Adhesive needed for Silicone Rubber ?

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

I am looking for a good adhesive to bond a High-Temp silicone sponge rubber sheet to steel & fiberglass!

I have tried solvent based contact cement, water based contact cement, 3M Weatherstirp Adhesive, 3M Trim Adhesive, GE Silicone Adhesive itself~~~

Nothing works successfully !

After all these various Adhesives cure this rubber just peels-off leaving just the adhesive behind~~~

I have tried de-waxing the rubber sheet material first & cleaning with laquer thinner & acetone~~~

Still the very same results~~~

It just peels off like on a non-stick frying pan !

The High-Temp Silicone sponge rubber by it's very nature seems to resist any adhesive I have tried~~~

Yet the old damaged silicone rubber I removed was firmly attached to the steel body panel with some sort of glue or adhesive !

Has anyone had any luck fastening silicone rubber with ANY known adhesive ?

What should I try next ?

What did YOU use successfully ?

Since you are trying to attach the silicone to a different substrate, i.e., steel, the cyanoacrylate should work, also might try a polyureathane type of glue (gorilla glue), or if you have a lot, try the one in the caulk tube as well. Silicone by nature is made to have a low surface friction, and like nickelroadster said, sticks extremely well to itself. Both of the above mentioned items should work for you. You also might look into a primer (not the paint kind) but one that is made for putting adhesive on rubber. 3M should have some, and they might be available from some industrial plastics / rubber firms. US Plastics might have it as well as TAP Plastics. Hope this sheds some light on what you are looking for.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Is the real problem the adhesives tried not sticking to the rubber or are they not sticking to the steel? If new steel you need to degrease it thoroughly before any of the adhesives you mentioned will stick to it. Same would be true for old steel where exposed to oil. Depending upon the resin used with the fiber glass it could also be releasing substances that are preventing adhesion.

Jim

Guest Silverghost

No Jim~~~

Everything is sticking fine to the Steel & fiberglass.

No problems on that side.

BUT~~~

I have found nothing to date that will stick to the silicone rubber !

There must be a specialized adhesive that works with this type of rubber as the remains of the original rubber was firmly afixed with a black colored adheive.

Whenever I run into some kind of problem like that I get on the phone to the companies that make the stuff. You need to ask for a "tech rep" associated with the product. It sometimes takes a number of calls to find the right person but when you do they are usually very willing to spend as much time as it takes helping with advice. I'm honest and tell them exactly what I need the info for. Sometimes I think they welcome my calls as a diversion from the norm. Try Dow, GE, Dow Corning etc etc........Bob

Good advice Bob. Using Comet bathroom cleaner was the solution from a paint rep. when we ran into silicone contamination refinishing yachts. It will also give some abrasion to aid in adhesion. And once again 3M 5200 is an excellent adhesive. Another option would be to question one of the epoxy companies.

Good luck , and let us know.

Guest martylum

Brad-several years ago I glued an expensive set of new runningboard covers ($1,800/set) to 36 Lincoln K boards. These rrepro. covers were made of urethane casting rubber which is very slick to the touch kind of like silicone. I went the rounds of severeal adhesive makers including 3M and the tech people did not have an adhesive they felt would glue this extremely slick cast rubber to metal primed boards.

I talked with the manufacturer of urethane casting rubber and they felt their product would work The advice was to wash the backside of the covers with ketone and then coat with a layer of brushed on liquid urethane and clamp for 2 hours. The car has been to many shows over several years and the board covers seem to be holding up well.

The boards are 9' long and fairly wide so we were busy getting them clamped down within the hour window for liquid urethane to set up but we managed. If you haven't found a solution yet, contact me and I will look up the vendor contact info.

Martin Lum

marty@oldercar.com