1995 vs 1996 Suburban 7.4L

I have a chance to buy a super low mileage (32000) 1995 Suburban, 3/4 ton, 7.4 L engine, all the goodies and in great condition.

I thought this was a slam dunk, but now read on Internet that the 1996 was the first year of the Vortec engine, went from 230HP in 1995 to 290HP in 1996. and about a 10% increase in torque.

It so happens the Suburban I'm trying to replace is a 1996 with 7.4 (and 160K miles), and I love the way it tows.

Would I be disappointed in the 1995, with lower HP and slightly lower torque????

Tow enclosed trailer plus heavy Classic cars, 9000 pounds minimum.

thanks ---David

Any chance the seller would let you put your trailer behind it for a trip around the block? You know how your current truck pulls and will surely notice a immediate difference with the other truck should it not be performing as well.

David,

Considering the wear on your current Suburban, you'll probably not notice any decrease, especially with minimal wear on the new/older truck.

The high-mileage one is still welcome here at my place, but if you don't make the swap - I might be interested in the '96.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

The owner is an acquaintance through work, he'd mentioned a few years ago he had a low mileage Suburban, and I called him recently just to see if he'd consider selling. He thought about it and has said yes. Truck was garage kept for all but the last couple of years, it's in great shape...

He'd probably let me take it for a spin and hook up my trailer, so might do that.

We'll see what happens. Marty, will keep you in mind, of course....my brother mentioned he might want it for a "woods truck" at his camp....

• 3 weeks later...

Deal fell through, once he cleaned it up and put new tires on it, he couldn't part with it....seller's remorse before the sale.

I'm looking for a big block 2500 Yukon or Chevrolet Suburban for towing, 7.4 or 8.1 engine, 4 wheel drive, less than 80K miles. There're out there, just hard to find or across the country....if you know of one available please contact me...thanks

• 5 months later...

Agreed, you can't beat the 3/4 ton with the big engine.

Problem is, due to mileage restraints by the Gub-mint, they quit putting the big engine in them in 2006.

I get a kick out of the 3/4 ton Yukon or Suburban with a small engine in it. I've heard all the arguments about Vortec engines, but as the drag racers say, theres no replacement for displacement.

I've done some work on my '96 3/4 ton, so am using it for now, still sorta looking for that low mileage replacement....