Please Read - National Scrappage Program

This appears to be the first Nationwide attempt at scrapping that we have seen in a long time. Perhaps we should put a legislative alert out in the Antique Automobile or the Rummage Box or on the internet, advising our guys to start a letter-writing campaign???? I'm copying the internet committee on this, for their information. Peter, (if Pat agrees, of course) what do you think about putting a legislative alert on the website advising our membership to contact their legislators on this issue?<P>Ray Fairfield<P>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Brian Caudill [mailto:bcaudill@sema.org]<BR>Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 2:53 PM<BR>To: brianc@sema.org<BR>Subject: SEMA Action Network URGENT Federal Legislative Alert - U.S.<BR>Senate Bill Would Fund Scrappage Programs Nationwide<P><BR>URGENT FEDERAL SCRAPPAGE ALERT<P>U.S. Senate Bill Would Fund Scrappage Programs Nationwide<P> A bill (S. 1766) has been introduced in the U.S. Senate containing a provision (Section 803) that would federally fund state scrappage programs for vehicles over 15 years old. Owners who turn in vehicles for crushing would receive a ?minimal? payment and a future credit toward purchasing a newer vehicle, all in a misguided attempt to improve the overall fuel economy of the country?s vehicle fleet. This bill represents the most formidable Federal legislative threat to the vehicle hobby in many years.<P>Oppose the Use of U.S. Taxpayer Dollars for Scrappage<P>? Section 803 of S. 1766 would give states that don?t currently operate scrappage programs an extra incentive to create a program due to generous federal funding.<P>? Section 803 of S. 1766 requires that federally funded state scrappage programs crush every car. It threatens enthusiasts nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and customization projects.<P>? Section 803 of S. 1766 does not require states to determine the fuel efficiency of vehicles being scrapped or that scrapped vehicles are being replaced by more fuel-efficient vehicles.<P>? Section 803 of S. 1766 ignores the fact that cars turned in for scrappage often barely run or are rarely driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall fuel economy.<P>? Section 803 of S. 1766 will diminish the availability of affordable transportation and repair parts to low-income drivers as more and more older cars are crushed.<P>? Section 803 of S. 1766 does not guarantee that low-income individuals will be able to afford to purchase new vehicles ? let alone more fuel efficient vehicles ? with the money provided by scrappage programs. <P>? Section 803 of S. 1766 ignores more socially responsible and cost-effective policy options like voluntary vehicle repair and upgrade programs that maximize the fuel efficiency of existing vehicles. <BR>Contact Your U.S. Senators to Oppose Section 803 of S. 1766<P>Protect American vehicle enthusiasts and low-income drivers. To find out who your U.S. Senators are, call the SEMA Washington, D.C. office at 202-783-6007 or access this information via the Internet at <A HREF="http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp." TARGET=_blank>www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp.</A> For assistance in turning this alert into a letter to your Senator, consult the SEMA document "How to Lobby Elected Officials." This guide is available at <A HREF="http://www.enjoythedrive.com/san." TARGET=_blank>www.enjoythedrive.com/san.</A> <P>Please fax a copy of your letters to us at 202/783-6024 or mail to:<P>SEMA Washington Office<BR>1317 F St., NW, Ste. 500<BR>Washington, D.C. 20004<BR>Attn: Brian Caudill/ Steve McDonald<p>[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: peterg ]

I for one have written my senator on this topic before. California approached this same issue before nearly about a year ago. It did not pass their state legislator. I will be writting again to enforce my feelings on the issue at hand. I may be 19, but I always have and always will love classic cars. This is a part of America's great history; lets keep it alive!<P>Matt Coppens

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

S1766 in the Senate is sponsored by Tom Daschle D-SD<BR>co-sponsored by<BR>Daniel K. Akaka D-HI<BR>Byron L. Dorgan D-ND<BR>Tim Johnson D-SD<BR>Jeff Bingaman D-NM<BR>Ernest F. Hollings D-SC<BR>John F. Kerry D-MA<P>HR 2436 in the house is sponsored by Ken Calvert<BR>C.L. (Butch) Otter<BR>Mark E. Souder<BR>William (Mac) Thornberry<BR>Barbara Cubin<BR>John E. Peterson<BR>W.J. (Billy) Tauzin<BR>Don Young<BR> <A HREF="http://www.senate.gov" TARGET=_blank>www.senate.gov</A> or <A HREF="http://www.house.gov" TARGET=_blank>www.house.gov</A><p>[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: SalG ]

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone do me a favor... write your representatives on this... its easy, just goto the following link. It'll help you find and email them right online!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.enjoythedrive.com/legislative/contact_legislator.asp</A> <P>I send them the following message, consider doing the same.<P>-----<BR>Peter Gariepy<BR>4910 E. Bermuda<BR>Tucson, AZ 85712<P>The Honorable Virginia Yrun<BR>1700 W Washington St<BR>311 AZ State Senate - Capitol Complex<BR>Phoenix, AZ 85007-2812<P>Dear Senator Yrun:<P>A bill (S. 1766) has been introduced in the U.S. Senate containing a provision (Section 803) that would federally fund state scrappage programs for vehicles over 15 years old. Owners who turn in vehicles for crushing would receive a payment and a future credit toward purchasing a newer vehicle, all in a misguided attempt to improve the overall fuel economy of the country?s vehicle fleet. <P>I oppose S. 1766 for the following reasons: <P>Section 803 of S. 1766 would give states that don?t currently operate scrappage programs an extra incentive to create a program due to generous federal funding. <P>Section 803 of S. 1766 requires that federally funded state scrappage programs crush every car. It threatens enthusiasts nationwide with the loss of valuable parts and parts-cars for repair, restoration, and customization projects. <P>Section 803 of S. 1766 does not require states to determine the fuel efficiency of vehicles being scrapped or that scrapped vehicles are being replaced by more fuel-efficient vehicles. <P>Section 803 of S. 1766 ignores the fact that cars turned in for scrappage often barely run or are rarely driven second or third vehicles that have a minimal impact on overall fuel economy. <P>Section 803 of S. 1766 will diminish the availability of affordable transportation and repair parts to low-income drivers as more and more older cars are crushed. <P>Section 803 of S. 1766 does not guarantee that low-income individuals will be able to afford to purchase new vehicles ? let alone more fuel efficient vehicles ? with the money provided by scrappage programs. <P>Section 803 of S. 1766 ignores more socially responsible and cost-effective policy options like voluntary vehicle repair and upgrade programs that maximize the fuel efficiency of existing vehicles. <P>Instead consider going after what truly create the most pollution ? diesel powered vehicles and tools like lawn mowers and chainsaws that pollute more in an hour than a 1992 car does 650 miles of driving! See the following URL for the facts:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.airquality.org/mobile/mowdown.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.airquality.org/mobile/mowdown.htm</A> <P>Sincerely,<P>Peter Gariepy<p>[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]

Very nice letter. I sent it to all 6 of mine. (with the appropriate name changes, of course wink.gif" border="0 )<P>This has got to be one of the stupidest bills I've ever seen. Thanks for alerting us to its existence.