Parting '89 Silver/Grey w/Sunroof

Rawja

Just bought another Reatta. $ 500.00

Screenshot2010-11-27at52510AM.png

Buick : Reatta - eBay (item 180592503121 end time Dec-02-10 21:26:29 PST)

I dunno, saw it did a quick mental calculation and figured it was a no-lose proposition, worst case part it out to ebay and at a minimum break even.

Went and picked up the car yesterday, nice fella (never been here on the forums) he bought the car for the windshield needed on his '90 coupe and broke it trying to get it out. The only item he ended up taking off the car was the hood ornament. Floors are wet from water leaking around compromised windshield seal, car has 160K miles. Paint is rough but there's no significant rust to speak of top or bottom, according to AutoCheck the car has not lived in areas subject to significant corrosion. Leather on the 16-ways is in fine shape, coupla of the power adjustments are inop, headlight linkages are shot, driver's window needs to be helped up.

Car starts right up, suspension feels tight, brakes feel good, seems like a solid solid car that with some attention could be brought up to snuff.

Mind you the above impressions are based on an extremely limited going over at pick-up and then in the dark a five hundred foot drive up my driveway, I'll be diving into details once I've had my coffee and gird and dress for my cold cold garage...

So I'm $ 500.00 into her, figure $ 650 including gas, tolls and trailer rental.

I'm looking at paint, windshield, rims/tires and a bunch of sweat equity for a nice driver, I've got most of what'd be needed parts-wise from parting my old '89 a coupla years ago.

Emotionally as a Reattaphile I'd like to "save" it, but monetarily does it make sense??

650 base cost

1200 paint

500 windshield (assuming I get lucky)

400 rims and tires (again assuming I can snatch something cheap)

500 miscellaneous ??

3,250 minimum cost

Looking around on ebay even if I write the world's greatest ad copy it would be a struggle to make it to break-even, no?

Just that it seems to be a sweet little car with lots of potential....

I need an intervention. :eek:

Edited by Rawja
Change in Puropse (see edit history)

Here's pics:

Sunroof works, does not appear to be any corrosion on the underside.

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

Superficial rust nothing significant (at least to my Northeasterner-POV)

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

Engine compartment pretty clean and tidy:

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

Wheels need replacement or serious refinishing, tires are garbage.

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Forum wouldn't allow more than 20 pics... more to follow.

Paint and lenses pretty badly oxidized...

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

Interior in pretty good shape looks like it would clean-up pretty nicely...

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

Like I said, I'm a bit of a hoarder, so I have plenty of pieces..... :)

IMG_2341.jpg

This car from a few years ago keeps running through my mind, picture it with a dark tint on the windows and maybe body color mouldings...

89silver_Medium.jpg

Nice find Rawja. It looks too nice for a parts car. Wash the car with "Soft Scrub" and see what the paint really looks like. When cleaned up it might not look all that bad. I don't see any dents or deep scratches in the photos.

If it runs and stops good it's worth putting a windshield and a few other parts in it and making a daily driver for someone.

Guest 89Reatta

I'm fairly new here and to the world of Reattas but it looks to me like it has potential and you certainly got a fairly low price point for entry. I say try to save it!

It is interesting the advt said "no rust". While I agree there is "no significant rust" it still needs a few days underneath with wire brush and rustolium. It does look like it would make a nice driver with about a grand invested - hard part is the windshield but it does have 16 ways and working sunroof and that makes it worth while.

Suspect this is another example of what in a few years will be a "remember when...".

It's the Yankee equivalent of "no rust". I'm quite happy with the seller's description.. Actually if the car was in worse shape it would make my situation a bit easier... I'm genuinely torn about its fate.

Clearcoat is completely gone from hood and tops of fenders, car has maybe 4-5 dings half the size of dimes and a coupla minor scratches. Interior color is gray I could tell that from the ad, PO was probably blue-green color blind, it's the most common type of color blindness and I see color misdescriptions like that all the time, car with black roof is not this car just an idea I have floating around in my head if I do paint her.

I've hit the carpet with my Little Green Clean Machine and it's passable now, will need to hit it a few more times. Car idles much smoother than my "minty" '88. Oil pressure sender is wonky, fixed the trunk popper thingy, paired an old keyless entry remote to it, sprayed lithium grease in the sunroof tracks, pulled back the trunk linings and toweled off all the condensation inside of trunk.

She's now airing out with everything open in the driveway. Hopefully she's water-tight now and it's just a matter of time 'till everything will be bone-dry.

It does look like it would make a nice driver with about a grand invested - hard part is the windshield but it does have 16 ways and working sunroof and that makes it worth while.

Suspect this is another example of what in a few years will be a "remember when...".

I dunno about a grand invested... even not counting the value of all the pieces and parts I have laying around since that wouldn't be "out of pocket" so to speak, I think the numbers I floated earlier are perhaps a bit too optimistic... though I'm perfection-obsessed which prolly hurts the math. The math for parting her works out pretty favorably though and that's the conundrum.

This will definitely be one of those "remember when?" things (for me at least) but given that this is the sixth car in my fleet somethings gotta give, I can't afford to insure yet another one not to mention I've got no more indoor storage and the winter is just about here now.

I bought a very nice windshield for $100.00 and paid a shop $100.00 to install it. You have a lot of the parts. Paint job $1200.00 [Macco is running a "black Friday" special]. You may not make money, but I bet you won't lose on it either, especially with a working sunroof and 16 way seats...

Guest Double M

You are my Hero. An awesome find. I too almost bought a parts car for $500, but I had to let it go. With the limited number of Reattas out there, and some ending up as parts cars, this seems to "speed up" the process of lowering the existing number Reattas that will be left and therefore raising their value even higher.

Scoot On...

Guest Kitskaboodle

I'd be doing the same thing as you but I cannot.

The difference is I have nowhere to put the thing!

If I buy one more car the neighbors are going to be coming over

with pitchforks and torches! :(

Kit

I'd be doing the same thing as you but I cannot.

The difference is I have nowhere to put the thing!

If I buy one more car the neighbors are going to be coming over

with pitchforks and torches! :(

Kit

Rule #743 with the Reatta:

"When you're out of room for more, sell a Fiero" ;)

"One nice one of each" was my goal. Unfortunately it has been exceeded. Is partly a matter of how many cars can you drive ? Unlike Susan I cannot put one on each foot.

Will admit that while I really like my 86 GT, it has a four speed & always wanted a five. OTOH it is only driven around to so what the heck...

I've thought about it long and hard and parts it is. I'm presently unemployed and cannot justify "investing" in something with little hope for a return. Gonna try to salvage the carpet and a couple of odds and ends for my '88, otherwise everything else reasonably easily removal and in good condition is going on eBay.

PM me if you're looking for anything in particular...

Roger: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I just received your info from the seller in CT and now see your posting here on the forum....This was MY Reatta until 2006 when I sold it to a soldier in Havelock, NC... actually he purchased it while he was in Iraq still on active duty and I held it for him until he returned home from duty. He evidently took it with him to CT afterwards. When I sold this car it was in next to perfect condition and was always garage kept and Buick Dealer maintained in Charlotte @ Folger Buick and I used to show twice a year at the Food Lion Auto Show here @ Charlotte Motor speedway and a few times in a local show in Lenoir. I even actually contacted the soldier that I sold it to over a year ago and asked if he was looking to sell it and he would consider it but then I lost contact with him.. until now I finally see my old Reatta here again. <o:p></o:p>

BOY, a bit of a shadow if what she used to look like and... Is that rust that I see??? AAHHHHHH I did not even try to drive this car in the rain...what has happened in just a few short years? I guess the salt in CT has done something BUT it has only been 4 years max...? It MUST ONLY be surface; I did not have a speck of rust anywhere. <o:p></o:p>

Other than my shock as disappointment at some of the pictures my old Reatta still looks like a gem in the ruff and a survivor and as you mentioned runs smooth as new still. <o:p></o:p>

As a sentimental value this car is priceless as I remember taking my daughter at a young age for short drives and he being so excited to ride in " the special car" to weekend getaways with the wife to Charleston, SC to showing off my Reatta at the car shows while speaking with folks all about the unique qualities of the timeless classic. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Here are a few pictures of my a few short years ago Reatta.<o:p></o:p>

I'll be in touch.<o:p></o:p>

• 3 months later...
Guest breather

Hi,

I noticed you had a few rear parts with the B-U-I-C-K letters on them. Would you be willing to sell me a "K"

from one of em? Let me know. My e-mail is jonca55@yahoo.com

Thank you,

John (breather)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geokirk

What condition are the leather seats and upper dah vinyl and metal dash or its clips that hold it down? How much for those? How much forsunroof? How much to ship to Chicago? Or just rive the whole thing? I am serious.

All-

The silver '89 is not presently in my possession. I will regain access to it in the next few weeks and will be able to deal with part requests then.

In other news, I picked up an early '88 on Saturday (also in silver) that I've begun to disassemble. :rolleyes:

192135_1675279840681_1198004430_31423037_4878736_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steveskyhawk

Juddev

I have the latches you need in the color you need. Take a look at my eBay store. (Link below)