Sign in to follow this  
Bill Clark

Hershey 2010 Feedback

Sorry Pat, I believe you are wrong on this one! This event is unique to our club as it is a fixture and of course it is a NATIONAL meet (and of course by far our largest). It is not about putting myself down or anyone else. The club needs more national publicity and we all know we can do better. You have to be accountable and I am sure our board would agree with me that we can do a better job. The Hershey Region has far more work than any other national meet and also does not have the reach we do with national publications. This one is our duty and one we try every year to get better at. Heck, we even had a year where Antiques Roadshow visited and filmed...a lot goes on that reaches different segments.

:)Friends when I said advertisment I was not talking about spending bo-ko maga bucks on T.V. ads or even a giant bill board. THE BEST advertisement imho is word of mouth. Its 9 oclock,dont ask if you know where your kid is, ask him if he got his membership card. The hitch on my truck has the AACA logo stuck in it when not towing. I have had people ask me about it,perfect time to BRAG about our club. The next time my small trl. hits the road both sides and back will have our logo on it. Wayne recruted new members this year just by being in a booth at the swap meet,set up a table at your next show and have someone knowlgable talk to the folks that stop by. When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it,his (DRs) are so old they vote.:D Steve is right, if each one of us recrute just one member a year the clube will double each year.:D

Sorry Pat, I believe you are wrong on this one! This event is unique to our club as it is a fixture and of course it is a NATIONAL meet (and of course by far our largest). It is not about putting myself down or anyone else. The club needs more national publicity and we all know we can do better. You have to be accountable and I am sure our board would agree with me that we can do a better job. The Hershey Region has far more work than any other national meet and also does not have the reach we do with national publications. This one is our duty and one we try every year to get better at. Heck, we even had a year where Antiques Roadshow visited and filmed...a lot goes on that reaches different segments.
But I am right in saying that you work too hard.

.....When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it,his (DRs) are so old they vote.:D Steve is right, if each one of us recrute just one member a year the clube will double each year.:D

Great idea wj. :) I am going to start leaving the magazines in places where folks will have access to them when we are done with them.

And thanks to the free memberships our Region was given I was able to get two new members into the National this year from right here on the forums. Hopefully they will rejoin for 2011....and beyond. :)

:)set up a table at your next show and have someone knowlgable talk to the folks that stop by. When your done with your outstanding Antique Auto mag. dont stick it in a pile in the back room,pass it on to a friend that is not a member. Leave it in your Drs. wateing room. I promiss Folks will read it.....

Another great idea, Dick, is to buy those AACA window stickers and put them on each antique car. They are small and unobtrusive. Also, have those National and Regional applications in each vehicle.

At our last regional meeting, I showed a small business card from another region that can be handy when you see an antique car you do not recognize. Stick one under their windshield wiper, unless its raining.:o

Wear your club colors when you are traveling in your antique car.

Be proactive! :D

Wayne

.....At our last regional meeting, I showed a small business card from another region that can be handy when you see an antique car you do not recognize. Stick one under their windshield wiper, unless its raining.:o .....Wayne

This we should think twice about. It might be counter productive as many folks do not want others touching their vehicles and some wipers are fragile and hard to replace.

My version of this is to have business cards available. Just walk up to the old car and hang around for a few minutes and the owner will more than likely show up. Usually most antique car owners tend to keep an eye on their car when it is out it public.

My version of this is to have business cards available. Just walk up to the old car and hang around for a few minutes and the owner will more than likely show up. Usually most antique car owners tend to keep an eye on their car when it is out it public.
We get enough attention with our vehicles where we usually sell the club when they come to look at one of our cars.

I work in advertising and always try and put in plug for the Hershey show at my newspaper and area newspapers here in New Jersey. I even have a link to the AACA page on my website! Imagine if everyone did that - it costs nothing and might increase awareness and memberships.

My two cents worth, never cut back on the swap meet field, work around it, and good riiddens to the old yellow field, the horror stories too. i can remeber the green field having the farmer pulling people out, I was luck I had a 4 wheel drive that year. if was fun in an odd sort of way trumping in the mud, as Hershey is always first come first service. but he second time around there alway more to see. 22 miles for one pass through. It could healthy exercise, and the most i get all year. I even trained for a few weeks.

I do wish the dust could be reduced on the show field. It was from the fresh crushed stone on the drive. It got everywhere on and in my car. Well, at least it beats mud!

If it had not been watered down well enough, or at all, long before any vehicles being driven on it then you are correct it will get everywhere and then is hard to remove. And some rock just keeps breaking down into dust and the problem just never seems to end no matter how many times it is drenched.

Until the rock was changed in the turn out area where one of my horses is he looked like Pig Pen from the Peanuts cartoons. He would lay down in that rock dust, roll and then stand up and shake and there was this cloud of dust that sifted off of him every time. :eek:

So I feel your pain on having to get rock dust out of the nooks and crannys of your vehicle. :(

Well this year 3 generations of my family went to hershey, my dad who is 75, who bought himself a new car 2 years ago ( 1927 Star ) my self, and my son who is 18.. and we had a great time, Even if the weather gods where not being too helpfull the first day,, but Muddle through it.. My son is going throught for auto body in school now, and the class was told at the begining of the not to take any time out of the course.. he asked the instructor about taking the week off to go to Hershey.. The instructor told him to go, and have fun,,

I went down in 2003 with a dear friend of mine who showed me around town, sadly he passed away last year of cancer,, In 2009 my dad asked me about going, and figured i had to take him, figured dont know how many more times we can do it , but we went back again this year , with more of the family, and got my 18 year old involved, and now he wants to go back again soon.. <<<< KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK >>>

They probably need to run a water truck, like the ones used to water down dirt tracks, through at least a day or two before the meet to rinse any dust away from the gravel.

Certain gravel types have dust that sticks like glue if it isn't rinsed away after it is delivered and spread out.

Edited by Shop Rat
type-o (see edit history)

Susan, I would not worry about it too much. This has already been disccussed at length. It was just broght back to the top by a spammer who posted by copying an earlier post and reposting it as a new response along with his website links in his signature. The Moderators have now deleted the spammer. If you want to see the previous discussion, go back and re-read this entire discussion from page 1.