1931 Dodge Brother trip/visit

keiser31

My wife and I just had the pleasure of a nice visit and overnight stay with a Dodge Brother and sister from Saskatchewan, Canada. They are Glen & Edna Wasmuth and they drive their 1931 Dodge Brothers DH6 sedan EVERYWHERE!! They have taken the car on a "Coast to Coast Tour" in the past and have made numerous other trips, including a trip to Alaska, California and other points. It was nice to see another DH6 and to talk in depth about the differences in the USA made cars vs. the Canadian made cars. I will also help Glen find parts needed for his car. Here are some photos of the wonderful folks and their car. It was frosty this morning! And I want to say to Glen & Edna, thanks for including a visit to us on your trip! John & Cherrie

post-37352-143138399927_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138399935_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138399944_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138399952_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313839996_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138399968_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138399986_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138399994_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138400002_thumb.jpg

Im going to go and quit my job tomorrow and finish my 28 vic and do the same:). Well I would like to . That is how wifey and I want to travel. I have the same question of the 12 volt system. Hopefully they will come up to B.C. when it is warmer. Only -16c today.

Guest MidTNDawg

The more I look, the more I see. Has a pressurized cooling system been added? Forgive the questions but the interest is high. Doug

The more I look, the more I see. Has a pressurized cooling system been added? Forgive the questions but the interest is high. Doug

They charge the battery from a 110 outlet when they stop for a stay. The overflow tank was added and has performed flawlessly. Glen can explain how it works. As far as the trailer lights...I don't know about that. I think that they are 6 volt halogens.

to answer some of the questions: The trailer only weighs about 500 lbs & in Sask. it's legal to run a trailer without brakes as long as it doesn't weigh more than half the weight of the vehicle.We weighed on the way to Alaska & our total weight was over 5000lbs. We also have dual emergency brakes on the drive shaft to help in emergency stops which we used on some of the summits in Alaska when the brakes over heated.( There was no paint left on the brake drums by the time we got home.)We have a solar collector to charge the 12v cell bat.(which we will be using if we ever have some sun.) We are heading for the Chandler Driv-thru tree this morning near Leggett,CA. and maybe drive along the coast for a while.

Guest MidTNDawg

Thanks for the info! I am like a child at Christmas looking forward to getting "my car". I really do appreciate the patience with me as I try to gather info. I will be looking at the DBC website, but do they conduct seminars to answer questions for folk like me? Doug

to answer some of the questions: The trailer only weighs about 500 lbs & in Sask. it's legal to run a trailer without brakes as long as it doesn't weigh more than half the weight of the vehicle.We weighed on the way to Alaska & our total weight was over 5000lbs. We also have dual emergency brakes on the drive shaft to help in emergency stops which we used on some of the summits in Alaska when the brakes over heated.( There was no paint left on the brake drums by the time we got home.)We have a solar collector to charge the 12v cell bat.(which we will be using if we ever have some sun.) We are heading for the Chandler Driv-thru tree this morning near Leggett,CA. and maybe drive along the coast for a while.

Thanks, Glen...I was hoping that you would chime in so I would not keep guessing!

Guest MidTNDawg
MidTNDawg...what model/year vehicle do you have?

Well, I have been cautious about this because I do not have possession yet (a recent example of what can happen did just happen on this board) but within the next 3 weeks I should have a '30 DA 4 dr. Believe me I will shout when I get it home. I cannot say enough for my appreciation of the info. Doug

Oh, I will be joining. For some reason I just want to have the car first.

Well, I have been cautious about this because I do not have possession yet (a recent example of what can happen did just happen on this board) but within the next 3 weeks I should have a '30 DA 4 dr. Believe me I will shout when I get it home. I cannot say enough for my appreciation of the info. Doug

Oh, I will be joining. For some reason I just want to have the car first.

I can see why you were vague. Sorry for the pressure. Good luck.

Guest MidTNDawg

Was there a significant engine change from '30 to '31? The distributor on the '30 sits on top of the engine while this '31 enters the side of the block as later models did. Doug

Edited by MidTNDawg (see edit history)

Just a few more notes to clarify a few things; A mistake made earlier--the battery is a Gel battery, not a cell bat.

The cooling system is not pressurized, but the cap is non-vented and the hose going to the small holding tank comes from the overflow tube. The reason I put this on is because when we went to Alaska we lost gallons of antifreeze. Every time we went over a summit, we had to stop & add coolant. I put on this holding tank with a wing nut & a long hose, so when we stop I could dump the holding tank into the rad, But it worked better than expected and now when the car cools down it sucks it out of the holding tank back into the rad.

The bulbs I'm using on the car are halogen in the headlights. In the cowl lights are also halogen bulbs that are on at all times for running lights.In the tail-lights of the car are LED bulbs .

The signal lights on the Combi-camp tent trailer are also LED bulbs.

Glen

Hi Glen and John- got a couple of q's for you, too. First off, congrats on your Great Dodge Brothers Adventure! And I love your choice of Oregon's finest Bed & Breakfast for the well-worn DB traveler, namely John and Cherrie's place. What a great fun couple! My Dad and I had the pleasure of their company on a tour during the DB Nat'l Meet in Keizer, Oregon.

About your DH- do you have any close-ups of your trailer hitch setup? Did you weld it or bolt it on? You must have had to add some beef back there if it is anything like the 1929 DA frame. I realize you are not towing a whole lot of weight.

Also, it looks like you have a heater , judging by the plumbing I see. Was that factory in 31 or a dealer add-in or your addition? Does it work well for your Canadian winters? And where is the inside unit? The pictures don't show the unit.

I love the grill on the 31's- are the louvers fixed or are they thermostatically controlled as some cars have? (For instance, our 1932 Packard has the sylphon type thermostat which open and close the louvers).

Last one: Those look like some pretty beefy tires you are running? What size are they and where did you get them?

Keep up the Road Work! And if you should happen to be in the San Diego area, please let me know- we love to meet fellow DB'ers!

Joe

Guest MidTNDawg
Just a few more notes to clarify a few things; A mistake made earlier--the battery is a Gel battery, not a cell bat.

The cooling system is not pressurized, but the cap is non-vented and the hose going to the small holding tank comes from the overflow tube. The reason I put this on is because when we went to Alaska we lost gallons of antifreeze. Every time we went over a summit, we had to stop & add coolant. I put on this holding tank with a wing nut & a long hose, so when we stop I could dump the holding tank into the rad, But it worked better than expected and now when the car cools down it sucks it out of the holding tank back into the rad.

The bulbs I'm using on the car are halogen in the headlights. In the cowl lights are also halogen bulbs that are on at all times for running lights.In the tail-lights of the car are LED bulbs .

The signal lights on the Combi-camp tent trailer are also LED bulbs.

Glen

Thanks for the info and more especially for taking the time to respond. Looking forward to seeing more answers to others questions as well. Doug

idrjoe_sandiego...Thanks for the compliments! The louvers on the '31 DH6 are fixed. The ones on the '31 DG8 are thermostatically controlled. As far as I know, that is the norm. I believe Glen and Edna ARE going through San Diego to get to Yuma. Here are some photos of the second style grill that the DH6 had...stamped steel. I have not yet determined when they changed over to which one or which one came out first. I believe that the stamped steel item came out first and was later revised to look like louvered slats. Of my two '31 coupes, one has two door hinges and came with the stamped steel grill. The later coupe has three door hinges and the slats.

post-37352-143138401989_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138401997_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138402016_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Very minor modifications on the '32 DL6 grill. Smoothed out that little "kink" at the bottom. ;)

Ahhhhh!!! THAT'S what the difference is! I have looked at those for years...and I do mean YEARS and knew that they were different from 1931 to 1932, but for the life of me, I could not figure it out. I never saw them side by side. Now I know. THANK YOU Phil 32DL6!

Sorry that this thread got hijacked by myself trying to answer idrjoe_sandiego's question, but it IS about '31 Dodges, so...to finish my answer...I just discovered that all of the photos that I have of '32 DBs show the stamped steel grill, so I guess that verifies my theory. Here is another '32...yes...the crankhole cover is incorrect.

post-37352-143138402324_thumb.jpg

Guest MidTNDawg
Sorry that this thread got hijacked by myself trying to answer idrjoe_sandiego's question, but it IS about '31 Dodges, so....

OK. What about Glen's engine? Is it a 1931? Goes back to my question about the didtributor location. Doug

OK. What about Glen's engine? Is it a 1931? Goes back to my question about the didtributor location. Doug

It IS a 1931 DH engine. There were significant changes from 1930 to 1931. Engines, bodies, chassis.

I too am very much enamored in the adventure(s) that this Dodge has had with its owners. It would have to be mostly fun for sure. Some day maybe I may be able to venture out on the road in a like fashion, one never knows. Great little story and want to pass on my wishes of nothing but a fun and safe journey. Scott…

Guest MidTNDawg

31DH, when convenient to answer, I have a couple more questions. Why a gel battery rather than a deep cycle wet cell? Where did you place this battery? Re: Solar panel. What is the physical size and where is it placed? What are the electric specs on the panel? Thanks and have fun on your trip. Doug

Continuing through California...

Hi everyone,

First day without jackets and can finally take our winter boots off,

Only went 125 miles today along the coast and we’ve seen enough curvy roads and drop off’s with no guard rails! So we are heading inland now towards Desert Hot Springs. We are camped at Petaluma KOA tonight.

We were going to go to Mariposa to see a guy there, but found out today that he died in Nov.!

Not very far but quite eventful – we were second upon a car accident with no cell service. The lady that was there first went for help and we started to help the elderly man & lady out of their car after finding out that they were ok.

The pictures will tell the rest.

post-37352-143138405521_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138405522_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138405524_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138405526_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138405528_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138405529_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313840553_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138405532_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138405534_thumb.jpg

Sorry that this thread got hijacked by myself trying to answer idrjoe_sandiego's question, but it IS about '31 Dodges, so...to finish my answer...I just discovered that all of the photos that I have of '32 DBs show the stamped steel grill, so I guess that verifies my theory. Here is another '32...yes...the crankhole cover is incorrect.

Ooops...senior moment...that actually does NOT prove my theory about the grills.

We had a good run today, 382miles from Petaluma(N. of San Fran.) to just North of LA.,close to Santa Clarita. It was quite a climb up the Tejon Pass,4100 ft.

on I-5. The car was getting warm, so we stopped just before the top where it said there was water. Added a couple of cup-fulls of antifreeze to the rad.Filled a couple juice bottles with cold water from the tap just in case the fuel pump vapor locked.Didn't realize we were just about to the top.

Enjoyed our drive today passing thousands of ac. of orchards: oranges, lemons, almonds & pistachios. Made me feel homesick seeing all the tractors out there!!

In answer to a couple questions: The tires are from Coker.

The reason I'm using a gel bat. is because it is small,2 1/2" X 6" X 4".and we put it on the floor in the front seat during the day and at night take it into the tent trailer to charge it.

The solar collector is about a foot sq.; 6w -- .35A . We made brackets for it to hang on a side window.

Glen

Guest MidTNDawg

Glen, thanks for the reply. Yes! to the size of the gel batt. No wonder you chose that. And that is great the solar panel can be that small. Thanks again and continued good luck with the trip. Doug