Transmission fluid/filter change...

ptt

1990 Reatta w/165K miles showing. I noticed that the fluid level on the transmission dipstick was foamy. Isnt that a sign that the fluid level is to high? Looks like it is past the full mark on the dipstick. I always service the transmission of my adoptees and orphans regardless of how recent the previous owner says its been performed. Learned that the hard way:( what is everyones recommendation for type/brand of fluid (Dextron IV or V?) Just doing a pan drop and filter /gasket change. I avoid doing do a full flush of transmissions with over 100K miles on them. And does anyone know the proper torque lbs. for the transmission pan bolts? Thanks.

Guest steveskyhawk

When I do a trans service the pan is dropped and the filter is changed. Next a cooling line is opened and the old fluid is let out while it is being replaced by new. (almost 12 qts total) Lastly a transmission cooler is installed. I like Mobile 1 products. Expensive but worth it.

Guest NEMO

When replacing the bolts,put blue locktight on them. If the gasket will hold all the bolts,when it is set on the clean pan,you can then put a dab on each bolt . Or the bolts that are used for this purpose. Then the remaining of the bolts with lock tight. There is a trick of tie sewing thread too hold the gacket in place,install bolts,loosely ,pullout the thread. Check the manual for the proper way to tighten the pan bolts.

I used to use the old sewing thread trick on SBC valve cover gaskets back in the '60s. I learned that and other little tricks at the Weld Brothers (of "mag" racing wheel fame) Race Shop. They started out racing 1/4 mile dirt track cars long before "The World of Outlaws" came to be. I grew up down the hill from the old garage in Kansas City, MO on the East side on 27th street. Old Pappy Taylor was their engine guy. Genius with a SBC! The thread trick at the garage was actually started out as speaker wire or extention cord wire but threads the same. Works great! I have long since acquired those plastic temporary bolts to hold the gasket and pan in place before starting a few real ones in with locktite on them then replacing the plastic ones with locktited real ones. I believe 1990 and 1991 Reattas have factory trans-coolers on them.

Guest steveskyhawk

To my knowledge, Reattas never had a standard or even optional AUX transmission cooler. I'd be willing to bet that the Craft Centre might have been able to accommodate that request however. The 91 to 93 Riviera had a standard AUX cooler which fits nicely on a Reatta. All my cars get one. (In addition to the one that is indeed standard in the radiator)

Edited by steveskyhawk (see edit history)

There is an error in the 1990 "new features" list that you will find with some Reatta literature.

Some writer either wrote "transmission" instead of "steering" in the releases.

All Reatta transmissions have the lines going to the radiator "cooler" but how cool can that be when the radiator is in the 200 degree range. An auxillary transmission cooler was not offered but could have been added using Riviera parts.

There is an error in the 1990 "new features" list that you will find with some Reatta literature.

Some writer either wrote "transmission" instead of "steering" in the releases.

All Reatta transmissions have the lines going to the radiator "cooler" but how cool can that be when the radiator is in the 200 degree range. An auxillary transmission cooler was not offered but could have been added using Riviera parts.

Yeah, thats what threw me on the data page....

• Three new exterior colors available: Maui Blue, Light Driftwood and Gunmetal Gray
    Auxiliary transmission oil cooler added

But the foam on the dipstick is from being overfilled....right? Happened in a '94 3.0L V6 Lebaron GTC I have. I found four 1gal jugs of Mercron III at WallyWorld today. Thats OK for the 1890 4spOD transmission right?:confused: On the jugs it says not to use in any GM transmissions after 2004 or 2006 I believe.:eek:

The transmission experts would like the transmission to run as cool as possible.

If you place the cooler downstream from the radiator cooler, that seems to be the industry accepted location. If you live in an area that get real cold in the winter, like Jim Finn then the transmission might take a little extra time to warm up.

In Texas, I eliminate running them to the radiator and just use a big auxillary cooler.

Where? There is plenty of room in front of the a/c condenser. My transmission shop guy suggest the cooler not be attached to the a/c condenser, but should have at least 2" between them. You can easily get 4-5 inches clearance, you do not want to restrict airflow to the a/c condenser.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jwin

GM has always been meant to run Dexron. (III when it came out, VI now) I would not use Mercon. Dexron VI is the cat's meow. I'm a Valvoline guy myself. 10 ft/lbs on the pan bolts.

Edited by jwin (see edit history)