Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

Guest Jim_Edwards
And according to an expert on the TODAY show this is all due to global warming. He said that because of that more moisture is coming up out of the Gulf of Mexico and turning into snow. Hmmmm....does it go backward to bury the northwest??? :P

Uh oh, now you've done it Susan. Opened the door to a highly controversial issue. The theory now is the melting of the Arctic ice cap is cooling the Gulf Stream being the cause of the "weather" being experienced. Of course one cannot ignore the ever changing Jet Stream air currents in the mix of things.

In reality we'd be a lot better off in increasing our understanding of the changes going on with the Earth's magnetic field, which has resulted in a shift in what we call magnetic North to being many degrees away from what is the physical North Pole. The magnetic field is directly tied to Tectonic Plate movement, the results of which are well illustrated with the events taking place in Australia. It is sufficient to say we are in for some events on the old planet that some alleged scientists and most certainly politicians will attribute to human activity in their ignorance of Earth Sciences and what goes on beneath the Earth's crust as Earth responds to events taking place on the Sun. It is a huge mistake to think man has any control over or can alter those affects.

By the way, over the 6 billion years of Earth's estimated existence the Earth's magnetic poles have shifted on many occasions. The results of those shifts have at times resulted in the extinction of all advanced living things, whether plant or creature in nature.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

WE got slammed with 18" of snow & Ice last night !

Our Electric power & heat was off for 4 hours !

45" of snow so far this winter~~~And counting ~~

Another snow storm expected this weekend ~~~~

And still another early next week !

Guest Silverghost

Anyone comming to the Philly AACA annual meeting please feel free to take home as much of our snow as you wish !

We have plenty of FREE SNOW & ICE to spare !

Guest Skyking
It's that darn Global Warming! :D

Jim

I wonder how many still believe it? :eek:

These are the winters we used to get when I was a kid.

We got the same kind here in W. Va. when I was a kid in the early fifties. We rarely missed school. The kids here now have had to give up one of their days off already and will have to go an extra five days in early June. And we aren't even out of January yet. :o

I will say that I am very, very grateful that Bill and I are retired and don't have to get out in this unless it is for something like an appointment. Other stuff can wait if the roads are awful. :)

Guest Jim_Edwards

Pretty much what I have been thinking. Don't know what years you are referring to but I recall some very nasty winters in Northeast Texas '50-'53 when I was a kid. One year we got a couple of 7" plus inches of snow within a couple a weeks of one anther. I know that doesn't sound like much to you folks up in the Northeast but such events were less than common in Texas, and for the most part still are. Of course we've been lucky in the part of Texas where I live, no snow or ice this year. Actually the last time for that in these parts must have been around 25 years ago.

Jim

Guest Skyking
We rarely missed school. The kids here now have had to give up one of their days off already and will have to go an extra five days in early June. And we aren't even out of January yet. :o

:)

I remember walking through a foot of snow going to school, we rarely had any days off. Today, schools are canceled just on the assumption of snow in the forcast. Kids are making up time well after school is out.:confused:

Guest Skyking
Pretty much what I have been thinking. Don't know what years you are referring to but I recall some very nasty winters in Northeast Texas '50-'53 when I was a kid. One year we got a couple of 7" plus inches of snow within a couple a weeks of one anther. I know that doesn't sound like much to you folks up in the Northeast but such events were less than common in Texas, and for the most part still are. Of course we've been lucky in the part of Texas where I live, no snow or ice this year. Actually the last time for that in these parts must have been around 25 years ago.

Jim

Jim, I remember my father in the garage putting chains on the car before going to work around 56,57. That's way before they used salt on the roads here. The roads were packed solid with snow and chains were very common. The last time we had this much snow in RI was in 1996, the year I was living in Florida. I remember my family saying that 100" fell that year. We might come close in 2011...............:(

Woke up to another inch of white stuff. This snow crap is getting old. :mad: Four more days till the Woodchuck gives us his answer. It better be an early spring or I'm gonna pop him one. ;) Dandy Dave!

After getting an additional two and a half inches of wet snow a couple of days ago we will have temperatures in the low 40's today and tomorrow. We need this new snow to melt off before we got more snow starting on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Luckily we have had some sun so anywhere we cleared the snow it is now dry. And it is VERY sunny out there right now. WHOOO HOOO!!!! :D

We are still missing out on all the fun.

72 degrees and sunny this morning - partly cloudy this afternoon - possible showers Sunday, and then back to the sunshine on Monday.

Some snow would really be an interesting break here.

We are still missing out on all the fun.

72 degrees and sunny this morning - partly cloudy this afternoon - possible showers Sunday, and then back to the sunshine on Monday.

Some snow would really be an interesting break here.

When I was in New Orleans quite a few years ago I heard that if it snowed at all the kids were let out of school. People here wish their kids could STAY in school right about now. So far they have to make up about five more days in the summer.

Back in the 50's and 60's when I was in school, my town did not own a school bus. All the kids attended neighborhood schools and walked, to school in the morning, home for lunch, and back in the afternoon. There was one high school so the city gave out city bus passes if you lived more than 1 1/2 miles from the school. Now when I go back where I grew up and pass the high school, there have to be 100 buses sitting there. They have closed all of the smaller schools and consolidated them into 3-4 larger schools and they bus kids from one end of town to the other. It's possible to have a school just down the street from your home, yet attend a school 5 miles away on the other side of town. I can't believe it is more cost effective to run things that way.

Woke up to another inch of white stuff. This snow crap is getting old. :mad: Four more days till the Woodchuck gives us his answer. It better be an early spring or I'm gonna pop him one. ;) Dandy Dave!

That woodchuck will tell you anything you want to hear if you buy some Geico insurance from him. Don't let him chuck any of your firewood

FLASH --- I HAD TO OPEN MY BIG MOUTH !!

The weather guy on TV just pre-predicted cold nights for the middle of next week, and if the 30% chance of precipitation happened to come late at night:

We could see FLURRIES in, or around NEW ORLEANS --

YEAY -- HOORAY !!

still no need for tire chains on our "Glidden" cars, though....

The weather guy on TV just pre-predicted cold nights for the middle of next week, and if the 30% chance of precipitation happened to come late at night:

YEAY -- HOORAY !!

You better hope you don't wake up to THIS!! :eek: My friend Matt in CT posted this. His truck is sitting in his driveway, or at least he THINKS it is. :rolleyes::D

post-36313-143138426074_thumb.jpg

You better hope you don't wake up to THIS!! :eek: My friend Matt in CT posted this. His truck is sitting in his driveway, or at least he THINKS it is. :rolleyes::D

Yep, That looks about right. Tell him he needs a Buick Snowmaster. :D Dandy Dave!

Guest Jim_Edwards

YEAY -- HOORAY !!

You've got to be Kidding, right? That would be "freaky!" However, I do remember being in Lafayette in the early '80s and there was a freak weather event with ice and temps below 10 degrees.

Jim

Guest Skyking
I can't believe it is more cost effective to run things that way.

It isn't. That's why mostly all the states in this country are broke!

Christmas Eve, 1989 --

The New Orleans and Metairie area got almost one inch of fluffy powder snow. Drivers were sliding their cars every which way. They were spinning their wheels to try moving forward or back. They were locking up their wheels trying to stop. All they were doing was bashing into one another. Every time I got behind a "spinner", I told the driver to just put it into "D" or "L" and not to touch the gas, and when they could see up ahead that they needed to slow or to stop, do not touch the brake, but just take their foot off of the gas and put the gear selector in "N", etc.

I did repeat this series of instructions to a great many drivers who were not accustomed to snow -- maybe 25 - 30 times in a 1-1/2 mile drive which took me over four hours to cover less than two miles of absolutely level city streets. No country roads, no curves, no hills, no stop signs -- just four (4) traffic lights.

My biggest concern was the possibility of some clown sliding into my car.

Edited by Marty Roth
crs (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

I remember when it snowed down here in Tampa back in '77. It seemed that there was no one who knew how to drive in the snow. On the cross-town expressway, there were more cars in the ditches than on the road. Fortunately, I didn't drive that day. I KNEW that I didn't know how to drive in these conditions, and didn't want to risk it.

Daaahooooo. Here it comes again. They're calling for plenty Tuesday and Wednesday here.

Hey, does that mean that the wood chuck won't see his shadow...:confused: Dandy Dave!

Dave;

Given the weather conditions, there is no way there will be any shadow for that darned groundhog to see except from all the spotlights on him for photography. Because of that, there will be 6 more weeks of winter. I think Harry and Meatsy should hunt him down and have him for lunch on Wednesday!!! Or run him over with the Boohick!!!!

Dallas - Fort Worth is getting 1 to 3 inches of ice and snow this morning with high winds and below zero wind chill - and its not going to get above freezing until the weekend. I'm an old Chicago boy but I'm staying home today. Wonder what this will do to all the Super Bowl hoopla?

Wonder what this will do to all the Super Bowl hoopla?

The local Rod and Gun Club has already secured hiring my Buick Snowmaster Supershovel to get the snow out of the way for the super bowl bash they are having this weekend. They just did not push it back far enough with the plow trucks and now it's a mess. :D Dandy Dave!

TEXRIV - Hey Don,

OK, so you're staying home today --

I guess that really will affect the Superbowl Hoopla.

Seriously, love the picture of the Pierce.

The front blew through Lafayette, LA while I was there this morning, and the temp. dropped from 68 to about 40 in what seemed like minutes. Heavy rain for a short time, and CNN-HLN really played it up

Still no snow, but maybe fulrries Thursday night --- kids can't wait !!

We have been reduced to two to four inches today. Had about six inches yesterday. Not the Whopper of a storm (12 to 20) they were calling for, but a sloppy mess anyway.

It's Official. No Shadow for ol Punxsutawney Phil. It's going to be an early spring. :D Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

We have been reduced to two to four inches today. Had about six inches yesterday. Not the Whopper of a storm (12 to 20) they were calling for, but a sloppy mess anyway...

Rain hitting frozen ground here in Stony Creek, CT this morning, making for instant ice skating rink.

...It's Official. No Shadow for ol Punxsutawney Phil. It's going to be an early spring. :D Dandy Dave!

I'm definitely digging that G.H. Day report, Dandy Dave!!!

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

We lucked out - depending on your point of view, I guess - and got about 8-9" between yesterday and today. Today's storm fizzled out pretty quickly this afternoon. Most all businesses closed at noon thinking the worst was yet to hit but by the time I finished clearing the yard at 4:00PM, blue sky was peaking through off to the west. Certainly not the 16-20" forecast.

Bill noticed this morning that we have daffodil shoots coming up out of the ground about an inch or more for some. :eek:

Last year they came up about four inches and then got covered in a soft fluffy snow that insulated them from the cold and we had a bumper crop of beautiful daffodils and jonquils of many colors and types. :)

Guest windjamer
:D Hey Marty, picture in the morning paper here in good old Binghamton NY shows a whoooooole bunch of ice cicles hanging from a big old oak tree in lafayette LA. Haint dat bout a hunard miles fum ya-all?:eek: