1963 Olds Jetfire Re-restoration- Turbo charged/Fluid injection

These are a set of photos from 1985 just before I sold it!!!!

I am going to need parts!!!

Wanted: 1962/63 Olds Jetfire 215 Alum V8 parts:

Turbo, carb, intake & exhaust manifolds, Air cleaner, Turbo fluid tank, 4 speed parts: bell housing, flywheel, pedals, T-10 trans, mint or NOS Die cast trim for sale email me back..

JETFIRE30029-1.jpg

JETFIRE20028-1.jpg

Found!? (2009)

DSC01352.jpg

OK the deal is done. I have seen and purchased my old Jetfire back!! Should have it in the driveway next Sunday. The car is much worse than I thought. The garage roof had a 12" hole over the windshield. All the die cast trim needs to be replaced. Interior better than expected. All Jetfire parts under the hood in place. Engine turned over by hand. No keys or brakes!! I will attach a few photos.

Ken

DSC04666.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

DSC04672.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

1963 Jetfire

The windshield frame is installed & inner fender well repaired. I will keep you update on progress. Car starts and drives. Should get the winshield installed in the next few weeks.

jetfire10-13-10003.jpg

jetfire10-13-10002.jpg

Edited by kid442 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Not made too much progress but still finding parts. WTony patched the floor and welded the 4-speed hump in. Dad and I converted the car from auto and bolted the hump in 1982. WTony also installed a new rocker panel. Still more to go but we are closer. Back to working on the W30. I also found a photo of my dad guiding the 215 with the 4 speed trans attached.

JETFIRE40035.jpg

63jetfirepatch1.jpg

63jetfirerocker1.jpg

63jetfirerocker.jpg

• 6 months later...

Been working on the 69 W30 project this summer. Just a little late was going to put the 63 Jetfire in the garage when Sandy came along. We are way better off than some but this is a real bummer. Dent in the roof at the windshield. Not sure how bad but bent the frame. I will post more tonight.

Ken

sandy1.jpg

sandy2.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK! Sandy is gone!!!

My Insurance Co totaled the car. I was able to keep the car by buying it back. I was happy with the settlement from Hagerty and they were very nice to work with! WTony had some time so the car is in the body shop. The roof is repaired and stripped, and primed. I have a few photos to post more to come.

Ken

2013-01-07_12-27-47_197_zpsdaebdcb7.jpg

2013-01-06_13-41-03_577_zps63f59f73.jpg

2013-01-06_13-40-17_452_zpsbde4ecfb.jpg

Steve - per Oldsmobile V8 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turbo Jetfire In 1962 and 1963 Oldsmobile built a turbocharged version of the 215. The small-diameter Garrett T5 turbocharger with integral wastegate was manufactured by Garrett AiResearch and produced a maximum of 5 psi (34 kPa) boost at 2200 rpm. The engine had 10.25:1 compression and a single-barrel carburetor. It was rated at 215 hp (160 kW) at 4600 rpm and 300 lb·ft (410 N·m) at 3200 rpm. In development, the high compression ratio created a serious problem with spark knock on hard throttle applications, which led Olds to use a novel water-injection system that sprayed metered amounts of distilled water and methyl alcohol (dubbed "Turbo-Rocket Fluid") into the intake manifold air-stream to cool the intake charge. If the fluid reservoir was empty, a complex double-float and valve assembly in the Turbo-Rocket Fluid path would set a second butterfly (positioned between the throttle butterfly and the turbocharger) into the closed position, limiting the amount of boost pressure. Unfortunately, many customers did not keep the reservoir filled, or had mechanical problems with the turbocharger system which resulted in many of the turbo-charger installations being removed and a conventional 4 barrel carburetor and manifold installed in its place.

I was curious too!

Chuck

Larry,

Water will work fine. Windshield fluid also. The original was water & alcohol. The alcohol is to keep it from freezing.

Thanks for all the replys!

Ken

That makes sense. I didn't know that was all the ingredients. I wonder what the cost of it was, being a dealer item? I'm sure windshield washer fluid would be more cost-effective!

• 6 months later...

I'm enjoying this thread. I hope you find what you need and complete the resto soon. I love Jetfires and Starfires. Keep the updates coming. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A quick update. Just got the doors and trunk back from the body shop. Took a lot longer than expected. Had to scrap the doors on the car. They are primed and the jams painted the color of the car. Replaced the lower glass channel and the vent window rubber. Everything is installed and ready for the car. Will try and get the other door assembled and ready for the car. By then it should be done snowing!! See the photo below.

Ken

63jetfirerhdoor_zps808b00d4.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Jeffz

Ken,

Hope things are going well for you. I meant to tell you months ago that I met a guy during Jan. (auction month in AZ) at our local hangout who had a completely original Jetfire. It was beige with matching interior. It was the first one I had seen in person, and I was smitten. It looked like a well kept 10 year old car. Of course, he didn't want to sell it. He lives out here in the Phoenix metro area, but the car came from NY. I did ask him about spare parts for you, but no luck, he had bought the car in its present condition.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jeffz,

Thanks for the post and info. If you ever come across him again tell him there is a web site oldsjetfire.com and he should register on it. We are trying to get all jetfire owners to join. This helps when parts need to be reproduced. More owners and parts sold lower price. Thank you again!

Ken

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just retired and moved to Maryland. I have a lot more time to work on the car. Just pulled the motor. Have both doors installed. Been stripping parts, bead blasting and getting things painted and detailed. Finished painting the engine compartment. Painted the floors on the inside and seam sealed them. Now to the underside. A few photos below. More to follow.

IMG_20140919_115414_zps8b94c571.jpg

Engine compartment painted

IMG_20140919_113459_zps78e1f03c.jpg

Floors seam sealed and painted.

Just catching up with some photos. Door are on and the trunk lid. Starting to shape up. Been striping parts, bead blasting and painting for the last 3 weeks. Seam sealed the floor from the top and bottom. Undercoated half the floor today. Running out of warm weather to paint. Next thing on the list is to install the windshield. Soon to the engine to clean it up and install some new gaskets. Still a lot to do.

Ken

DSC05643_zpsf29fe69e.jpg

DSC05642_zps6ace2948.jpg

DSC05645_zps8b0446f5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Things are starting to slow down with winter coming. Cleaning the engine and re-gasket the intake manifold, and the painted the oil pan. All bolts and hardware coated. Just locating parts and bead blasting parts.

Always looking for parts and cars! Need a 1961, 1962, and 1963 Olds Cutlass, F85 or Buick Special Skylark!!

Thanks,

Ken

kid442w30@yahoo.com

jetfireeng-1_zps46fa011a.jpg

jetfireeng-2_zps42dda55d.jpg

jetfireeng-3_zps27c83e1c.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Is that a tach drive coming off the oil filter housing? Never knew about the angle plug heads, either. What a great engine.

• 8 months later...
First update in about 9 months. Was a very long winter for me but been working real hard this spring and through a very hot summer. The photos do not look like much was done but took a lot to gt to this point. Every time I think I have everything cleaned bead blasted and painted I find more. The engine is installed as well as the bell housing, flywheel, clutch assembly and trans. I have the clutch linkage, bell crank, and pedals. Have the Hurst shifter installed. Also installed the heater core and blower motor. Stripped a fuel pump bolt hole last week. Installed two helicoils and re-assembled the front cover to the engine. Installed power steering and alternator brackets. Next on the list is the wiring harness. I should have more photos soon.

Ken 

jetfire%20engine%2011_zpshnr7erdj.jpg

jetfire%20engine%2010_zpsso8hfbzk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...