Sign in to follow this  
Bill Clark

Hershey 2010 Feedback

This year I dragged along a friend for a few of days of Hershey. Although he's been going to shows all over the east for years he had never made the pilgrimage to Hershey. He commented that he had never seen a show as big as this that was as well organized and so entertaining. I have to agree. This was a great show from every angle.

Last year I had a little problem with a U turn and made a suggestion that would fix the problem. I'm sure others had the same idea. I noticed Saturday that an improvement had been made and cars could easily get from the Chocolate field to the show.

We got there late enough Thursday that we had to park our trailers up the street in a bit of a mud hole. When I went back, there was a tractor posted on the field in the event that someone got bogged down. I went back later with my show car to drop junk off in the trailer and one of the volunteers gave me a ride in his golf cart so I did not have to take my car into the mud.

One of the great marks of an organization is recognizing problems and promptly making improvements. Awesome show. The people of the Hershey Region should be very proud.

Bill

One of the great marks of an organization is recognizing problems and promptly making improvements. Awesome show. The people of the Hershey Region should be very proud.

Bill

You're very right, but understand that the Hershey Region has put on a national meet since 1955. That's 55 years!!

All kidding aside, the best way to put on a good meet is to attend other meets. There will be things that you like, and there will be things that you won't like, you will remember what you like and dislike, and the best thing you can do is apply what you liked, and discard what you didn't like.

To the credit of Bill Boudway, I have not been to a meet since Louisville where the national anthem wasn't played prior to the start of the meet. Obviously what Bill did at our meet, everyone else must've liked.

..........the only thing is that no one has sung that national anthem as good as the girl that Bill rounded up, and when you add that 30' flag, it made it even better.

From a personal standpoint, I'm proud to have been involved with doing something that others have adopted at their meets too. That act alone could go on to be a legacy of GVACS.

My one complaint is the lack of communication on the Hershey Fall Meet 'page' is the statement that there is no DPC / show car parking on Thursday or Friday. I even called ahead and was told my DPC car is welcome friday, but never told I would be stuck parking in the dirty field across the street. I was really upset. I guess this was supposed to be common knowledge!!!

Yea I'll be back next year, great show, on Saturday !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Having been a Meet Chairman for about 5 National Meets, there are always a few new problems that have to be solved for each meet. But, you solve them and move on. The Hershey Region has been putting on the Fall Meet for many years, and it's the biggest and most complicated of all National Meets. As far as I'm concerned, they just continue to get better and better. I came the first time in 1970, and I've had to miss a few years. But, I have been at more than I can count.

Congratulations Hershey Region on another SUPER job!

Best wishes,

Art Griffin

Cape Canaveral Region

First year vending ,a hands up to all involved.A show and meet of that size is awsome..Where in any city could you hold such a great event.Many thanks to all the folks involved

i have a really bad back that makes wallkimg the swap meet impossible. therefore i usually only do 1/2 day on friday and then show on saturday. combine that with a 350 mile drive and then parking my car in a hay field on friday it made me decide the last 2 years to stay home. i greatly doubt i will ever be there again.

Hershey isn't for everyone. This was our 43rd year in the flea market and it has been interesting to see the changes over the years but at its core Hershey is always Hershey and I hope never to miss it until I slough off this mortal coil. I noticed more young people and talked to many folks this year who were new or relatively new to the hobby, an encouraging sign. Just got a call yesterday from a fellow looking for parts. He picked up our card at Hershey sometime prior to 1990 judging by the long since obsolete Rural Delivery Address. Happily we were able to help him.

I also noticed lots of young people throughout the week. even the membership booths that I worked at had new young people joining our club. Seemed like everyone had a smile on their face.

I can relate to Ted's back issue. When I arrived at the show field the first time, I had to climb some long steps to get onto the green field. I immediately said to myself that I will get exercise next year, one week prior to my trip to Hershey.:rolleyes:

Darn computers! Makes one lazy!:)

Wayne

Hi,

We should be announcing the no smoking rule for the showfield.

I observed several folks smoking and reminded them.

Been going to Hershey for many years and never knew this was a rule? Don't ever remember ever seeing a sign or a reminder in the registration paperwork?

Hi,

We should be announcing the no smoking rule for the showfield.

I observed several folks smoking and reminded them.

When did "no smoking" start and is that just pertaining to Hershey?

I had not heard of that rule either. But then neither Bill nor I have ever smoked so it wouldn't apply to us anyway.

At $42.99 a carton :eek: here for Marlboros it is not a habit I would want to spend my money on. I want crab cakes, perogies and a Special Dark hot fudge sundae at Hershey. **drool** :D

I do wish the dust could be reduced on the show field. It was from the fresh crushed stone on the drive. It got everywhere on and in my car. Well, at least it beats mud!

Phil

I do wish the dust could be reduced on the show field. It was from the fresh crushed stone on the drive. It got everywhere on and in my car. Well, at least it beats mud!

Phil

Hi, Phil.

What do you suggest to reduce it with over 1200 cars showing? Oil on chipped stone drives is illegal. Water would of course create mud.

Had so much fun at Hershey that dusting off my car yesterday reminded me of a great time.

Attended a local region meet 4 weeks ago held in a town park. At one point it reminded me of Lawrence of Arabia with high winds blowing dust. Again, had a very nice time with over 500 cars in attendance...dusted it off and went to Hershey. The hobby is alive and well!

Peter J.

Maybe I'm the only one bothered by the dust (not that it would keep me away!). It does get into every square inch of the car. However, there are a few ways to control it, if anyone is interested:

Dust: Don't Eat It! Control It!

Dusty driveway

Perhaps water sprinkled onto the stone would be simplest. That wouldn't create any mud. Just a thought!

Phil

FYI, earlier in the week the road bed was watered. The heat and all the traffic did kick up a lot of dust. Hard to get everything perfect but at least the dust cleans! I had mud from one show in the South a year later. No matter what I did it kept reapparearing on my chassis.

I still remember the spongey & soaking wet "Cow Pasture" days of Hershey !

Most of you new-folks to

the Hershey Show event would never believe what we had to work with in those days !

There were "Cow Pies" all over the fields !

REALLY !!

And the little old airport where small planes would fly low overhead all day long !

I must sound like an "Old Timer"?

I'm only 55 !

This Hershey show sure has come a long way since I was first there in 1955 !

In those days we had more than a little stone dust to contend with !

I'd bet it will also be paved in the near future !

Steve will have to add paving the stone drive to his "Wish List" to give to the HERCO folks !

A little dust is no real issue ...

The RAIN IS !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

I had mud from one show in the South a year later. No matter what I did it kept reapparearing on my chassis.

Yes, and Huntington Riverfront Park would like for you to please return the real estate that you stole. River front property ain't cheap you know. :D

I miss the little airport. Once, maybe 35 years ago, I flew my two kids into that strip in a rented Cessna, walked across the street to see the show, and flew back. On the way to Hershey, I called flight service to tell the folks where I was going. Half the western world was calling flight service, doing the same. The FAA guy on the ground said: "What's going on in Hershey?"

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ