What is this! Stutz? Please help!!

Guest t_towner

Guest t_towner

Can Someone help tell me about this car?

It's titled as a 1932 Stutz Convertible Custom. DV-32 Engine.

One owner since the 50's. Parked since 1964.

a0bb4e73.jpg

4f987313.jpg

a498235c.jpg

3c46ae82.jpg

Those are modified 49 Cadillac front and rear fenders and deck lid. The bumpers and head, tail and parking lights are 49 Cadillac too. From what I can see of the top of the engine it does look like Stutz. Interesting vehicle.

Guest t_towner

That's interesting. Definately looks like 49 Caddy fins and possibly front.

I wonder who would do such a thing? Hasn't the DV-32 chassis always been expensive? The craftsmanship is incredible. Why would someone yank a Stutz body and do this unless the buyer or circumstance were very special?

It is said this car was one of 2 cars built for the movie Topper w/ Cary Grant. They used the 36 Buick vs this particular car. It could have been the sequel to Topper he is talking about. I was hoping someone would know the car or the coach builder?

All the parts are there.

ad9367b0.jpg

f51ab256.jpg

Edited by t_towner (see edit history)

I cannot get a good-enough look at the right rear wheel to read the center cap

Engine certainly looks like Stutz

Body, fenders, bumpers are certainly Cadillac.

1953 Version of Topper - leo G. Carroll played Topper, a banker who was constantly gotten in and out of minor problems by George and Marion (and their St. Bernard), a couple - ghosts who would materialize and dematerialize at will to mystify Cosmo Topper in front of his wife. Was she played by Spring Byington?

Edited by Marty Roth
CRS (see edit history)

I believe the grille is two halves from a '50 Nash, sectioned horizontally with a center bar added,

then rotated 90 degrees (as mentioned earlier). Episode 11 of the first season of Topper is called

"Car Story"(or similar) but you'd have to buy a DVD set of the series ($16 plus $6 S/H)

to find out if this is the car in question.

I would bet that if they used a hopped up car for TV, it was probably already around town,

home-built which the producer rented for the occasion.The episode I watched of Topper looks

like budget sets were used, so such a purpose-built creation would have been prohibitively costly.

Perhaps.

I also bet that you'd find pics of the car by scouring through some of the early hotrod and

custom car magazines; someone would have been very of this baby!

TG

PS. 1.11 Topper: CAR EPISODE

18Dec53 CBS (copyright date 18Dec53)

Produced by John W. Loveton

Written by George Oppenheimer & Stephen Sondheim

Synopsis:

The Kerbys try to persuade Topper to buy a sports car. [RF]

Synopsis (possibly "Car Episode")

The Kerbys want Cosmo to get a sports car for Henrietta's birthday. [TD]

Could be some XK120-140 Jaguar roadster pieces there too. Would fit the timeline. Cowl, especially its sides, the doors, and rear panel above trunk lid, all modified of course. Check to see if doors are aluminum as were the Jag's. Its other panels mentioned would be steel. Very interesting!

I know this car, have talked with the owner, and saw it in person back in 2003. The car was originally a 1932/1933 Stutz DV-32. We don't know what body was originally on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were a sedan. Some time around 1949/50/51 it was modified. Really the only things left on it that are Stutz are the front 1/2 of the frame, axles, and engine. The frame was cut about 1/2 way back and the rear 1/2 is from something else. The transmission isn't Stutz, it's out of a truck or something and the gearing on it is terrible, or so the owner told me. He said it was a slow car because of the transmission gearing. The body obviously takes it ques from the 1949 Cadillac. The car is very heavy as it's full of lead. The craftmanship was good and the owner told me it came from Southern California. He thought it was going to be used ina movie but then wasn't for whatever reason. One interesting this on it was the water manifold on top of the engine. Originally it went over the front timing cover and into the radiator with a hose in between. Because the new body on the car is so low, the people who built it cut a round hole in the front timing chain cover (remember this engine is DOHC) and ran the water tube through the cover inbetween the two upper timing chain gears. Pretty ingenious. I'm sure someday someone will fix it up, but I'd be tempted to rebuild it on an 1949 Cadillac chassis and save the Stutz parts to ressurect another Stutz.

Guest t_towner

K8096......you have a PM.

Curious, do you have any pics of your 2003 viewing? I'll check the transmission as I understood it to be orignal Stutz.

Thanks, Greg

There was a Topper sequel called Topper Returns with Roland Young and Billie Burke as Mr and Mrs Topper but no Cary Grant.

In it, Topper's car is a 1936 Mercedes 540K roadster chauffeured by Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, best known for his work in Jack Benny's movies, radio and TV shows.

• 3 years later...
Guest 914Driver

The car from Topper started out life as a '36 Buick.

I'm no expert, but that engine looks for all the world like a straight double overhead cam six Jag motor.

Here is my old Mark VII engine:

IMG_0024.JPG

It is different for sure. But if you swapped sides for the intake and exhaust as well as reversed the rotation of the engine, you might be able to get a Jaguar to sound that bad. I sure miss the sound of that Jag.

Bernie

I cannot get a good-enough look at the right rear wheel to read the center cap

Engine certainly looks like Stutz

Body, fenders, bumpers are certainly Cadillac.

1953 Version of Topper - leo G. Carroll played Topper, a banker who was constantly gotten in and out of minor problems by George and Marion (and their St. Bernard), a couple - ghosts who would materialize and dematerialize at will to mystify Cosmo Topper in front of his wife. Was she played by Spring Byington?

I remember the dog named Cleo. I think it was a Basset hound but that was the TV series.

The XK 120/140/150s are great cars. My mom drove a 140 MC for years as her everyday summer driver. The only issue was warm days you watched that temp gauge. Big engine in a little compartment.

The subject of this thread, a Stutz special is supposed to have a shortened DV32 chassis under the 1950s bodywork. Not horrible looking, not fantastic either. It has floated around in various Internet forums for years.

• 2 years later...
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2010 at 9:17 PM, t_towner said:

That's interesting. Definately looks like 49 Caddy fins and possibly front.

I wonder who would do such a thing? Hasn't the DV-32 chassis always been expensive? The craftsmanship is incredible. Why would someone yank a Stutz body and do this unless the buyer or circumstance were very special?

It is said this car was one of 2 cars built for the movie Topper w/ Cary Grant. They used the 36 Buick vs this particular car. It could have been the sequel to Topper he is talking about. I was hoping someone would know the car or the coach builder?

All the parts are there.

ad9367b0.jpg

f51ab256.jpg

Here is an answer to your third question. At a trotting track (horse racing) in Australia they used a Stutz starting gate that was a car with the body removed.  Our fellow club member down there , Garry M,

now has it and is building a three door roadster body similar to a Locke body on it. I hope he reads this post and will give us a progress report 

This car is currently owned by a local friend and car collector. I spent a few minute looking it over last week. I'm not sure quite how to describe it. It's built with talent and thoughtfulness. Like so many one off customs they look and feel a bit ............awkward or off. To be fair I think it will look much better when it is put back to its original configuration. They have acquired the parts to do so. As the current owner has a bunch of cars and is very active in the hobby, I'm not sure how soon he will get to it. Ed.

years back i was at the pomona swapmeet this is probably sometime in the seventies there was a custom supposidly built for the movie boston blackie,it was a cut down lincoln as i remember looked similar to this car supposidly built for or by the studios  as i remember it was 1200 back then it was red and pretty rough,about a year later i saw it advertised in hemmings it was in colorado at that time    dave