55 Century 66R Project

Mudbone

Mud

That's a bummer about the pistons/bores, since the available pistons at least from Egge are a compromise. They list the same piston for 54 and 55 which will give you a cranking compression of 120# vs 160# from stock 55 pistons...this will get you back to 200 hp vs 236 hp. Sure, you can use regular gas, cruise all day at 70 mph getting 15 mpg vs 17 mpg. But the "seat of pants" zip of stock 55 will not be there. I have stock pistons in 2 of my 322's and one with Egge pistons and there is a very discernible difference in performance. If you do end up with Egge pistons and don't balance the whole assembly, be sure to at least match the pistons, which in my case were way off. Also, check that all pistons are the same size before installing the connecting rods. A set of 0.030" oversize that I received from Egge had one 0.040" oversize in the box.

In the past 1956 Buick pistons have been used (1956 Buick Performance Parts) with 1955 heads resulting in even higher compression, but I have no idea what the available 56 pistons are like. And I heard of one case where this trick was used and the pistons hit the head.

Save at least one of your stock pistons and attach it and your replacement to the same wrist pin to see what the differences are.

Happy Shopping!

Willie

So what your saying is that you can not get .030 over pistons with the same compression ratio? Mud

Yes, that is apparent from the ones I bought from Egge. Russel Martin at Centerville Auto sells nailhead pistons on ebay and has a contact phone where you can call and a least ask some questions. I also ordered pistons from Terrill Machine and they did not look like originals so I sent them back. I will try to post a picture of the difference between an Egge piston and a NORS piston from when these cars were contemporary.

Willie

Shown is a NORS piston on the left and the Egge piston on the right; both hanging on the same wrist pin with a straight edge on top. There is a 5/64 drill on top of the right piston. Sleeves are a possibility, but it is 8 places for something to go wrong. I guess the bores are not usable with just honing even using moly rings which will conform to taper and out of round?

Willie

post-30648-143138833893_thumb.jpg

I thought the different compression ratios of 322's with Dynaflow and standard shift was due to thickness of the head gasket. The 264's actually had different piston dome heights between Dynaflow and standard shift. Standard shift 322's used .045 thk headgaskets while Dynaflow 322's used .015 gaskets. Reason I remember this is I have been looking for some .045's to use with a supercharger.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Mud

9.0:1 is what the service manual says and that should give you 170# cranking compression. 9.0:1 is what Egge said their pistons were and I get only 120#, and of course they are not as tall as stock. It is a big hassle, but you could order sets from Egge, Kanter, Martin, compare to your stock piston and send back what you don't want. I did that with a set from Terrill which had a smaller surface area dome. It is just too much trouble and expense to change after installed and you don't need the aggravation of finding out that it is not performing up to snuff.

Willie

Mud

9.0:1 is what the service manual says and that should give you 170# cranking compression. 9.0:1 is what Egge said their pistons were and I get only 120#, and of course they are not as tall as stock. It is a big hassle, but you could order sets from Egge, Kanter, Martin, compare to your stock piston and send back what you don't want. I did that with a set from Terrill which had a smaller surface area dome. It is just too much trouble and expense to change after installed and you don't need the aggravation of finding out that it is not performing up to snuff.

Willie

Thanks for all your input. At least I have an idea of what is going on in the aftermarket world. Mud

Just from his eBay listings (and I have never dealt with him directly), he seems to know what he is talking about. This seems to add to that.
I have dealt with Russell (his shop is local to me) and I will vouch for his knowledge of all things Nailhead. Stand up guy, and makes no bones about "doing it right" versus what other non-Nailhead shops may do, and will explain in depth the where and why of things. Mention freeze plugs to him and stand back for a 30 minute dissertation ...

Budd

I have dealt with Russell (his shop is local to me) and I will vouch for his knowledge of all things Nailhead. Stand up guy, and makes no bones about "doing it right" versus what other non-Nailhead shops may do, and will explain in depth the where and why of things. Mention freeze plugs to him and stand back for a 30 minute dissertation ...

Budd

I found out what you meant. When I called him, I didn’t get a chance to talk for about 10 minutes. I think we are on the same page about doing it right. He told me every variation of the nail head from 53 to 56. I found out I have an early 55. I gave him my piston casting numbers and he will get back to me. With out this forum I may have screwed up my engine. Thanks, guys! Mud ;)

He told me every variation of the nail head from 53 to 56.

I hope you took notes...there will be questions to answer soon.

With out this forum I may have screwed up my engine. Thanks, guys! Mud ;)

Don't worry, there are still plenty of ways to screw it up. Such as cam bearings: they can be put in wrong, especially the front. Also after installed the cam will not fit. Nobody does align honing like the service manual says, because they are all different sizes. Ask Russel Martin how to deal with this problem. I have had some reamed using an old camshaft and some that the cam journals were turned to fit....serviceable but not ideal.

Willie

Yep...it was the very same comment that made me ask my engine builder to check the cover. He had the same comments. The mesh was replaced and all looks good...I haven't started the motor yet so all the pit falls of a Nailhead has me concerned.

Thanks for the video...the info here is amazing.

Guest Rob McDonald

I'd forgotten about those greasy old pot scrubbers in the valley cover venting. It was a long time ago that I worked on mine but I think Buick had redesigned the piece by '57. I don't remember having to drill out any spot welds to get at this mess. Either that, or I didn't tackle this problem and am just imagining that I did.

These looong-term projects do have their special challenges...

I finally finished the valley cover. I had trouble finding the mesh I needed. I ended up using the outer mesh of a humidifier filter and removing the paper portion of it. It’s not very pretty but very functional. (I also made a video of it if anyone is interested) Thanks to Willie for pioneering this repair. Mud

post-50945-14313887101_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138871027_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138871037_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138871049_thumb.jpg

post-50945-14313887106_thumb.jpg

Mud

Thanks for the kind words... and as a token of my appreciation, I shamelessly linked the video on my web page.:D

If I had a spot welder like yours I would have put more in mine also. I put in the minimum to lessen the chances of blowing holes in the cover.:(

Willie

As testament to the fact that the factory didn't put ENOUGH tack wells on theirs, the junkyard 53 Roadmaster Will and I parted out last week was probably a victim of just that fact. Upon pulling the rocker covers and valley pan, I found that front short piece laying in the valley with dents around the edges from apparentyly getting caught between the valves and the sidewall or maybe even the lifters. I suspect it was making a pretty good racket while running.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Mud

Willie

I received the pistons today. I am not happy at all. The piston dome is totally different and there is no way these will provide 9-1 compression. Mud

The pistons measure

from left to right. Old: 2.195 New: 1.600

Front To Rear Old: 3.550 New: 3.310

Valve Relief Cut Old: Level with top of piston New: .155 Deep

post-50945-143138877252_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138877266_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138877277_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138877287_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138877297_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143138877308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mudbone (see edit history)

I received the pistons today from Russell Martin. I am not happy at all. The piston dome is totally different and there is no way these will provide 9-1 compression. They are a joke.

Mud

Is there any difference when you hang them both on the same wrist pin? Those look like the ones I ordered from Terrill Machine ( and sent back ).

Willie

I received a call from the machine shop today. They said it would take at least .030 oversize to clean up the block. (They will do a rough cut and call me) And they will have to go .010 under on the crank. He said whomever did the engine work last time cut the ridge too deep with the ridge reamer. (That is why I thought it was in pretty good shape as there was no ring ridge) Ca-ching $$$$$$ Mud :(

When my engine was rebuilt the bore was set .030 over. Runs like a champ. Love your thread. :)

• 2 weeks later...
That Buick engine color, where did you get it?

I got if from Bill Hirsch http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART

I was a little concerned about the color when I first opened the can, but after spraying a test part it looks real good. The can says you can spray it without thinning, but it is way too thick. It says you can use any good enamel or lacquer thinner to reduce it. I chose xylol. I thinned it 5 –1 and it when on real smooth with my conventional touch up gun. (I used DP50LF epoxy primer for the base) Mud