gas line blocked...chemical clean out??

mrspeedyt

:confused: I moved the '62 cad the other day and had to use an outboard motor tank because the original fuel line seems blocked. I tried blowing thru it and even pressured the tank...all that came thru the line was the smallest trickle. Has anyone had success cleaning out the gunk that is in the fuel line/ gas tank (thanks to modern gas)? I would prefer a chemical clean-out that is simple and effective because the fuel line and tank are in good condition. Thanks!!!

You can try reverse blowing, hook up a line to the one you took off before the fuel pump and blow back. This should clear the line. You should be aware that in some case you will have a (brass sleeve or sock) in the tank, which also may be full of debris, so this would be a temp fix.

I thought I had a perfect tank and line on my Avanti, turned out that it was full of rust and other debris on about the last 10% of the tank. Pulled it, and had it re-done for about $140s. A good investment for sure. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pull the tank. I wish I had heeded my own advice to you before I had to leave the car on the road and walk home.

Inline Tube ( Inline Tube - Preformed Stainless & OEM Brake Line Sets ) sells new fuel and return lines for this car for $110.00 each in stainless, &79.00 each in mild steel. Classic Tube ( Classic Tube - PreBent and Custom Stainless and OE Brake Lines and more... ) carries the fuel line in stainless only for $119.00. I've used both, and I think their products are much better in appearance than anything even the most skilled among us can make on our own. If the interior of the line is corroded it's just a matter of time before it re-clogs no matter how clean you make it.

Of course the gas tank is more likely the source of the clog, and cleaning it out is a must no matter what.

thank you guys for your tips. i've blown thru the line from the fuel pump and from the tank filler (with an imperfect seal) with my air compressor and will try again by filling the front hose with carb cleaner and then blow it back to the tank. maybe it'll work.... then again maybe not. i'll update thread when i try it in a few weeks.... gotta love this modern gas.... i even used brand 's' stabilizer!!! (the car sat for at least 3 years.)

(the car sat for at least 3 years.)

Typically the popular gas stabilizers that most auto stores handle is good for up to a year (Sta-bil is 12 months maximum). If it sat for 3 years the stabilizer was past its life.

Bill Hirsch sells an excellent fuel stabilizer http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FPS-01 and it is good for 3 years. Sounds like you need a need fuel line and the gas tank throughly cleaned.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fr Mike

I went through the same frustration you have with fuel lines. Over time a deposit builds up on the inside surface, effectively reducing the diameter (like in those heart plaque commercials on TV), finally producing fuel delivery problems. Blowing out the lines doesn't remove the built-up deposit. "Roto-rooting" may do some good. Replacing the lines with new ones is the way to go for fully efficient lines.

Guest stude8

Had similar "clogged" line on my 78 Chrysler. Where tank metal line connected to fuel line that ran along frame rail to engine there was a short rubber hose (4 or 5" long) . Illinois gas-a-hol fuel attacked the 1978 SAE formula rubber in inside diameter, turned it to a glob of black jelly. Had to pull lines loose at rear end and blow out from front at fuel pump with carb cleaner solvent to push out the congealed mess. Be sure any new rubber hose is present day SAE alcohol proof material.

Stude8

I had the same problem with our 61 caddy. turned out to be old cracked fuel lines connecting the tank to the steel lines. they were cracked in small enough places that they didn't leak fuel, just suck air. I replaced all rubber tubes. Also discovered that there were two lines running to the engine compartment - side by side - I believe that both are fuel feed lines but one was disconnected and capped at the firewall. I removed that and capped the line at the tank and am just running the one line. my brother had to hit triple digits on the interstate to catch and slow down my mother ( no speedo) on the way to louisville. made all the difference in the world.

• 1 month later...

now the update... removed rubber line at fuel pump and poured carb cleaner to the brim of the hose. applied air pressure and blew back to tank. now the line is open. hooked back together but pump only sucked air. replaced both lengths of rubber lines (6 1/2 feet) on main supply line (the old hose appeared origional and so did the clamps). now it works!!! next i will replace the return line hose. thanks again for the tips!:)