1942 DeSotos...How Many Survived?

TG57Roadmaster

There have been some great responses to Hemiken's thread on the '42 DeSoto trunk light,

but I think a separate thread is needed to bring out all '42 survivors. At least the one's

owned by folks who read and post here.

A quick Google search revealed these images (and some non-S-10's), so perhaps the

owners of '42's of all body styles will share their cars' pics and stories here.

I've fed my '42 S-10 fixes vicariously thru polara61's purchase of his blue Custom Convertible

many years ago, and was delighted to see the other 'verts, too; the amazing

is one I thought I'd never see.

84544d1302234214-1942-desoto-trunk-light-42-desoto1a.jpg

polara61's S-10 'vert.

Although this thread is about about survivng cars, let's take a look at the '42's that live on in film,

courtesy of IMCDb.org. My favorite is, "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers," in which they crash(!)

the convertible in the opening scenes, but, "The Postman Always Rings Twice," features both

a Convertible and a Sedan. Their list is growing, and there's a Sedan, heavily-featured,

in an Abott & Costello flic set on a dude ranch, but I can't recall the movie's title.

i239169.jpg

In "Postman," this 'vert makes a cameo appearance, but the sedan is seen often.

i239165.jpg

As one who spends too much time watching old movies on TCM (for the cars, of course!), I have yet

to see an S-10 Sky-View Taxicab (a personal Holy Grail), and I've been looking! IMCDb shows one

in "Saboteur," but it doesn't have the '42's unique "Desoto Sky-View" roof light; after watching the film,

you never see its face (its screen time is too brief), and I'd lay odds that it's a '41.

Since the last time I searched, two '42 Sky-Views have appeared, but I'm afraid both are long gone...

i306754.jpg

First, from a period documentary at IMCDb.org.

And this Sky-View, which can be found in a fascinating story of the Waters Mfg. Co.

(the company that converted the taxis), over at Coachbuilt.com.

oo1942DeSoto_Waters_1.jpg

oo1947_DeSoto_Waters_3.jpg

Both Sky-View images from Coachbuilt.com

So, '42 owners, let's see and hear about your beautiful S-10's,

whether they're projects, drivers, or show cars!

Thanks,

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

To fuel the '42 flames, here's something not often seen...S-10's in dealer showrooms.

42_coupe_show_roomx.jpg

Larger, the photo appears to be retouched, adding the Club Coupe.

42_normandins_desoto_deal_orig_cropx.jpg

Larger (click once after opening to enlarge), Normandin's DeSoto-Plymouth, San Jose, CA;

note the appliances in the showroom, a common wartime practice after cars became

harder to acquire (and for dealers to sell) due to OPA regulations.

42_normandins_desoto_detailx.jpg

Larger, given the gas ration stickers in the used cars' windows, this detail of the Normandin

photo would have been taken after May, 1942. I count four S-10's and two '42 Plymouths.

Enjoy!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I own a 48 DeSoto business coupe and lived in San Diego. Back in the 80s, my brother was a school bus driver and told me saw a car like mine with hidden headlights. I said Oh Gee, that's a rare '42 DeSoto. I went to look at it. A biker was driving through New Mexico and bought it. I wanted to buy it, but didn't have much money, so I kept my mouth shut, hoping the biker would put a For Sale sign on it. It was a running in good condition! I waited too long because he finally sold it to a guy who planned to hot rod it! I never saw the 42 again. Sad!!! BTW, does anybody know of a 42 Desoto for sale? Marc Capralis <marcapra@msn.com>.

• 2 months later...

post-89110-143139235138_thumb.jpg

Just found and purchased this 1942 DeSoto Custom Club Coupe in eastern WA; the car was purchased and has always resided in this area. The previous owner had parked the car 36 years ago in their garage and started dismantling the front end to repaint it (thankfully I found all parts and they didn't get too far with this). This car had the Simplimatic (piston type) transmission with Fluid Drive. The interior is original and has a light colored wool upholstery with vinyl type bolsters that match the woodgrained dash. On a similar forum on the center rear brakelight, decklid handle, the brakelight housing is painted the car color, in this case, Regal Maroon. That housing also has the stripes painted red, which had faded off the few other examples I have seen. The car also has the original rubber floor mats front and back. The previous owner did repaint the engine block and the exhaust manifold. Not sure what the correct color for the engine is but was probably a Chrysler green which is more of a forest green I think. Appreciate any info on that if available. He had also painted the carburetor silver. I will go through the mechanicals and I think I can get it to fire up. One question, what fluid should be used in the fluid drive coupling? F-type auto trans fluid? Looking forward to more info from 42 or other desoto enthusiasts. I have several Hudsons which I am restoring as well, and like all makes of old cars in general. My other big rest project right now is a 67 Olds Toronado which I purchased from the original owner. A sweet ride to be sure, and like the 42 DeSoto, it has hidden headlamps.

post-89110-143139235134_thumb.jpg

Still, I'd like to know how many 42 DeSotos are still thought to exist out there. Surely there are some quietly stuffed away in garages like the one I found, but probably most of what is out there is known about. Will post more pictures of this car soon. have a bit of cleanup to do. The stainless on the fenders is not very good, and I bet it's pretty hard to find any replacements, so will probably have to repair what is there.

There are four convertibles known. The trim strips on the fenders are unique to '42 DeSoto and are chrome plated steel rather than stainless. I've found quite a few parts on e-bay through the years. Sometimes it takes a sharp eye, because '42 parts may be advertised as '46-'48 and may not be the same. Looking forward to your additional pictures.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Still, I'd like to know how many 42 DeSotos are still thought to exist out there. Surely there are some quietly stuffed away in garages like the one I found, but probably most of what is out there is known about. Will post more pictures of this car soon. have a bit of cleanup to do. The stainless on the fenders is not very good, and I bet it's pretty hard to find any replacements, so will probably have to repair what is there.

There is no way to tell how many are still out there since a lot of cars are hidden and may never see the light of day. There are clubs with cars registered with them and those are the only ones that can be counted unless you know of some not know of by those particular clubs.

Is the grille chrome plated also? So only 4 convertibles are known. Of the rest of the 22,000+ some cars produced, how many are estimated to have survived? I saw the posting on the Custom 3-pass business coupe that is now in Europe that said it was the only one out of 120 that were produced still surviving. I did see a club coupe just like the one I have come up for sale on ebay about 2-3 years ago; located around Eugene, OR I think and it didn't sell.

Very rare. These were continued post war with only a different plastic center using the post war emblem. Note that the wheel was turned when the car was parked, so the wheel is upside down. Tough choice, do you have the wheel or dash upside down in the photo!

I guess these worked by pulling down the knob and then it would push a cigarette up the top; I imagine it's kind of spring loaded somehow; any pics of the inside of the disperser? Very 40s and very cool. Although I don't smoke! You probably only dispensed the cigs on the straighaway!

Very rare. These were continued post war with only a different plastic center using the post war emblem. Note that the wheel was turned when the car was parked, so the wheel is upside down. Tough choice, do you have the wheel or dash upside down in the photo!

Sorry but I couldn't turn the wheel unless the car was rolling-Didn't want to hard knot the gemmer steering gear!

Could you do me a favor and take a good picture of the radio on your Park Avenue dash? Mine seems to be missing a trim strip between the dial window and the preset buttons. Makes me wonder if it was a replacement radio out of another Chrysler of the era as they all have the same basic layout/design for a number of years. Even my 1940 Plymouth Coupe has a similar type radio. How do you use/set the frequencies with the preset buttons? Pulling them out doesn't work. Also, if you could take a picture of the steering wheel cigarette dispenser with the lid opened, that would be interesting to see, just for grins.

Thanks,

Tim

• 5 years later...