55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

On 4/2/2023 at 3:01 PM, Mudbone said:

It looks like Fusick has them also. Including the correct glove box lock.

Resistance should be 1.4-1.6 ohms per shop manual specs.  Check the values, the replacements run high in my experience between 1.8-2.2 ohms.  Potential to lower primary voltage and cause a weak spark when the generating system goes into discharge, especially hot idle in drive, aggravated when loads are on like headlights and fans.  Try it and see first as all the other replacement parts exceeding spec tolerances  these days may compensate. If you get a replacement that has the (nichrome?) wire exposed in back vs encased in ceramic, trimming off about 1/4 inch of length will bring it into spec. Verify with a meter.   

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is out of order but I just wanted everyone to know I have scheduled YouTube uploads of the Dynaflow rebuild. I wanted to put them all in order and do some more editing but I do not have the time. I have scheduled uploads through august. (One or two videos a day) Not in order. Some of these have been up for some time. Most have not. These were done about 12 years ago so I may not be able to answer any questions. I followed the service manual and I had some service bulletins. Click on the Youtube link and you should be able to see the play list.  Be Nice…….

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

How are you @Mudbone?  I viewed all of the dynaflow rebuild videos that you posted so far.  You mentioned lightly hitting the gasket surfaces with a flat file to knock off the high spots to help prevent/minimize leaks. Is there any reason why someone couldn't just take it to a machine shop and deck the surfaces just enough to make true?  Or are the tolerances for fit on this transmission just too tight to make this a viable option?  Thank you.

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)

I suspect the high spots typically aren't bad enough to warrant the effort and expense for machining the surface.  Run a large flat file longitudinally along each side of the pan rail and any high spots (such as surrounding the threaded pan bolt holes) should be readily visible.  Probably doesn't take much effort to knock-down those high spots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Buick Saturday! I am finally getting back to Project 66R after cleaning up after the Burnt Buick. I have a little more organizing to do but I have a question about this dash trim piece. (Glove Box) The photo shows the trim piece that appears to be covered with rubber. (One Bid) Does anybody have a photo of what it is supposed to look like? This one is very deteriorated. I have the metal clip.

20240210_101011.jpg

20240210_101019.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

I have no direct experience but I would also say lithium grease as long as there is another seal to prevent engine bay heat and fumes from entering the column.

Yes, they have a felt seal on the inner tube.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mudbone said:

I have given this a lot of thought and I decided to change the color on Project 66R…….

What do you think?

yellow022.jpg

I love your change of colors,

I will be over to help you do the color change APRIL FOOLS

Bob

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2024 at 8:01 AM, Mudbone said:

I have given this a lot of thought and I decided to change the color on Project 66R…….

What do you think?

yellow022.jpg

Looks like I am the butt-end of this April fools joke...20190327_220814.png.ad367ed622ca2af31a17578134511c3d.png

• Haha 2