1940 Commander Wing Window Rubber

HELP! Did anyone ever get going on making new rubber for the 40 Commander wing windows? I NEED a set to complete a restoration. The car was finished so the original owner cold drive his car before he passed away..... But he never got to see it with the rubber in the vent windows... His widow asked me if I thought this will ever be done....

His son (not a car-guy at all) cant understand why I can not make it happen....

No news on any reproductions that I have heard about for '40 Commander/Presidents.

I have been looking at many other older cars trying to find something close to the Stude vent rubber that I might adapt but I have not found anything yet. . . .

Why don't you chat with Bill Fennessey, 615-662-5013 He advertises in Turning Wheels. Tell him you need them and ask how many other requests he needs in order to make some up. Maybe he will do it. post your need for requests here if he will do it.

Then i thought custom rubber and checked Hemmings and here is an interesting ad:

Description:

Need rubber? Cant find it? Domestic, Foreign, order a catalog: $6 within the USA, $10 to a foreign country, we manufacture and create custom made windshield, door, trunk and other weatherstrips, molded parts too, plus much more. Karr Rubber Mfg, 133 Lomita St, El Segundo, CA 90245, 310-322-1993. Advertiser Since 2004

==================

Maybe there are other custom rubber makers others here know about. Maybe the son knows someone and you can send him off on a search mission. . . . .

Best regards and post an update here if you learn anything

Henry Votel

Forest Lake, MN

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Myron McDonald had those reproduced. He mentioned that he had six done and they all sold but he is getting some more made. In my conversation with him today he said the reproductions fit well but the rubber had too much gloss to it, so he was only ranking them as an 8 on a 10 point scale. However as of this date it is the only game in town! Check your ASC roster in Missouri for his phone number.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mike Hawkins

Steele Rubber Products had them for my 37 Dictator. I would think they would have them for a 40 Commander.

• 2 years later...
Guest Robert Kapteyn
There is an ad for them by Myron McDonald in the last issue p. 27 of The Antique Studebaker Review.

His phone number is 1-417-678-4471

I wanted to bump this up.

I tried to call Myron but his phone is disconnected.

Any one have info on him?

Robert Kapteyn

I got a pair of these seals from Myron. I would not recommend them to anybody. They are to large and do not fit well. I took them to a professional glass shop and had them work on them. They could not make them fit either. They fit terribly still. I wish I had never taken out my old rock hard rubber and replaced them. And they were very pricey too.

South Bend is over and I was in the hospital.Missed the whole thing.Did anyone see John Mc.Call and did he have any front vent window rubbers for the 1940 Commander or President?

South Bend is over and I was in the hospital.Missed the whole thing.Did anyone see John Mc.Call and did he have any front vent window rubbers for the 1940 Commander or President?

John was set up there for both days. Did not see the vent wing rubber but I did not look specifically for that item. Sorry you missed it. Good weather and turn out. Not sure how the vendors did. How are you doing?

John was set up there for both days. Did not see the vent wing rubber but I did not look specifically for that item. Sorry you missed it. Good weather and turn out. Not sure how the vendors did. How are you doing?

I am allright.

I thought I was having a heart attack but it turned out to be Vertigo.

I am home and doing better.

Robert Kapteyn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest new2drive

Hello all... I have been out of things for a bit, new kid(s) etc... Anyway, I bought a set of vent windor seals (I believe from Myron also). They ran around $275 bucks... they seem quite larg (thick).... I have not tried to put them in yet though... I am getting th ecar painted first.. no reason to do it twice...

Now, after reading all of this... I believe my pair is silicone rubber...

I am a chemist and have a lot of experience with mold making, etc...

I currently have 3 1940 commander 4 door sedans in various stages of fixing up. I bought 2 from Sam Ensley over on the Studebaker Forums... great guy... really great guy.

Anyway... after seeing this thread, I am thinking... 2 of my 3 40's do have old/original vent window seals in them.... I could probably oil them (soften them) without ruining them, pull them and then make a mold. It is on my "to-do" list. I figured I would just buy the pair from the guy online sight unseen and go from there.

I might have to move on these... if there is a market for them, I will invest the time to do so. Ihave no idea what i would sell them for, but like most kickstarter projects, if I had an idea going into this project how many I could sell... (after quality was inspected and approved).. I could easily be motivated to get to work.

Drop me a line here and let me know what you think... also.. I am located in Western PA and am working out of an original Studebaker dealership... I just wish I had the time to commit to working on my cars!!! Kids take up a LOT of time....

Dan

Talk to Myron.

He owned the dies.

He said that there is not enough of a market and that he was not going to make more.

He would see if the maker still has the dies.

You maybe able to improve the fit and use the correct rubber compound.

Contact John Mc.Call and see what he has done.

Between the three of you we may see some results.

Do a search on this forum for John McCall's contact info and numerous posts on 1940 vent window rubbers.

Robert Kapteyn

Guest new2drive

Robert,

Thanks, I am actually working on carpet door trim for Myron's 40 right now. I have access to presses and a machine shop. The vent window rubber is not pretty, but it is correct and I have what he has. Just in case someone is reading my original post wrong. Myron has done nothing "bad". It is a shame that the 40 vent windows are "unique" to the 40 alone....

For the seals... The reason Myron sold them so expensive is to recoup what the "die maker" charged him. I will be able to make my own using a little reverse engineering. I'll make the mold from RTV rubber and cast them in an appropriate rubber. My prices, when done, will be far less... materials cost and pretty much a little for my time.

• 2 years later...
Guest Dick Tater

Dan - 

I'd be interested in a set of the wind wing rubbers.  I recently picked up a well-preserved 1940 commander 4-door while buying a 1949 starlight commander (got a deal on the two that I couldn't pass up!).  No dents on the body and all the chrome, etc. in pretty good condition, but want to replace all the rubber when I repaint.  

Thanks,

- Denis 

• 4 years later...

This was an old thread but I wonder if anyone ever made the vent window rubber for the 1940 Commander and President?

I have a request for a pair but I have not been to the warehouse lately.

I have many request for parts but it has been too cold and heating the building cost more than the parts I sell.

When it warms up , I will resume selling parts.

I have put a few items that I could locate easily on eBay but that has become a nightmare 

My granddaughter is helping me to set up a webpage but I have not put anything on it yet.

I will be putting pictures of unidentified parts I have on the site, hoping that some of these will. be recognized and purchased.

http://jolietstudebaker.com

Robert Kapteyn

Edited by rbk (see edit history)

Thanks Robert for reviving this post........I am not not sure if the original post is for the front or rear vent windows...but I am still looking for the rear vent window rubber for the '39 commander.  I cant tell from my body catalog if the 40 is the same as the '39.   I understand a late 30's ford rubber can be made to work for the '39.   My rubber is intact but it has hardened and has "splits" along the outside lip.  If I knew more about casting these from the originals, I might would give it a try.