Anyone used Enviro-Safe Refrigerant yet?

hinspect

I just found out that R-134A is going out of style and ordered a few cans of Enviro-Safe for $5.00 a can from Ebay. It is supposed to be a replacement for R-12 as well as R-134A. The only downside is that I suspect that it might be slightly flamable. Any comments? Terry

At risk of drawing the ire of any AC shop owners on this forum that are against owners doing their own AC conversions Ill share my experience with the refridgerant blend Envirosafe-12. I restored a 1991 Dodge Shadow Convertible when I lived in Florida in the 1990s. AC is mandatory in Florida whether you drive a Hardtop or Convertible! The little Dodge was still the old R-12 system and not converted to 134a just quite yet. I had refitted the high and low service ports to accept 134a refridgerant and changed the AC hoses over to barrier type lines. Originally I had decided to do the 134a conversion but I then decided to go the blended Envirosafe-12 refridgerant route. It is compatible with either refridgerant oil so flushing was a option. The Shadows compressor was still good so a flush was not really required so I didnt flush the system. As I recall it only took about 12 oz of E-12 in the system designed for approximately 32-38oz of old R-12 gas. Lower pressures were required and it was easier on the whole system. As with any AC repair it is imperitive that the system is in good condition and leak free with barrier hoses as the blend involves different size molecules that can bleed through the old type non-barrier R-12 hoses. I put a 134a drier on in case I wanted to switch to 134a later if I wasnt satisfied. But, I was pleasently surprised with the results in the humid Florida Summer heat. It cooled very well in the upper 30Fs with mid 90Fs ambient Florida temperatures. I must admit that at that time it was illegal to introduce the E-12 in around 18 states at that time because of the powerful AC lobbiests but this type of butane/propane blend has been in use for decades in foriegn countries and extensively used in Australia and Asia. The arguement about the flammability of the refridgerant was and is promoted by the AC shop owners and chemical company lobbiest who dont want private owners doing their own work. thus taking potential profits out of their pockets. They argue that it is dangerous for novices to handle the mere 12 or so ounces of the butane/propane gases but if thats such a concern then those same inept private citizens have no business changing the propane bottle on their BBQ Grilles on their patios or even refilling their butane cigarrette lighters! And of course those same doomsday critics pay no heed to the 20-30 gallons of unleaded gasoline that one sits atop every time you drive your vehicle! Arguements about frontend collisions making the refridgerant flash when the system is ruptured are no more of a fire hazard than R-12 or 134a that when those gases are under high pressure will flash in their own right when they come in comtact with the sparks and hot engine parts in an accident! No instance of anyone being incinerated have ever been reported that I have ever heard of. These fear-mongers spread false stories for a reason....they dont want you working on your own cars system! That takes money away from them, period. As with any type of car repair it must be done with a serious mindset for safety. One can be seriously injured just changing a tire! :eek: OK....AC shop owners....flame away!:rolleyes:

Guest Albert

i have used it, and does cool better than 134a, have not had any problems with it so far,,may be kinda worried if you have leaks in a heated garage, as the propane/ butane mix,,

Guest ReattaFan1
I just found out that R-134A is going out of style and ordered a few cans of Enviro-Safe for $5.00 a can from Ebay. It is supposed to be a replacement for R-12 as well as R-134A. The only downside is that I suspect that it might be slightly flamable. Any comments? Terry

Is that why the prices on 134a are sky high? I too live in florida. I bought this car back in october, no A/C. The guy I bought it off of converted the system to 134a but it's a fast leak. He said after charging the system it will leak out within a day. Now that summer is upon us it's time I look into finding that leak and charging the system. I plan on replacing all the rubber o-rings and both service port valves. But where is this cheep Enviro-Safe refrigerant? Ive tried looking on eBay for the $5.oo cans. I do see is there is a case of 12 at $59 + $26.95 Shipping (Ouch!). It's another auction for 4 cans at $38 free shipping. Thats better at $9.50 a can.

Guest Mc_Reatta

$5.00 a can was a deal on eBay.

I've been looking at these websites while thinking about switching.

manufacturer:

Refrigerant - Enviro-Safe Products

dealer:

Enviro-Safe Refrigerants

If you get a case of 12 you can get it at~ $5 per 6 oz can.

They have an industrial version which they say performs better for ~$7 a can delivered. Interestingly, it has a $20 hazmat charge added to delivery cost by the manufacturer.

• 6 months later...
Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

I used Enviro-Safe in my wife's Reatta for years. It had a slow leak and it was much easier to add a can per year than to fix the leak. It worked very well. I have also used it in many of the mid 80s cars I have played with with very good results. It is easy to use and seems to work every bit as well as Freon as long as you don't overcharge the system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Guest Jerrycaterr

Now 2013 models refrigerant gone old, now presenting the most updated, safest with smartest features product, i.e 2016 product - R424a refrigerant. It's an EPA approved as well as non-flammable. So, why are you waiting for? Just order and buy this extra-ordinary product.

r424a refrigerant for sale

Since up pulled up this old post, here is another option......... check out this utube video

One of the regular posters on the Buick General discussion has been running his 55 Buick on this for about 4 years.

On the hoses, if you are replacing hoses, triple wall OR used R-12 hoses will work. The entrained refrigerant oil will impregnate old hoses and provide a molecular seal. If you go out and buy a set of NOS R-12 hoses the charge will be gone in the morning.

All that conspiracy stuff in post #2. I have been paying attention since I was about 11. All the conspiracy theories I have heard give WAYYYY too much credit to the abilities of the conspirators.

At least that's what I'm trying to get you to believe.

Bernie