What did you do to your classic today?

Guest Guest

I rolled my '70 Bug outside for a little while on Saturday, while I did a hatch strut replacement on my '96 Passat wagon. Sure was nice to see the car in the sun and hear the engine run.

Yes, that's still snow in the background too. But it's on it's way OUT!

70BugOutsd26Feb11R.JPG

When I rolled it back inside, it went in nose-first, so that I could start attacking the driver's side wheelwells for undercoat scraping, and then rust-coating the pan & reinforcement rail (similar to how I completed on the passenger's side). Eventually got front wheelwell almost done and plan to move onto rear one today.

Happy Sunday and rest of your weekend everyone!

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

I spent yesterday piddling with the 1927 E-75 Speedster, got her running for the first time in eight months - ran like a champ!!, took the 61 Caddy for a trip to the beer store, closed up the previously mentioned headlight project for the 27 Marmon Model Ls and..... Wait for it.....

Field tested (drove) with the Marmon running solely on the Stewart Warner Vacuum Fuel Tank. SUCCESS!!!! All seems well and good plus no more occasional gas spitting from the Schebler at shut off ( right on top of the exhaust pipe - gas turns into a scary white vapor when it hits the pipe). and double checked pressure in 37 tires, one was a little low. Another great day!!! I love this faux Spring we're having - I'm afraid it won't last but while it does, YaaHoo!

Pretty day in Winchester Va., in the 60's, for the first time in 4 or 5 years have the Cord running, took it for a spin around the patch (oh, we're talking cars, a drive around the neighborhood!).

Electropneumatic shifting, getting reverse, 1st , 2nd, 3rd great, 4th gear is not obeying quite yet.....but glad to have it on the road again....

Now to work on a few more things, and see if I can figure out how to get it to the ACD meet in Auburn this year for certification....

post-31482-143138464949_thumb.jpg

Not quite a classic yet but putting new front sheetmetal on my 89 crown vic after it got hit a couple months ago,its probably never going to be restored as I found out its a little more rusty then I thought so its going to get patched back togather and be a winter beater untill it falls apart.

I went out to the garage, got in my Model A Ford, started it up and pulled it out of the garage. It was about 72 degrees here today so I drove it a few miles. I stopped by our local non-ethanol gasoline distributor and filled it up. It was a fun little drive.

The week before last I chopped ice out of the side driveway so I could liberate my trailer. Then I loaded the 1906 2-cylinder Buick and hauled it to Mt. Dora, Florida for the HCCA annual meeting and tour. The first day of the tour I lost a valve keeper; Mike Yeakel got it back on the road using a big cotter pin for a valve keeper, and it lasted he rest of the tour. The last day I broke an ignition wire, but jerry-rigged a fix to get me home. Total Buick mileage for the week: 423! That includes one 122-mile day. I had passengers every day; one day I had 650 pounds of passengers, not counting myself. Names will be withheld to protect the guilty. Pretty good for a 105-year-old two-banger! Just got home this afternoon - it's 1130 miles one-way - and put the Buick back in the garage. Lots of brass to polish now!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

1937hd45

good to hear you are having a "blast"

hoping to work on the '37s brakes -- then get the '54 out from her slumber in preparation for the Founders Tour

Don, sorry to hear about your clutch.

I turn 60 this year, and I'm slipping too.

Good thing is, you can fix your clutch...........

It's always something for sure......

Ain't it the truth. The worst part is that I know there is no way I can do that job myself and will have to find a shop I can trust. I would have probably attempted it in days gone by....

Guest Trickstar
Wow, that's a gorgeous Skylark! Noticed you are Nutmeg State also (& similar snowpiles in the background of the picture!)--will look forward to seeing your car in person some time this coming season...

Yeah i just sold

untitled.jpg

and bought another skylark..

The skylark i had before the DSM was stolen back in late 90's (broke my heart)

but yeah ive been looking around for locals to welcome me as im getting old and need alittle this and that when it comes to cars.

Oldcarfudd

Went over to Mt. Dora on Thursday evening to have dinner with a friend of mine that was attending the meet. Nice array of cars and a fine venue for the meet. The one thing I can say is you Brass guys are not afraid to drive them. I think I saw your Buick. We have a Durant Club member that is about to buy a 1908 Buick out of Texas. Can't wait to see it at a show. Durant Club members are partial to Buicks since Billy Durant was running the company then.

Guest browniepetersen

english hudson front drivers side best mvc-005EIt just came back from the shop having the interior installed. I decided to pull the generator, starter motor and take them in to have them rebuilt. Now, if only I could figure out how to post a photo I would add a shot or two...

It is now March and I have finished all of the mechanicals. I need a week or two to do the final detail work and then it will be ready to drive and enjoy. Hope to see all of you on the road...

post-69639-14313846987_thumb.jpg

post-69639-143138483937_thumb.jpg

post-69639-143138483945_thumb.jpg

Edited by browniepetersen (see edit history)

Got more stuff done on the '70 Bug:

Second coat of masterseries on the driver's side reinforcement rail & strategic areas of the driver's side pan.

Then went to town on the bumpers that came on the car: decent original German VW bumper front, and kinda rumpled & rusted non-German (probably Brazilian) rear bumper. Took both apart and went to work on them first with hammers to restore shape, and then alternating Never-dull & coarse steel wool on the rear bumper's chrome (salvaging it to a moderate level--at least I can use it now until I find a good used German one to replace it).

Final step was wire brushing & masterseries-ing the inside surfaces of both bumpers.

While that stuff's drying now, I'm upstairs making a pizza...

And it's only Saturday still--hope to get a few more things done tomorrow (like maybe overcoating the masterseries areas with proper color paint)...

Old car driving weather's coming along slowly but surely, here in South-Central Connecticut...and I want to be ready...

Moved boxes of parts from one part of the basement to another, closer to my workshop. Stripped and painted winshield washer jar bracket while the rain turned to snow. Will start to rebuild the clock for the car.

Still trying to get my wrecked 89 crown vic drivable,it seems strange that I can find parts for my 65 galaxie in the local junkyards but not too much for the 89. I can find more Lincoln town cars of that era then the grand marquis and crown vics and can get the last part I need new on ebay.

Got black rustoleum coating onto the underside of the driver's side pan, and body color enamel (VW color code L620 Savannah Beige) onto the reinforcement rail.

Wow, looks like I can finally get back to main body paint restoration next...

The bumpers'll get put back together last, since they have to be off for the body paint work (color sanding, compounding, polishing) that's going to be happening next.

Just need more hours in the day...

• 2 weeks later...

Had to put a new water pump on my 65 custom 500 tonight,swaped the carb the other night and heard a strange noise so after work I removed the belts to find the source and it was a almost froze up water pump. It must have been slowly going bad as it now seems to have more power and glad it did not go out the other night since I was kicking in the secondaries of the 4 bbl to blow out the carbon and seeing how it ran.

Bumpers straightened (well, in a matter of speaking anyway...) and Masterseries'd on the inside (el cheapo rear bumper foreground; good German front bumper = background). I used the "alternating never-dull & 0000 steel wool technique" to freshen up the exterior chrome also.

BmprsAftr6Mar11r.JPG

Also got back to color sanding the body (want to get further before I insert another progress photo). Almost the weekend again--hope to get more done, especially now that the good weather seems to be returning (along with the extra hour of afternoon sunlight!)...

Can't forget a green beer, today, too--Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Well, in a round-about-way, I guess I am doing something for the car. I have been rebuilding a shed attached to the garage. This will be a place I can transfer at lot more "stuff" out of the garage. You know, more room to work on the car. The only problem is, THEN I have to rebuild the garage (wood frame with tin) before it falls down. Its about 90 years old, and most (if not all) of the support posts are all termite eaten, so the garage is basically resting on its walls, with no support from the posts. All this I am doing for the sake of my old Pontiac.

Had to install a new battery in my 55 sunliner last night,battery just decided to call it quits and worked fine a couple weeks ago. I just happend to have another in the same size so I will use it untill it goes bad,I was going to take it back and see if it was still under warranty but looked at the build date sticker and it was 11-03 so wont waste my time doing that.

Guest Ctskip

Having moved to a smaller garage and my Zephyr being 250 miles to the south, it gets a bit difficult to do much of anything on her. So I was thinking about her and reading what y'all are doing to your vehicles. So I figured that counted as doing something. I called my FIL and asked if he would sandblast the steering wheel so I can epoxy in the cracks and put a skim coat over the entire thing. The plastic (or whatever it is) just feels like a three day old beard, so i figured I'd skim coat it with epoxy and fine sand it and see what I end up with. I figure I can't do it any more harm than whats been done from sitting in the Texas sun for forty some years.

Hey, at least I'm thinking about her. If walking by them counts, thinking about them should also, right? Maybe I'll go wash and fondle my daily driver.

Skip

Fired up the Mustang last weekend, mostly to test its battery. I had run it down in my truck during the winter. Didn't go anywhere, the roads are still too dirty here. Then yesterday, the blizzard of the century. Well at least, of the winter. So it'll be a while yet. Haven't touched the '34 since the last posting.

The recycling center was open today, so I put some bags on the running board carrier of my '13 Ford runabout and trundled off do do my civic duty. After some discussion of whether the car should go in with the old newspapers or the tin cans, they agreed just to take the bags of stuff and let me keep the car.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Spent some time cleaning / sweeping winter debris out of the garage and really thought about taking the covers off my cars and starting them up but decided not to. Kind of a hassle to uncover them only to re-cover them a short while later. Roads still aren't dry enough that I want to take them out. The registration ran out on the LTD in January so I've got to get it registered before I can use it anyway.

After I get off the computer today I am going to do a oil pressure test on the 55,the lifters are making noises too long after fire up and this will determine how quick the Y block goes back in. The engine builder stuck the wrong cam in the 351 and I was going to replace it since it might be a couple years before I can get the 292 rebuilt but if there is a oil pressure issue I am going to start the tear down on the 292 so I know what I need and hope the 351 will get me through the summer or it might get parked and drive my 65 country squire this summer and let the 55 sit untill I can fix it right.