2012 Grand National Show?

Guest B Rose

I'm trying to make show plans for my 69 El Camino, I recently finished. I received my GN senior for my 68 Chevelle in New Bern, and now I want to take the El Camino thru the process as well. I've searched the AACA site and the forums, and I'm still not sure if we know for sure where and when the Grand National show will be in 2012. Anyone know yet?? I've read about it possibly being in Tenn. Anyone?

Here's a shot of the car after a 2 year restoration.

DSC_0057.jpg

Edited by B Rose (see edit history)

Thanks Bob. We always attend the Chevelle show in Goodlettsville, Tn, and it's usually the 2nd week in June, so the timing sounds perfect. I really didn't want to do that 14 hour drive twice. Thanks again, Bill Rose

Thanks for the info. I did go to the calendar on the site. The most I could find was show dates thru 2011. Is there somewhere on the aaca site that goes into 2012?

• 3 weeks later...

Any hints for preparing for a GN type show? My Vette got it's Senior Tab at Hershey in 2009, and while I never thought it was at the level of a GN car, the more I am encouraged by others I may give it a try.

So, I suppose my questions are...is a Grand National invitation only or do you apply just like any other meet? Is the judging process the same as going for the other awards? (I am guessing the answers are just like the others.)

I expect that GN would require me to take it up a notch and be super critical. The car IS nice, and would probably score well at NCRS, but it has a replacement block which kills it in those circles.

Any hints for preparing for a GN type show? My Vette got it's Senior Tab at Hershey in 2009, and while I never thought it was at the level of a GN car, the more I am encouraged by others.

Nope, just bring out your car and have it at its' best. I'm hoping that you didn't bring your car out for anything less than its' best. If you have your Senior, you need to have your car at least at a 380, but the challenge comes because you have to be within 5 points of the best car in your class rather than 10 points. This is what makes a 1st Grand National hard.
So, I suppose my questions are...is a Grand National invitation only or do you apply just like any other meet? Is the judging process the same as going for the other awards? (I am guessing the answers are just like the others.)

No the Grand National is NOT by invitation. The only stipulation in order to enter a car into a Grand National Meet is that your vehicle has to have won its' Senior Award a minimum of one calendar year prior.

Other than requiring a higher score to win a Senior Grand National Award, and the 5 point spread required between your car and the best car in your class, nothing else really changes. Your car will be judged the same, it's just at a Grand National Meet, that meet only comes once a year, it jumps the Mississippi every year, and there's no HPOF or DPC classes.

The beauty of winning a First Grand National?? It means the end of the line for your vehicle. Once you win your First Grand National Award with your vehicle, you'll never have to worry about competition ever again. At that point all you'll ever have to do is bring your car to a meet and have enough points to win your award.

The only stipulation in order to enter a car into a Grand National Meet is that your vehicle has to have won its' Senior Award a minimum of one calendar year prior.

As of today, I have no AACA awards for my El Camino, since I just finished it recently.

If I understand this correctly, in order to try for the Grand National In Shelbyville Tenn, in June of 2012, I have until Dec 31st 2011 to get the Junior and Senior award? That being a calendar year.

I don't have to have the Junior and Senior awards one fiscal year before the Shelbyville, Tenn, which would be June of 2011....Correct?

If thats the case, that would make my life a lot easier this summer!!

If I understand this correctly, in order to try for the Grand National In Shelbyville Tenn, in June of 2012, I have until Dec 31st 2011 to get the Junior and Senior award? That being a calendar year.
Yes, and a word to the wise, bring the car (or truck being an El Camino) out early in the year, and try to get it out to every show that you can.

In 2004 the Grand National came to nearby Buffalo, NY. We wanted to bring our woodie wagon to Buffalo, so in order to achieve that we decided to bring the car to the meet in Carlisle, Metropolis and Hershey. As fate would have it, we didn't win a First Junior in Carlisle, so between Metropolis and Hershey we were able to get our Senior Award.

Do yourself a favor, try to get your Junior and Senior as early as you can so if you don't get your awards right away, you'll have a few more chances late in the year to correct your vehicle and be able to still score your awards. Had we not nailed our Senior down in Hershey, we would've been out business for the Buffalo AGNM.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with your vehicle, but in the event there is, you'll want the time to make the corrections, yet still have time to win your awards before Hershey. With registration of Hershey closing by mid August, you only have about 12 weeks from the meet in Charlotte until registration closes for Hershey. That isn't a lot of time. With competition in Hershey being as tough as it often is, you don't want to be going in to Hershey trying to win your Senior.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

Yes, and a word to the wise, bring the car (or truck being an El Camino) out early in the year, and try to get it out to every show that you can.

Thanks for additional info. The problem I'm going to have, is there are no shows anywhere in my area (NJ) that I can find, for 69's. I went thru the whole schedule, and the only show that are for the newer cars are in southern N. Carolina (10hrs) and the one I'm planning to attend in Vermont.

I had my El Camino at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals, in Chicago, and it scored 996 out of 1000, so I think the AACA judges will also like the work I've done. If I can get to other shows I will, but it's unlikely, because there's no shows on the east coast, except Hershey,and Stowe VT, unless there's some list of shows I'm missing?

This car was junk when I got it.

100_1403.jpg

I have not followed this thread in detail, but it seems to me you have Stowe in May and Hershey in fall, 2011, and if you get 1st Junior at Stowe and Senior in Hershey, I think you should be set for Grand National in 2012, wherever it is. If you miss 1st Jr. at Stowe then you will need to look elsewhere if you still want to make 2012

Also not sure what you have said about age. Best I know all AACA meets are all years (subject to class age) inclusive. AACA Tours are by specific age of vehicles.

John

John, the GN show in 2012 is just south of Nashville in Shelbyville, Tenn in mid June, and we will be at our annual Chevellabration show, that same week in Nashvile. So our plan, for a group of us Chevelle owners, is to do the 14 hour drive to Nashville, and attend both shows. This is why I'm trying to rush the Junior and senior awards along. I've been working on the car and the show plans for 3 years to try and pull this off. Thanks again for all the advise... Bill

Here's the schedule I'm looking at:

4-5 - Homestead, FL, - AACA Winter Meet - Mel Mann, Chairman - melmann54@aol.com Click here for meet brochure

10-12 - San Juan, PR - AACA Special Spring Meet - Pedro J. Soldevila - pksoldevela@hotmail.com Click here for meet brochure

19 - Naples, FL - Naples-Marco Island Region's 23rd Annual Depot Meet - 10th St. & 5th Ave. S., Naples, FL 8 am to 4 pm. Contact: Gary Doner - 239-597-4822; gdoner4822@comcast.net or Stan Goodman - 239-992-4928; cottagstan@yahoo.com

April 2011

7-10 - Charlotte, NC - AACA Southeastern Spring Meet - Mel Carson - melcarsonhnr@windstream.com

17-22 - Lake Mary, FL - AACA Founders Tour (1932-1986 vehicles) - sponsored by AACA Florida Region - 407-327-0740

May 2011

1-4 - Wilmington, NC - Southeastern Divisional Tour (1986 and earlier) - sponsored by AACA Cape Fear Chapter - 910-343-1330

6-7 - Frederick, MD - 16th All-Packard Swap Meet & Packard Car Show, at American Legion Post and Hampton Inn, Opossumtown Pike, off US 15. Admission is free. Sponsored by Packard Club Regions Mid Atlantic Packards & Packards Virginia. Contact: Keith Vail, (301) 515-1728, keithrvail@gmail.com for information.

19-21 - Stowe, VT - AACA Eastern Spring Meet - sponsored by AACA Green Mountain Region - 802-496-5097

June 2011

9-11 - Detroit Lakes, MN - AACA Central Spring Meet - sponsored by AACA 412 Lakes Chapter - contact Meet Chairman Orlo Gilbert at 218-841-1866; 218-847-1415

July 2011

24-29 - N. Central PA - Lower NY - AACA Special Vintage Tour (pre-1938) - sponsored by AACA Susquehannock Region - 570-368-2570

August 2011

11-13 - Bristol, TN - AACA Southeastern Fall Meet - sponsored by AACA Appalachian Region - 423-217-1201

24-28 -Santa Rosa, CA - AACA Annual Grand National and Western Fall Dual Meets - sponsored by AACA Redwood Empire Region - 707-539-6073

September 2011

8-10 - Chicagoland, IL - AACA Central Fall Meet - sponsored by AACA Illinois Region - 708-485-3633

18-24 - Cumberland, MD - AAA Revival Glidden Tour (pre-1943 vehicles) - sponsored by AACA Queen City Region - 301-729-1653

October 2011

5-8 - Hershey, PA - AACA Eastern Fall Meet - sponsored by the AACA Hershey Region - 717-566-7720

Here's the schedule I'm looking at:

4-5 - Homestead, FL, - AACA Winter Meet - Mel Mann, Chairman - melmann54@aol.com Click here for meet brochure

10-12 - San Juan, PR - AACA Special Spring Meet - Pedro J. Soldevila - pksoldevela@hotmail.com Click here for meet brochure

April 2011

7-10 - Charlotte, NC - AACA Southeastern Spring Meet - Mel Carson - melcarsonhnr@windstream.com

May 2011

19-21 - Stowe, VT - AACA Eastern Spring Meet - sponsored by AACA Green Mountain Region - 802-496-5097

June 2011

9-11 - Detroit Lakes, MN - AACA Central Spring Meet - sponsored by AACA 412 Lakes Chapter - contact Meet Chairman Orlo Gilbert at 218-841-1866; 218-847-1415

11-13 - Bristol, TN - AACA Southeastern Fall Meet - sponsored by AACA Appalachian Region - 423-217-1201

24-28 -Santa Rosa, CA - AACA Annual Grand National and Western Fall Dual Meets - sponsored by AACA Redwood Empire Region - 707-539-6073

September 2011

8-10 - Chicagoland, IL - AACA Central Fall Meet - sponsored by AACA Illinois Region - 708-485-3633

October 2011

5-8 - Hershey, PA - AACA Eastern Fall Meet - sponsored by the AACA Hershey Region - 717-566-7720

Okay, the items that I quoted are the only places where you will be able to get your First Junior and your Senior. I would recommend that you don't wait until Hershey to get your Senior. It isn't that Hershey is a bad place (I love it), but if you don't make it at Hershey, you will be out of business for the 2012 AGNM.

Another word to the wise??

Being that you live in Jersey, try to attend the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia. You don't need to go to the banquets, but it will give you a chance to go to Judging School, and attend seminars. This is your best place to learn the rules, meet other judges and ask questions. If you get in touch with your local AACA region, there may be folks in that area who may have judging experience who can look over your car. Being from Jersey, three guys who may be close enough to help you is Joe Vicini, Dave Zimmerman and Fred Young. Joe is a GM guy, but maybe Dave or Fred may be closer to home and can give you advice.

Prior to restoring our fire truck, I got into judging fire trucks. I took that knowledge, applied it to our work and this year we won a Senior AGNM Award with that same fire truck. It's difficult to do it with a car, so to do it with a fire truck, it's even harder. The bottom line is that by applying what I learned, I picked up a lot of things that you'll never see in a rulebook and you'll be more aware of what is right, what is wrong, what you should look for, and how you correct the problems.

I apologize if I'm being pushy, but if you want your Senior Award, I want to help you get it. As Terry Bond had said to the judges from time to time "You're not there to take the awards away" but the more you can learn, the better off you'll be. You want to roll that car onto the showfield and be 'the ringer' and not be the victim of a ringer. I've been there, and I'm only trying to ease your pain.

.....As Terry Bond had said to the judges from time to time "You're not there to take the awards away" but the more you can learn, the better off you'll be. .....

But as any experienced judge, like ex98thdrill is, will tell you we also are not there to give awards to unworthy vehicles. We want to reward the efforts of the owners that present vehicles that are as correct as possible.

Please, please don't give away so much as one point away by thinking that point won't matter. It very well might take you outside of the points required for the award you are seeking.

I'm pretty familiar with the AACA judging process. I went thru the entire process with my 68 Chevelle. I got the junior in Hershey one year, and the senior the next year, Then I was lucky enough to have the Grand National in Dover DE, only 2 hrs away. Then this year, I got the Grand National senior, in New Bern. So I have a pretty good understanding of what the judges are looking for. I do everything I can to make the cars factory correct, just for my own satisfaction too. When I take the car to a show, like most AACA folks, it's as ready as humanly possible. Thats what I like about AACA, and especially the GN events. Every car is top notch.

I'm pretty familiar with the AACA judging process. I went thru the entire process with my 68 Chevelle. I got the junior in Hershey one year, and the senior the next year, Then I was lucky enough to have the Grand National in Dover DE, only 2 hrs away. Then this year, I got the Grand National senior, in New Bern. So I have a pretty good understanding of what the judges are looking for. I do everything I can to make the cars factory correct, just for my own satisfaction too. When I take the car to a show, like most AACA folks, it's as ready as humanly possible. Thats what I like about AACA, and especially the GN events. Every car is top notch.
That's good.

Not knowing someone's background, a lot of times you get people come on that ask questions that aren't even AACA members, and sometimes you get people who offer advice that don't have a clue about anything that is done with AACA.

Of course I'll try to explain things in terms that a novice can understand in the event that they're not AACA members and they want to join.

I still would try to get your Senior in before Hershey. By doing that, it gives you a chance to recover from a bad meet. Getting a Senior at Hershey can sometimes be as tough or tougher than winning at an AGNM.

If you were at New Bern, I'm the one who had the old fire truck from Canandaigua, NY. We hauled that all the way down to New Bern on an open trailer and couldn't clean the truck until we got down there. Once we arrived, it was HOT, and that truck takes a lot of wax.

I lucked out because the 2004 Grand National Meet at Buffalo, N.Y. and the 2006 Grand National Meet at Dover, Del. were equidistant from my home base! I was fortunate to have gotten both my Junior & Senior awards at each respectively. Your orange El Camino looks great. What's the name of Chevy orange anyway? My Olds Cutlass is called Flame Orange. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a National this year.

post-50838-14313836724_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Beautiful Cutlass.

My sister had a similar color 72 Malibu with a white interior. Of course, she always let me drive it...AFTER I CLEANED the aforementioned white guts.

It was a very attractive color I must add...a bit out of the mainstream but when it was clean it was stunning.

• 2 months later...
Guest Rob J
I lucked out because the 2004 Grand National Meet at Buffalo, N.Y. and the 2006 Grand National Meet at Dover, Del. were equidistant from my home base! I was fortunate to have gotten both my Junior & Senior awards at each respectively. Your orange El Camino looks great. What's the name of Chevy orange anyway? My Olds Cutlass is called Flame Orange. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a National this year.

Wow, that is a sweet looking Cutlass!!!