Tucker #1010 is going to auction !

Guest TuckerFan48

I was telling me dad about these comments regarding Tuckers here on the AACA website. He mentioned he looked at one here in the Seattle area, actually White Center a suburb of Seattle, back in the early 50s. It was for sale on a car dealer's lot. He thinks it was a silver blue color, but maybe wrong in the exact color after all this was many years ago. He looked at buying it, but bought a used Cadillac instead. A few years later the Cadillac was stolen, but recovered in eastern Washington where it was abandoned after running out of gas! Wonder if the Tucker could have made it that far?

The car dealer went on to sell Volkswagens, and in fact my wife bought a new 1976 Sirocco from him. This dealership is no longer in business.

Guest TuckerFan48
There was another Tucker at the Pioneer Museum near Rapid City, SD. Any idea what happened to that one?

That was Tucker #1031. The car was originally owned by Vera Tucker, Preston Tucker's wife, and is painted in her favorite Waltz Blue color. The car has very low miles and is in excellent condition. It was sold by Mrs. Tucker in 1962 to the Busker family in South Dakota. They owned the car until just recently when it was sold to a private collector in California.

Guest TuckerFan48
I was telling me dad about these comments regarding Tuckers here on the AACA website. He mentioned he looked at one here in the Seattle area, actually White Center a suburb of Seattle, back in the early 50s. It was for sale on a car dealer's lot. He thinks it was a silver blue color, but maybe wrong in the exact color after all this was many years ago. He looked at buying it, but bought a used Cadillac instead. A few years later the Cadillac was stolen, but recovered in eastern Washington where it was abandoned after running out of gas! Wonder if the Tucker could have made it that far?

The car dealer went on to sell Volkswagens, and in fact my wife bought a new 1976 Sirocco from him. This dealership is no longer in business.

Great story! Can you give a few more details about this dealer? Name, location, etc.?

Maybe you can pin down the date a little closer. (What year was the Cadillac and when was it stolen?).

There was a car out that way for a short time. If it is the same car it is still roadworthy today so it certainly would have made it to Eastern Washington. Most likely it would have gone a lot farther than the Cadillac as a Tucker, even at well over 3,000 pounds, will get 20+ MPG. Not bad for a 1948 automobile.

Of course as far as resale, That Tucker is worth somewhere around $750,000 to $1,000,000 dollars today. I don't think the Cadillac is in that range.

Even Tucker #1010 still sold for around $350,000 in its present condition.

The Tucker at Walter Bellm's "Cars and Music Of Yesteryear " in Sarasota, FL was Tucker #1045. The car that was recently sold for $1,127,500 at auction. Bellm sold it in October of 1987. I am unaware of a second Tucker at Bellm's. I would love to hear more about it. (color, condition, year seen, photos, etc.)

The car at the AACA Hershey Meets in the 70s was #1008 which belonged to Les Sheaffer at the time. #1008 was shown in Hershey in 1976 & 1977. He sold #1008 to the Imperial Palace in the late 70s. Sheaffer later owned Tucker #1044.

What names are listed for the two Tuckers in the AACA Winners Book?

I was at the museum in the 80's and remember that the Tucker was green. Could this be the 2nd Tucker referred to or has #1045 been repainted with a color change?

Guest TuckerFan48

Tucker #1045 was a blue green, almost a Turquoise color while Bellm owned it. Would this fit with what you saw? Bellm never painted #1045.

Guest Silverghost

The Tucker 1010 in the first post was supposedly bought for $350K. by a speculator who is going to Flip-It in the Feb AZ auction~

Do you really think he can get more at auction in Feb As-Is without totally restoring it ??

Or will he get burned ; or go back home with this car going unsold ?

If he is using the B~J Auction all cars sell at no reserve !

The total restoration cost would be extremely high because of it present very poor overall condition!

It is heaviy rusted underneath and is a unibody car that was sitting in a damp wet garage with a dirt floor.

These high Tucker prices seem insane to me !

I have been around car collecting all my life ~ 55 years !

Never saw prices very high on Tuckers at all until the movie hype~

Then the speculators moved-in like the guy who bought the rough unrestored #1010 here.

Like others have already stated~

You could buy a great Model "J" Duesenberg for the price of some restored or original Tuckers today !

What will #1010 bring at auction unrestored ?

What are your thoughts ?

Let's see who gets closest to the actual selling price including auction house "buyer's premium".

I won't venture to take a guess~

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest South_paw

Hi All,

I've been all over life photo's since they hit google a few years back and found the Tucker factory pictures back then. Today in another search for pics I tripped over these shots on Life photos of Tuckers that I haven't seen before. How about you guys?

024c7c4f5b27e3d8_landing

2d006a1fb4f7fc38_landing

4fa0a558613769b9_landing

42a983d93f908c1d_landing

9005e4d58bf6b3f6_landing

ce722b5090c58b49_landing

Guest TuckerFan48

These have been around awhile now but still great shots. They were taken when they bought documents to the court house. There are at least 6 cars there that day. There are some other photos taken by different people of this same event that have popped up over the years as well.

You are most likely looking at Tuckers #1005, 1011, 1030, 1032, 1034, and 1039. I have no idea what order they are parked in.

Edited by TuckerFan48 (see edit history)

Guest South_paw

Thanks! This whole grouping of pictures remind me of the movie, right after the trial. They come out of the courtroom to the street and the actor says "look, they love the cars"

Here's a few more

88eeffcf35065aa5_landing

88b636686a61789d_landing

b7e741da29dbc949_landing

7106fd38d55ebca2_landing

c909c5f2513b8d28_landing

Guest billybird
While we're on this subject, I might as well ask this question. Circa 1980-1985, I was just getting my "feet wet" in the old car hobby and had never even heard of a Tucker at that time. I was looking through a auto publication and there was a section where people could send in a picture of a vehicle and have it identified. A guy sent in a picture he had taken of a car in a "barn". They identified it as a 1948 Tucker. I remenber because the picture was of the front and three headlights caught my attention. Does anyone remember the publication? Which Tucker it could have been? After this thread now I wonder if it was this very car that is going to auction. I wish now I had saved the publication, but it didn't mean anything to me then.

??? anyone? TuckerFan48?

The Tucker at Walter Bellm's "Cars and Music Of Yesteryear " in Sarasota, FL was Tucker #1045. The car that was recently sold for $1,127,500 at auction. Bellm sold it in October of 1987. I am unaware of a second Tucker at Bellm's. I would love to hear more about it. (color, condition, year seen, photos, etc.)

The car at the AACA Hershey Meets in the 70s was #1008 which belonged to Les Sheaffer at the time. #1008 was shown in Hershey in 1976 & 1977. He sold #1008 to the Imperial Palace in the late 70s. Sheaffer later owned Tucker #1044.

What names are listed for the two Tuckers in the AACA Winners Book?

There was a Tucker there in 1989 when I visited Bellm's Museum. Dandy Dave!

I again spoke to my dad tonight about the Tucker he passed on in the early 50's. As I said he bought a used Cadillac instead. I mentioned the dealer became a Volkswagen dealer in White Center, (south of Seattle). The owner of the dealership was a man named Max Borgerson. Dad doesn't remember the name of the dealership before he sold VWs. The Cadillac dad bought was a 1950 four door sedan. As I mentioned it was stolen and recovered in eastern WA. The thiefs had used it until it ran out of gas. They did no damage to it, and my parents continued to drive it for many years after getting it back. I agree the value of the Tucker compared to the Cadillac isn't comparible in today's dollars, but back then the cars were being sold for almost the same amount. Go figure!

Guest Silverghost

Tuckers in the past never sold for really that much money, nor did they have a big following in the car collector community until after all the Hollywood hype of the Tucker movie.

Early-on in in the car hobby they were considered merely an oddball car; an automotive failure & a small footnote in car history.

Just like the DeLorean or Amphicar .

Hollywood Hype created these sky-high unrealistic crazy Tucker prices we are seeing today~

I suspect the latest Tucker Convertible find "Scam" was only designed to $$$ cash-in Big-time on all this hype~

If it were in fact REAL ~

Why would it's owners not allow the Tucker Society Club to inspect & possibly give it their certification ! There is no official record of any Tucker convertible ever having been designed or built !

This is just a fact~

Guest TuckerFan48
I again spoke to my dad tonight about the Tucker he passed on in the early 50's. As I said he bought a used Cadillac instead. I mentioned the dealer became a Volkswagen dealer in White Center, (south of Seattle). The owner of the dealership was a man named Max Borgerson. Dad doesn't remember the name of the dealership before he sold VWs. The Cadillac dad bought was a 1950 four door sedan. As I mentioned it was stolen and recovered in eastern WA. The thiefs had used it until it ran out of gas. They did no damage to it, and my parents continued to drive it for many years after getting it back. I agree the value of the Tucker compared to the Cadillac isn't comparible in today's dollars, but back then the cars were being sold for almost the same amount. Go figure!

Ok, I'll quiz you some more on this one and maybe it will lead to something. You mentioned Dad buying a used 1950 Cadillac. Any idea how old the Cadillac was when he bought it? This would help us pin down a date. I'm not expecting an exact date but if it was a 2 year old car or a 10 year old car. We can narrow down the window this car was there.

I'll guess that the Cadillac was at least a year or two old putting it into 1951 or 52. That eliminates Tucker #1019 which left the Seattle area in late 1950.

The only other Tucker I know of in that area was #1010 which arrived in 1957 and was promptly locked away for 50+ years.

It would be interesting to find out more about this Tucker near White Center.

Guest TuckerFan48
Remember that, for the movie,they hung some tucker fiberglass skins on a bullet=nose Studebaker to replicate the prototype rollover scene.

And a fine Tucker it was

attachment.php?attachmentid=72081&d=1292133593

attachment.php?attachmentid=72082&d=1292133593

attachment.php?attachmentid=72083&d=1292133593

post-69396-14313837435_thumb.jpg

post-69396-143138374606_thumb.jpg

post-69396-143138374613_thumb.jpg

Guest Silverghost

Since this put-together roll-over car was actually IN the movie it should sell for at least $ 2 Million at auction should it not ? ;-)

Now if that "Dealer" could only get his "Tucker Convertible" in a movie he might actually get his $5 Million asking price !

I can see it now~~~

Comming soon to a theater near you~~~

Tucker II ~~ ~The "Lost Tucker Convertible" story .

Someone call Jeff Bridges !

Sadly today car collecting for some has become all about the hype and making BIG $$$ Money at car auctions.

It's no longer the true love of the cars themselves ~~~

These speculators and "flippers" spoil the hobby for the REAL car lovers !

Guest Silverghost

When I was at Walter Bellm's Car & Mechanical Music museum many years ago he in fact had TWO Tuckers. One was complete & running~ The other was in rougher shape and missing bumpers and other exterior trim . They were sitting side by side !

This was in the late 60s or very early 70s ~

Walter brought in a dealer some years back to sell-off some cars and Mechanical Music Machines~~~

Now that Walter has just passed-away we will have to see what becomes of the Museum Collection.

Guest TuckerFan48
When I was at Walter Bellm's Car & Mechanical Music museum many years ago he in fact had TWO Tuckers. One was complete & running~ The other was in rougher shape and missing bumpers and other exterior trim . They were sitting side by side !

This was in the late 60s or very early 70s ~

Walter brought in a dealer some years back to sell-off some cars and Mechanical Music Machines~~~

Now that Walter has just passed-away we will have to see what becomes of the Museum Collection.

I'll follow up and see what I can find about a second Tucker there. I wonder if it could have been on loan to him.

The information I had was that Bellm sold the Museum and auto collection to Martin Godbey in July of 1997.

Remember that, for the movie,they hung some tucker fiberglass skins on a bullet=nose Studebaker to replicate the prototype rollover scene.

I'm surprised that fiberglass panels wouldn't disintegrate in a roll-over impact. In the photos it appears that they are steel but I would think the cost of making one set of steel body panels would be outrageous.

Guest TuckerFan48

They just added some metal pieces to certain areas of the car to make it look like a Tucker. It is only in a movie for a couple seconds as it rolls over. If you watch it closely you see it clearly isn't a Tucker but most people miss it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tucker Fan 48
Ok, I'll quiz you some more on this one and maybe it will lead to something. You mentioned Dad buying a used 1950 Cadillac. Any idea how old the Cadillac was when he bought it? This would help us pin down a date. I'm not expecting an exact date but if it was a 2 year old car or a 10 year old car. We can narrow down the window this car was there.

I'll guess that the Cadillac was at least a year or two old putting it into 1951 or 52. That eliminates Tucker #1019 which left the Seattle area in late 1950.

The only other Tucker I know of in that area was #1010 which arrived in 1957 and was promptly locked away for 50+ years.

It would be interesting to find out more about this Tucker near White Center.

There does not seem to be many commercial areas in White Center. Any chance you can pin down where, or the general area, of White Center (i.e. 16th Ave SW, etc,)

I just spoke to my mother about the Cadillac. She doesn't remember exactly when they bought it, and it might have been in 1950. It was a used car when it was bought. Both of my parents are 84 years old, and things are a little fuzzy after all those years. She did say dad had left the keys in while it was parked in their driveway! They did get it back and continued to drive it for a couple of years after that.

The car dealer was located on 16th SW. I think it was about the 9000 block. When they sold VWs, it was called, "Avalon Auto Sales". The owner was Max Borland, (sp?)

UPDATE!!!! I was just getting ready to send this when my mom called and said the story was wrong. Yes dad had looked at the Tucker at the dealer on 16th SW, but hadn't bought the Cadillac until 1952. In fact between the time he looked at the Tucker, probably in 1950, and when he bought the Cad in 1952, he had purchased a brand new 1951 Kaiser from another car dealer in White Center, but they were located on 17th Ave SW. It seems my dad went through a lot of cars back then. He was born in 1926, so he was in his mid 20s when all of this was going on. My parents celebrated their 66 wedding anniversary this past November. Dad has had a lot of cars over the years. We never counted how many, but I suspect it would be well over 100 by now, probably close to 150! His buying has slowed down the past few years. In fact his last purchase was a 2007 GMC Denali. It still has less than 1000 miles on it.

I suspect the White Center Tucker was number 1019, and when dad looked at it, it was in 1949 or 1950. Thanks for your interest, and for causing my parents to make a pleasant trip down "memory land".

Fifty years of Tacoma area weather has not been kind to the car as it has lots of surface rust. Like many cars it is missing its Tucker hubcaps.

Great stories! TuckerFan48 you should change your name to Tucker Guru-you have an amazing wealth of knowledge on these vehicles.

A couple questions: 1) Aren't those hubcaps in the trunk of #1010? (Or just not the originals?)

2) Which Tucker does the San Diego Automotive museum have?

3) Is it my imagination or do I remember seeing #1001 or #1002 in a museum somewhere?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Silverghost

Was the #1010 Tucker sold in un-restored condition for that price ?

If so~~~

Wait until they find out what the needed restoration will cost them with all that under-car unibody rust !