative Design Assoc.,Inc. in Bloomfield MI. His number is 248-646-0158. I think this is still current. One error though! The transfers are a dark wood grain with a clear area where the bars run. You will need to have all your parts replated (if not really nice) for them to look good. The plating shows through the decal and gives the chrome bar look. They are really good quality items. I also have new decals to refresh your old gauges if you are interested. They look just like the original only on reflective silver vinyl. Hope this helps. Jim

Edited by jpage
typing errors (see edit history)

Here are some shots showing the original look of the aged dash decals and new decals used in the restoration. Because of discoloration of the old decal material, there looks to be a gold tone to the stripes but there actually isn't.

The new decals when installed just have a wood grain tone that matches the painted dash. This then gives the illusion that there are chrome strips across the dash front. The five metal dash cover parts are removed, replated in chrome and then the decals are carefully applied to the rechromed cover parts.

My dash had pretty fair paint yet on the dash woodgraining so I was able to just sand it with a very fine 800 grit paper and then over sprayed with a clear gloss polyurethane. The decals from Diran matched expertly as you can see from the photo!

Also take note, photo colors can shift depending on lighting conditions during the photos. The original dash's photo was taken in about 1995 and the camera flash was very close to the dash hence the lighter more red look to the woodgrain. Then the restored look photo (slightly soft focused) was taken this year (2011) at the Iola old car show and was published by "Old Cars Weekly" for their online "Car of the Week" for 10-25-11. Those photos look much browner in shade. They are the same though. The color didn't change over time.

post-67404-14313873507_thumb.jpg

post-67404-14313873508_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest sodomojo

to: 1936 D-2

Your photos look just like my newly acquired '36 D-2 dash so I will have to do the same thing.

I understand you have to pull the parts to decal off and polish etc. but did you have to remove the entire dash when you sprayed the gloss on the dash after sanding or were you able to do it in place?

thx for your help. Your car looks super!

sodomojo

I had it all apart in preparation for body paint. Not really that hard to do. Just be sure to take numerous panoramic photos of the back side of the dash AND/or draw sketches to help you remember routing of all wiring, connections and parts. This is a good time to clean up the look of the gauge faces if needed also.

I suppose it "could" be done without removing the dash framework from the car by using some careful and creative masking. But that will be much more involved. The five chromed and decaled pieces will have to come out though and be done separately from the dash frame. All together different processes.

Guest sodomojo

To 1936 D-2

I forgot to ask what brand of clear gloss polyurethane did you use. I guess there have been

many topics on that.

thank you,

sodomojo

It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember it was "Defthane" Gloss Polyurethane in 16oz spray can. Multiple very light coats. Be patient! Read the can for best application instructions.

This was available at "Fleet Farm" stores near me and I am sure other outlets.

• 5 years later...
On 5/15/2011 at 3:31 PM, 35cz8 said:

Does anybody know where one can get the dash transfers for the gold lines for the '36 D2 dash? There used to be a place that sold a kit but I can't find the info anymore. Thanks

E-Mail OTD86866@aol.com

I know this is an old topic but I am also looking to restore my dash and I was wondering if you had any luck with your finding a decal or stencil? 

Thank you,

Marco 

• 2 weeks later...

Darin is the only person that I know that ever made those decals. If you contact him using the number in my above post, if he still has any, he'll fix you up. I also have sets of new gauge decals available if you are interested. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 4:21 PM, jpage said:

Darin is the only person that I know that ever made those decals. If you contact him using the number in my above post, if he still has any, he'll fix you up. I also have sets of new gauge decals available if you are interested. 

Thank you and sorry for the late reply I was on vacation. I will call Darin and I am interested in the gauge decals. Send me a PM or email me directly at 36bomb@gmail.com with the details.

Again, thank you!

Marco