converting 1935 mechanical brakes to 1936 hydraulic

Guest mclbuick2002

Guest mclbuick2002

Has anyone tried converting 1935 mechanical brakes to hydraulic by using a 1936 master cylinder and backing plates/brake drums from a 1936 all 40 series?

You might want to check with Paul Rickman Welcome! | 1933 Buick Registry he has a modified (I think it's a 35) that has hydralic brakes I'm pretty sure he might have some tips.

As for specific to putting in '36 brakes i do not know enough about either car to suggest anything. Sounds interesting though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest busybee37

YES, it can be done. I changed mine and found it a very simple procedure. You use the 36 brake pedal, backing plates, wheel cylinders, drums. The backing plates have a small modification where they bolt to the rear housing and the front spindles. You'll also use the 36 master cylinder and bracket. It makes a nice job. E-mail me at rbecraft37@yahoo.com if you want more info.:)

Edited by busybee37
forgot step (see edit history)

WHY ??

My 1934 Buick Model 57 has 4-wheel mechanical brakes with a Vacuum Power Booster.

Properly adjusted, this car will stop as well as any hydraulic system, and will never have a brake fluid leak.

• Like 1

Yes it can be done and has been done.

A fellow here in Melbourne Australia updated his 35 with Hydraulic brakes from a later Buick.

I believe not only the 36 would be an option but later years up to mid 40's.

Another guy here changed over the whole backing plates drums etc from a 46 on to his 34 and still running the original wheels as well as the diff and front end.....all bolt on I believe.

I don't know what brakes pedal set up they used.....I suspect some minor engineering would be required to install a suitable set up to

Guest mclbuick2002

Busybee1937

Will you send me a private message so I can ask you some questions about conversion,such as, modification to backing plates? I tried emailing to your yahoo address but it was undeliverable.

Stan

I personally would use 1937 and later as the 1936 special brakes are unique and seem to have a late and early production making repair parts a pain. If you use 1937 or later parts then you avoid this problem.

I personally have seen two different types of brake shoes on a 36 and they didn't want to play with each other.

Bill

Guest mclbuick2002

Have you used 1937 brake drums and backing plates on a 1935 or do you know anyone that has? The 1936 does use a smaller master cylinder than the 1937 .

Stan