alsancle

PreWar Mercedes Benz

Great thread A.J. - sorry I can't contribute as everything I know about these cars is in this thread BUT now I will know about the updates.... :)

Thanks Steve. I have an strong affinity for these cars. They were different than anything else made during the classic era.

Edited by alsancle
spelling (see edit history)

I posted this (the text, the picture was not mine) in another forum so I'll take the liberty of copying it to here:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2189.0;attach=18283;image

Differences between a 500k & 540k.

Mostly, the 500k has hood lovers and the 540k chromed screens. But, some late 500ks were delivered with the hood screens and some of the 540ks were delivered with the 500k style louvers so that is not a hard and fast rule. Besides the different body styles, there were a number of minor differences between the chassis:

1. The 540k had .4 liter bigger displacement.

2. The 540k had larger jets in the carburetor.

3. The 540k had slightly longer wheelbase and track.

4. The location of the intake and exhaust manifold are reversed.

5. The 540k had a complex mercury driven shock & anti-sway system in the rear.

6. The 540k had a slightly larger exhaust pipe existing through the chassis.

7. The 540k had a different air cleaner (or silencer).

8. The gearing of the transmission and rear end are different.

9. The 540k tended to have twin exhaust pipes and the 500k single, however there were 500ks built with twin and 540ks built with single.

I'm sure there are a couple of others I'm forgetting.

Other then that the cars are practically identical and have basically the same performance as the additional horsepower of the 540k engine is offset by the additional weight of the larger chassis.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Is this the one that sold at the Rolf Meyer auction in 2003? It was a bargain at the time - 700k I believe. Perhaps the right hand drive held it back. I like the leather boot also. Although, if you see one done in the top of the line German cloth with the correct padding it looks as nice.

Is this the one that sold at the Rolf Meyer auction in 2003? It was a bargain at the time - 700k I believe. Perhaps the right hand drive held it back. I like the leather boot also. Although, if you see one done in the top of the line German cloth with the correct padding it looks as nice.

Not sure, but it is in Europe now I think. These are photos a friend sent from the Lake Como concours.

An SS (?) from the Keller collection at The Quail in 2007

I've seen it referred to as an SSK but I don't know if that is true. It has a Murphy body similar to the Muroc dry lake car.

29mercedesmurphy.jpg

Here is a 540K second series Cab A that is for sale in the U.S.A. Brought over from France in the 1950s and restored in the 1970s. Note the rare factory radio. They seem to have put a small seat in the back. I think it is supposed to be a small single seat facing sideways or luggage.

post-31305-143138478263_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138478266_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138478269_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143138478271_thumb.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

OK, I'll ask the question most poeple are thinking. What is the device between the headlamps on that car? Usually there is a small driving light in that location.

OK, I'll ask the question most poeple are thinking. What is the device between the headlamps on that car? Usually there is a small driving light in that location.

Maybe Dave knows what it is. I do know this particular car has a number of unique features. The glass is bullet proof and you can see how it makes the front windshield unique (and not as attractive).

Between the seats is a manual pump mechanism that was originally found on an aircraft. Those of you familar with these cars know that the fuel system is overly complex and prone to being a pain in the *ss. These days they almost all have electric pumps mounted. Goring had the manual pump installed to start the car in cold weather.

This car has not been restored and belongs to a very well known collector in Maine.

The device between the headlamps is a siren most likely. I do not know this car with the siren, but it was certainly common those days, for high ranking

members and those who liked to be, to have a siren on board , this one certainly looks like it

Johan

In this case it is a "blackout" driving lamp, to be used in place of the headlights. The car was worked on by Chris Charlton, and was in Maine for some time, but as far as I know is still owned by a Swede.

In this case it is a "blackout" driving lamp, to be used in place of the headlights. The car was worked on by Chris Charlton, and was in Maine for some time, but as far as I know is still owned by a Swede.

My mistake. Chris is the person who explained the funky fuel pump between the seats to me. I was under the impression that the car was owned by Chris's former employer.

My mistake. Chris is the person who explained the funky fuel pump between the seats to me. I was under the impression that the car was owned by Chris's former employer.

I think most people thought that, especially since the owner is very low key. The car certainly suffers a bit stylistically from the bulletproof treatment, but is certainly important historically. An old friend of mine had newspaper clippings featuring the car when it was exhibited around the country even making it to the area of western Illinois where I live on a post war bond sales tour just after the war. I find the color interesting also.

Here's an odd combination. A German car with an English body. Thrupp & Maberly coachwork.

Jason, there were actually a surprising number of English bodies put on Mercedes chassis in the late 20s and 30s. In most cases the English bodies did not seem to fit quite as well as the Sindelfingen ones but some were quite stylish. The one you posted looks very nice indeed.

Here is a 540K second series Cab A that is for sale in the U.S.A. Brought over from France in the 1950s and restored in the 1970s. Note the rare factory radio. They seem to have put a small seat in the back. I think it is supposed to be a small single seat facing sideways or luggage.

I dont think there were actually two series built of the Cab A. There are very early 1936 540Ks that have the body style with the spare wheels set in the fenders as well as late ones of 39 already with the 5 speed gearbox that have that same body also. You could always order them with the spare wheels in the back also. It wasn t until 1939-40 when the design changed a lot and those last Cab As looked similar in style to the one-off Krupp Special Roadster.