1923 Disc wheels

oldcar

As Those that are following my thread on "Our cars & Restorations" will tell you my 1923 Single Six Coupe is fitted with 23 inch disc wheels. These are the five bolt variety which quite obviously from the difficulty I am having finding a fifth wheel now extremely rare. To help me narrow the search can someone tell me which years the Single six was supplied with these wheels as optional equipment? Better still if you just happen to have one lurking unloved and unwanted in your shed PLEASE send me a P.M.

Thank You

Bernie J.

post-51681-143138329086_thumb.jpg

Bernie

It was 1923 and 1924, but I think they were standard, not optional. The Standard Catalog is confusing in that in one series it says disc standard, and in another series wood standard, and yet a third it says wood and disc. Perhaps it was just buyer's choice as opposed to an option, which one normally thinks of as having to pay extra.

It may be hard to find the disc because so many people have opted to restore their cars with the wood ??? Just guessing... there may be plenty of wheels available, just in the hands of people not reading where you have placed your ads.

Hi West

As I suspect that you already know by watching my "Our Cars & Restoration Projects" thread that I have also bought a full set of instruments including the hard to find Waltham clock from the same vendor. It appears that he has a real Aladin's cave of pre-war, teens and 1920s Packard parts. I have already passed on his contact details to two or three other "Nickel era" Packard owners.

Bernie J.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hello Louis

I am sorry if you look at the date of my last post on this thread you will see that it was almost 7 years ago, it is a long time since I sold my Packard. May I suggest that you start a new thread on "Our Cars & Restoration Projects so people will know about your Packard. That way you will reach people who may be able to help you. You need to be patient and it will require some (lots) of effort on your part. 

If you look you will find that I currently have two threads one in Our Cars etc etc 1912 Humber and one under British cars about my Lagonda Rapier. I actually live in Australia and I don't expect to find very much for either the Humber or the Lagonda on the Forum but I have over the years made lots of friends and it is a wonderful way to stay in touch. Have a look at the Humber thread and what I am starting with. Added to that I really do not know how much time I have, I turned 80 last November.

Good hunting

Bernie j.

5899400aca656_Packard6.thumb.jpeg.4539c9e813df0bcf6f1b98efd90cbb13.jpeg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I have six of these wheels and 4 lock rings if you need more. They are 23" in diameter and have a 6" center hole with 5 lugs and are made by Firestone. 4 are in pretty good shape but the last two have rotten rims with good centers. I wasn't sure if they were even for a Packard. See link below for some pictures.

Contact me at tfee16811 at gmail dot com if you could use them. Love to see them with someone that has a need for them.

Todd

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19041&forum=1

Edited by tfee (see edit history)