License Plate Requirements at Hershey

MochetVelo

I just got my car running and want to bring it to the show field at Hershey, but don't have enough time to get plates for it. Am I out of luck? I was thinking, perhaps, that if the drive onto the field is just through private property I could get away without plates.

Phil

Hey Phil,Go EARLY :eek:[in the dark] :eek:unload there must be an area close to the show field so you don't have to drive on the highway.Have a buddy take the trailer and tow car to the parking area and you can stay with your car and field :confused:ANY:confused: questions.Just ACT like you own the place......:)ALWAYS works for me.:) diz

Edited by DizzyDale (see edit history)

Phil

Do you have everything you need to get is registered and legal? Proof of insurance and bill of sale or title?

The PennDOT headquarters is just off of I-83 in Harrisburg, which is approximately 20-25 minutes from the show. If you are going to be in Hershey Thursday or Friday, going to PennDOT and making it legal would be another option.

You will also need photos front, back, left and right sides.

It took me 30 minutes to get the title and plates for my Triumph TR4 three years ago. I bought the car out of state and only had a bill of sale; no title.

Spend 1 1/2 hours and you will be legal.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1984 BMW 633 CSi

1962 Triumph TR4

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Guest GREMLIN JOHN

I belive the "trailer lot" is just up the road from the main entrance to the Center, like D.D. said just get there , unload, and get in line, and drive in. Insurance is another story...and a valid point. :D

I have not seen a more or less "official" comment yet (they are probably quite busy getting ready), but if I recall correctly, there were several of PA finest on duty right along the road and several cars without plates were stopped. I think your AACA paperwork states that the car should be properly registered and insured, but I have not taken the time to look that up either.

Do you know anyone that can lend you a dealer plate or something with proper paperwork My opinion, you may well have a problem. You might go back and search old posts as I think there was some posts on this subjectafter Hershey 2009.

Good Luck.

John

John

Guest GREMLIN JOHN

Just thought pf something...might have more trouble leaving than ariving. Make sure you go to the"left" not the " right" . [on the 2 lane road] 'cause the "right" takes you into town the wrong way for the trailer area..Good Luck and have fun!

Been there many times to pick up an antique plate and always left with one. They are all in order number wise because I asked him to skip a few and the guy handed me the next numeric one in order and said he couldn't. Maybe she doesn't know or the rules recently changed?

Guest dorramide7
Phil

Do you have everything you need to get is registered and legal? Proof of insurance and bill of sale or title?

The PennDOT headquarters is just off of I-83 in Harrisburg, which is approximately 20-25 minutes from the show. If you are going to be in Hershey Thursday or Friday, going to PennDOT and making it legal would be another option.

You will also need photos front, back, left and right sides.

It took me 30 minutes to get the title and plates for my Triumph TR4 three years ago. I bought the car out of state and only had a bill of sale; no title.

I belive the "trailer lot" is just up the road from the main entrance to the Center, like D.D. said just get there , unload, and get in line, and drive in. Insurance is another story...and a valid point. :D

Well, we brought the car and, luckily, didn't have any problems. I actually drove to Harrisburg the day before the show to get plates, but the address I got for Penndot license services (1101 Front St.) was an apartment building. Anyway, I got a nice plate at the flea market, and drove the quarter mile from the trailer area to the show field with no problems. In fact, the security guys were very friendly. I will mail my license form Monday and be better prepared for the next show!

I thought it odd that there were only three or four trailers in the trailer parking field, and discovered after the show that it had been closed due to mud! Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Phil

I have a friend who was stopped by the "finest,", $159.50 ticket for not having a current license plate on car (he had a Virginia 1913 on the radiator, but no registration).

I understand that the law is the law, but driving a car a quarter mile to a show.....I think they're taking it a little far, and some leniency and common sense should prevail....

Naturally, the first Hershey I miss in a few decades, and it sounds like the weather and turnout was the best ever.......I'm glad for those who got to go.....and for those who helped me move a part on the field....who (whom) I'll thanks separately....

I have a friend who was stopped by the "finest,", $159.50 ticket for not having a current license plate on car (he had a Virginia 1913 on the radiator, but no registration).

I understand that the law is the law, but driving a car a quarter mile to a show.....I think they're taking it a little far, and some leniency and common sense should prevail....

From what a friend of ours told us your friend wasn't the only one. He said that there were eight or nine at least that got tickets. He said that the police were booed by the folks standing on the bridge when they started giving tickets.

From the view of the police officers the ones that got tickets were breaking the law. If they overlook the law, no matter the reason, they are not doing their job. It would be a huge headache for them if one of those folks was involved in an accident and they had looked the other way on this issue.

Maybe for the future folks that do not have their vehicles licenced for use on the road can apply to be able to unload them somewhere that they will not be driving on public roads at all.

Susan, good points. A true policeman can't have shades of gray, and it is a public road.

My buddy said that after the people booed from the bridge, the policemen proceeded to remove them all from the bridge as a viewpoint site.

Bet next year everyone will get their cars registered and licensed correctly.....

Guess I got lucky....... I have shown a car at Hershey since the early 90's and have never had a licence tag on the car. The car is registered, licenced and insured but I never show a car with the tags on it. I came under the bridge about 7:45 AM, the policeman stopped me just before the bridge, asked where the tags were, I told him that they were in the trunk, he asked why they were not on the car, I told him and he asked to see my registration and proof of insurance and these I had in the glove box so I showed them to him. I offered to put the tags on the car but he said "go ahead, just put the tags on before you leave the show field". He was very nice, even told me to have a nice day.......which I did

Susan,

With all due respect, I think most insurers and that including the umbrella for AACA, expects that any insured vehicles used on the roads and into the show field need to have proper license, registration (and inspection where necessary) to be on the roads and I believe it may be an AACA rule that the car be driven onto the show field. I think the roads immediately outside the golf course are indeed public roads that happen to be officially closed for the event.

It is another matter for vehicles that are unloaded in a holding area such as the parking lot when the auctions were inside the Giant Center, or similiar unlicenses show vehicles for an indoor arena, etc.

If permission were to be given for unloading immediately near the show field for those without plates, would not most everyone want that same treatment.

Bottom line, the individual with the plate in the trunk caught a break by a friendly law enforcement officer as I think the various state laws indicates the plate "must be displayed" while on the road.

John

Ya know, that is an interesting point. Here's a ticket for not being registered to be on public road, now, be on your way (on that same road) and here's your ticket. Hmmm.

I once was stopped in a small nearby town (Berryville Va. if you must know), known for strict police, for the lights on my car trailer not working properly (bad ground, and they were blinking.) Officer really laid into me, on and on, about how I was endangering public, people, and property, what if I caused an accident and a child was injured, on and on, I was just about speechless. Finally, I said "Officer, I'm sorry." "WHAT?" he says, "You're sorry? You're SORRY?" He stares at me. "Well," he says, "it worked for the President [Clinton], I guess it'll work for you. Get home and get the lights fixed" (and no ticket was given!)

Susan,

With all due respect, I think most insurers and that including the umbrella for AACA, expects that any insured vehicles used on the roads and into the show field need to have proper license, registration (and inspection where necessary) to be on the roads and I believe it may be an AACA rule that the car be driven onto the show field. I think the roads immediately outside the golf course are indeed public roads that happen to be officially closed for the event.

It is another matter for vehicles that are unloaded in a holding area such as the parking lot when the auctions were inside the Giant Center, or similiar unlicenses show vehicles for an indoor arena, etc.

If permission were to be given for unloading immediately near the show field for those without plates, would not most everyone want that same treatment.

Bottom line, the individual with the plate in the trunk caught a break by a friendly law enforcement officer as I think the various state laws indicates the plate "must be displayed" while on the road.

John

John,

There might be many that would like that option. Hmmm, how about we tack on a price to unload close enough to not be on a public road that is high enough to discourage folks with proper license, insurance, etc. but less than a ticket would cost for those that don't? And split the money between the Library and Research Center and the Museum? At least then the money would benefit the AACA and not the local police coffers.

I have not read this entire thread but I can tell you there is a serious effort to work out issues from this year. Last year the U-turn issue was resolved for the coming year and we have a meeting scheduled with law enforcement to discuss issues related to the fall meet this year. I can tell you that all of us locally view this seriously.

I think Susan has an excellent idea. I hope the AACA office and Hershey region can work that out. For the spring meet in New York, unloading was in a parking lot adjacent to the show field, but they still required a short drive on the "public" road (the road was by the college, so I am not sure who's road it actually was. Going back to the trailers we were allowed to stay off the road. Just some food for thought.

John

I think Susan has an excellent idea. I hope the AACA office and Hershey region can work that out. For the spring meet in New York, unloading was in a parking lot adjacent to the show field, but they still required a short drive on the "public" road (the road was by the college, so I am not sure who's road it actually was. Going back to the trailers we were allowed to stay off the road. Just some food for thought.
John,

I was the meet chairman for the meet in New York. The roadway into the college is college property and is under control of Campus Safety. During the developement stages of the meet, I had all of that clarified with the college.

Had the meet been larger, we would've put more trailers up in the upper parking lot, and I had already secured additional parking lots off site from the show field. The initial intent was to use the trailer parking for early brass cars and unregistered cars, but because we had less than 500 cars, and a lot built to store roughly 2,700 cars, we put everyone down next to the show field.

We also put judge's parking adjacent to the show field as well. Understand that my father and I have been to a lot of meets, we've shown several cars in several classes, and we've done some judging as well. In the planning process of the Canandaigua Meet, we took everything that we've liked from other meets and applied them, and everything that we didn't like at the other meets, we worked to find a solution to try to resolve them.

All of the issues of this discussion are valid, but understand that if our region had 1,300+ vehicles, things wouldn't have worked out as nice as they did. Hershey is a huge meet, but the reason it is huge is due to their hard work, and the fact that AACA is a world class organization.

Guest windjamer
:( There was a lot of comment on the towns finest?? and the invatations they gave out last year. I will be the first to say I AM A REBEL !! The AACA probably paid for a good portion of all the new development I see there in the last 14 years. IF I was responsable for bringing that kind of money to a town ( And I think the club / org. leaves millions there ) the town would show some appreciation.:D Stationed at an army camp over seas, the locals seamed to enjoy locking up the GIs for frivoless reasons. The camp comander called the local big shot and told him that because our guys cause problems he was locking the gate and would keep the GI on base. Didnt take long for a attatude ajustment.:D

Yes, Jeff we probably are somewhat a drop in the bucket but a prety important drop to their bottom line. I cannot go into anything at the moment but hope that sitting down at the table we can find solutions to the issues that affect the law enforcement officers and all of us. I believe that we can and will begin a new dialogue with our local department that will lead to a better understanding of our needs and help them to ensure public safety. AACA and HERCO are committed to this!

Steve,

It sounds like a true effort is being made to fulfill the requirements of the law, and keeping everyone as safe as is possible, and maybe be able to work out a solution for those that don't usually drive their vehicles on public roads.

Flaunting the law is not the way to go. It isn't the way to have others in the community think well of our club.

Guest windjamer

:)I am police positive, My son was a 6 year M.P. My step-son is a police Lt. my B/inlaw was a retired police capt. I do not think anyone should just ignore the law,BUT I do think special events call for a little more friendly reception, and a little less strick enforcement..:D I may not be saying it right, but I bet a week's pay Steve knows what I mean:) When a customer comes to my (Daughters) shop and drops a $1000.-$1500 for a repair I do not go out of my way to *iss him off. I say thank you sir please come back. BTW My grandson is the new police DWI Officer for our city. PLEASE DONT DRINK AND DRIVE. You cant afford it. After installing our 5th inter-lock system I know.:eek:

As a recently retired Police Lieutenant, I will just say that a little common sense goes a long way. Insurance really has to be mandatory. There is no excuse for not having Insurance on any car that is driven on public roadways.

I also think that a law enforcement officer should always enforce any statute regarding safe operation of a vehicle. However, the purpose of vehicle license plates has nothing to do with safety. The primary purpose of license plates is to combat vehicle theft.

Since every car on the showfield is pre-registered, by the individual owning it, there is not too much need for strict enforcement of registration statutes for vehicles traveling onto the showfield. I think that with a little bit of communication and common sense, it should be possible to work out a sensible resolution to this problem. I have faith that Steve, the folks at National, and the folks at the Hershey Region will be able to work it out.