alsancle

PreWar Mercedes Benz

JV Puleo    183

I have no particular interest in these cars but I do have a question. Why would a hugely disproportionate number of them have been in the Soviet zone of occupation in order to be captured when practically all the high-ranking Nazis, who would have been using them, were doing everything they could to flee to the west. About the last thing most Nazis with "540K credentials" wanted (for excellent reasons) was to be captured by the Russians.

Buickliner    1
5 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

I have no particular interest in these cars but I do have a question. Why would a hugely disproportionate number of them have been in the Soviet zone of occupation in order to be captured when practically all the high-ranking Nazis, who would have been using them, were doing everything they could to flee to the west. About the last thing most Nazis with "540K credentials" wanted (for excellent reasons) was to be captured by the Russians.

:D30% of these 540K cars  were captured in 1943-1944 on the territory of the USSR.

Bad weather, and unpredictable retreat of the Nazis, forced to leave all civilian cars in the USSR + 60% of military equipment also.

When the Soviet troops began to approach Germany, no one nazis thought about the 540K.

All nazis thought the escape plan.

540K    24

I have no doubt the Soviets and Americans took whatever was convenient, but I haven't seen any evidence such a huge percentage (70-78% according to Buickliner) was in the Soviet Union by 1947. Without some evidence to prove those statistics, it is all just speculation that cannot be relied upon.

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

Buickliner    1

2 + 2 = 4. If you believe in it, or do not believe in it, but it does not influence on the result.!!!! More than 70% 500K/540K cars after 1944/45 

these cars began to be used in the USSR. It is an Axiom that does not require proof. This is recognized in Mercedes Benz.

In 1982, Mercedes made a request to the government of the USSR regarding these cars. They got this database.

JV Puleo    183

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple.

In historical research (my real job, by the way) the only thing that counts, in the long run, is documentation or hard physical evidence. The old car world is littered with wishful thinking and the projection of that thinking as "facts." Even were you to share the list, it's provenance is what counts. As to your contentions not requiring proof – that is just silly. It reminds me of an ad I saw years ago offering an item that supposedly belonged to Ulysses S. Grant. The ad literally read "Absolutely no proof and for this price I don't need any."

Buickliner    1
3 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple.

In historical research (my real job, by the way) the only thing that counts, in the long run, is documentation or hard physical evidence. The old car world is littered with wishful thinking and the projection of that thinking as "facts." Even were you to share the list, it's provenance is what counts. As to your contentions not requiring proof – that is just silly. It reminds me of an ad I saw years ago offering an item that supposedly belonged to Ulysses S. Grant. The ad literally read "Absolutely no proof and for this price I don't need any."

What proof do you need? 70% These 540K cars are not in Germany, not in Europe, not in the US. Where it can be? That's right in the USSR.

I do not want to hurt your psyche with images where these 540K cars were used as pick-up trucks in the fields, and also drove through the swamp and off-road.

On these cars soviet peoples went hunting, organized races in the fields. These cars in the USSR had no value until a certain point.

ce29e4s-960.jpg

20953609_146006569321540_8645813123488286810_n.jpg

Edited by Buickliner (see edit history)

alsancle    437

Here is the 380 on the Pebble show field.  It was owned by a gentleman from China who had his kids or grand kids climbing all over the car.   Sort of refreshing.

IMG_3071.JPG

540K    24

One more shot of the Pebble Beach BoS car. The trunk is a nice item, but ruins the look of the car. Also the "refreshing" shot of the 380, the Mayfair roadster that was red is now green, and the '29 SS by Castagna. 

BoS.jpg

380.jpg

Mayfair.jpg

29 SS Castagna.jpg

Edited by 540K (see edit history)

alsancle    437

Here is a period shot of the Pebble BOS.   Somebody who knows the story should tell it but the body was modified over the years and only in the latest restoration was it put back to original.

BarkerMercedes.jpg

540K    24
On 9/5/2017 at 7:51 AM, alsancle said:

21319000_1901000279929802_7700042926799785713_o.jpg

This description from a Bentley FB page: "Outside the Rembrandt Hotel Kensington, December 2, 1945. The Bentley behind the Mercedes 540K looks like Woolf Barnato's Speed Six Coupe CJ3811. The Mercedes was also owned by Barnato apparently." 

vintageracecar.com July 1, 2015 has an article about this. I don't have a subscription to see what it says.

If anyone knows who the photographer was, where this was originally published or knows where a high resolution image can be found, please let me know.

Edited by 540K (see edit history)