How many on here own a 1928 or 1929 Dodge Victory 6???

Guest Buick1908

We own a 1929 Dodge Victory 6 Sport sedan.We bought it in 2007. I have to try to post a picture of it on here.It is stock and we love this car.

If you limit your photo pixel size to 2000 in both directions, the photos should post without a problem.

• 1 year later...

my parents had a '28 victory 6 4dr sdn..but the old man had to sell it to pay bills..sold in the winter of 1980 .we are in washington state..i always wondered what happened to it i can't imagine it being a Honda civic be now it was to nice or at least worth rebuilding ..if anybody knows let me know will yea.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joshsims

Wow really brings me back to my my late grandpa's garage. He had a 28 Victory. Near the end of his life it made its way to a collector, but I always think about that car and its history. Thanx for the pictures.

Our family has a few Victory Sixes

Sport roadster

Sport sedan

Deluxe late sedan

Early sedan

Coupe

Sport touring

4-Passenger coupe - early

4-Passenger coupe - late

131 sedan - early

131 sedan - late

All except three are "on the road"

All of those and not a single photo? C'mon, now.....throw us a bone.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Panelbeater, we just had two 1928 standard sedans at the Macungie, Pa. show in early August. They are quite rare in this country too, and it was a good sight to see two sit side by side.

I recently acquired an engine taken from a DB Victory Sedan. I found that the engine was a DA engine and not the Victory 6.

Did the Victory series cars come with both engine available? Can anyone clarify?

• 3 months later...
My Dad and I just bought a 1928 Victory Six Sedan off of our cousin (forum member name CanadianVictory6). We're planning on doing a full restoration on it over the next few years

[ATTACH=CONFIG]284713[/ATTACH]

Great looking car.

Do you have an engine #. It should be on the registration or title.

Curious if this is the Victory 6 or DA 6.

I recently acquired a DA 6 that was in a Victory Sedan. The most noticeable difference in these engine is the location of the generator. The Victory has it on the passenger side or left side .

Got any pictures of the engine you could post?

It is a Victory Six. I've spoken with his cousin about the vehicle a few years ago. Another indicator of the Victory Six is the louvers on the engine hood. 4,4,4,2 I'm glad to see the car is going to be restored! No offense, but the current color just does nothing for the car! lol If you need any help, just let Dennis and I know. We are about mid-way through the restoration of our Victory Six. We may have learned some tricks that will make things much easier for you! Good luck with the car!

Shannon

It is a Victory Six. I've spoken with his cousin about the vehicle a few years ago. Another indicator of the Victory Six is the louvers on the engine hood. 4,4,4,2 I'm glad to see the car is going to be restored! No offense, but the current color just does nothing for the car! lol If you need any help, just let Dennis and I know. We are about mid-way through the restoration of our Victory Six. We may have learned some tricks that will make things much easier for you! Good luck with the car!

Shannon

Shannon, I totally agree about the color. If I remember right, Corey's uncle tried painting it at one point, but it didn't really help. The brown is the original color, but I'd like to do something different as far as the color goes. I was looking at the thread that you have regarding your restoration. The car looks fantastic. I can't wait to get this one to that point. How many years have you been working on it?

We have been about 3 years on our restoration with a lot of down time here and there. We're almost afraid to work on it now with the cab painted and back on the frame! I would highly recommend getting the Victory Six CD that Meyers Early Dodge sells! It will have a lot of information you will need. Believe me, while the book hasn't had everything Dennis needed, it has had so much that he has!! He refers to it quite often. Again, good luck with the restoration. If you have any questions or get stuck on something, feel free to contact us. We'll help the best we can!

Shannon

Sorry to butt in. Always something to learn from reading peoples input. I guess I was lucky to buy a rare car. I just hauled my new addition from Nevada to Texas. A 1929 Dodge Brothers Standard Six. Hearing its a rare model makes me even more excited about returning it back to its glory. My car is titled 1929 but as you all probably know, was actually built in 1928. Frame number is J-46XXX but the engine has J-60XXX. When removing the front bumpers I also noticed a 28 stamped on the bumper bracket. Its in great shape except for the carburetor, and distributor, ( curse of Medusa ) and it has no hydraulic brakes. It has mechanical brakes all around.

Later Thanks!!

post-80535-143142873402_thumb.jpg

Stakeside, here are a few pictures of the engine. Number is in the first picture. Second and third pictures are of the passenger and driver side views of the engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]285223[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]285224[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]285225[/ATTACH]

Thanks for photos. This is defiantly a Victory 6. The engine code prefix should be "M" for a Victory 6.

The numbers shown on the head are not the engine number. There are casing number and casing date for the head only. The engine number is on the side of the engine just above the valve cover plate. I have seen the engine number above the water pump also.

Interesting to see the carburetor. It is the same as my DA 6. I am curious what carb was used on the Standard 6.

Sorry to butt in. Always something to learn from reading peoples input. I guess I was lucky to buy a rare car. I just hauled my new addition from Nevada to Texas. A 1929 Dodge Brothers Standard Six. Hearing its a rare model makes me even more excited about returning it back to its glory. My car is titled 1929 but as you all probably know, was actually built in 1928. Frame number is J-46XXX but the engine has J-60XXX. When removing the front bumpers I also noticed a 28 stamped on the bumper bracket. Its in great shape except for the carburetor, and distributor, ( curse of Medusa ) and it has no hydraulic brakes. It has mechanical brakes all around.

Later Thanks!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]285501[/ATTACH]

If you are not a member of the DB Club you should join. See http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=d47ad190acd2d1b4737cffc240030552

The attached table was posted there.

note: "J" code standard, "M" code Victory, "H" code DA and "IS" code Senior.

.post-71470-143142873738_thumb.jpg

Yes, I thought 1928-29 6 cyl. all post-80535-143142875068_thumb.jpgcame with hydraulic brakes. But I was surprised to find mechanical brake on all four corners. The carburetor is a UX-2, Stromburg. The motor number is between the exhaust and generator on the passenger side. I'm finding out Dodge didn't stick to anything for too long. I guess it just depended what was on the shelf.

The car is in great shape except for the carburetor and distributor, ( Medusa curse).

Thanks for the reply.

post-80535-143142874959_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142875003_thumb.jpg

Yes, I thought 1928-29 6 cyl. all came with hydraulic brakes. But I was surprised to find mechanical brake on all four corners. The carburetor is a UX-2, Stromburg. The motor number is between the exhaust and generator on the passenger side. I'm finding out Dodge didn't stick to anything for too long. I guess it just depended what was on the shelf.

The car is in great shape except for the carburetor and distributor, ( Medusa curse).

Thanks for the reply.

These old pot metal carbs were not very durable. My Stromberg U2 came on my DB "E" series truck with the DA 6. The bowl is cracked. The replacement carb came of a DA 6 Victory Sedan and is in good condition. The replacement carb is similar to the carbs available at a Model A parts supply. Have not checked yet but maybe Napa may even have them.

post-71470-143142875151_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142875126_thumb.jpg

Reading the discussions on this site provides allot of info. So many carburetors that fit a variety of cars it really gets confusing. I need something to replace my UX-2. I have read about these being possible substitutes: Allstate 2405, Tillotson-DA6, Zenith 114 1/2, UR-2, OE-2, Carter BB-1A special or BB1D, Zenith 1 model A (28-31), Zenith -2 for 28-31 model A, Tillotson Model X (28-29) model A, Zenith Model 2138016. I'm not a mechanic by trade I'm just a backyard hobbyist. Loved cars all my life, my years were the 50s. Never worked on anything this old.

Thanks!!

• 5 months later...

Sorry to butt in, I have the older brother, 1929 Standard Six which I believe had the same engine. Looking at yours it looks just like mine. Are you having the same problems with the potted metal flaking to pieces? I also plan a full restoration.  

Edited by db17 (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

Hello Everyone.   I am in Australia and this DODGE VICTORY SIX was my first car bought from my Great Uncle in 1957.   The photo is from about 1958-9 and that is me driving  it. 

I drove it to Sydney & return from Brisbane  [ about 650 miles back then ] over 5 days with 2 mates.   That was the longest trip.  I took it out West on a number of shooting trips....

I often wish I still had it and sometimes even now dream about finding it again.  I have never seen another one in my travels.   If anyone is interested I have more photos....

Den001.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Matt.   It looks  wonderful.  I gather you have been restoring it for a while.       Have you got a side on photo ??    Denys

Hello Everyone.   I am in Australia and this DODGE VICTORY SIX was my first car bought from my Great Uncle in 1957.   The photo is from about 1958-9 and that is me driving  it. 

I drove it to Sydney & return from Brisbane  [ about 650 miles back then ] over 5 days with 2 mates.   That was the longest trip.  I took it out West on a number of shooting trips....

I often wish I still had it and sometimes even now dream about finding it again.  I have never seen another one in my travels.   If anyone is interested I have more photos....

10 hours ago, denyskay said:

Thanks Matt.   It looks  wonderful.  I gather you have been restoring it for a while.       Have you got a side on photo ??    Denys

Thanks Denys 

Here’s a side pic. Keep searching for your car. I searched for my dads 58 Plymouth Fury convertible for about 18 months and eventually tracked it down. Well a photo of it pulled from blackberry bushes in someone’s backyard. It was pretty bad but it gave my dad closure. Crazy as it sounds, he loved that car. This was his Plymouth. 

7256699F-E6D7-41A6-9AB7-899F55BFC896.png

1F7F6A8B-E17F-4DD5-8BB9-4F8EA57914BC.jpeg

807667D1-9467-4535-9F23-3CC6DABA0468.jpeg

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

Hi Matt.    Your DODGE looks great. and its a Sedan.  Shame about the Plymouth.   A lot of Tourers came to Australia.    There are some subtle differences between yours and the one I had.   I had a place for two spare wheels, one in each front mudguard.  The other is that the door handles on mine were on the rear of the doors.   I have to say that my old one is the only one I have seen a photo of with VICTORY SIX on the RADIATOR....

ps    I had a carrier on the rear on which I bolted a large wooden crate....

Denys

Edited by denyskay
Forgot about the carrier. (see edit history)

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Terry Spooner said:

This Dodge Brothers Victory sedan I bought I thought it was a 1927? There is no I D tag on it and cant seem to find numbers on the frame so far need help.

Spragge Ontario Canada.

terrys pics 066.jpg

terrys pics 070.jpg

Look on the side of the frame on the drivers side near where the rear of the front spring mounts.

These are stamped VERY lightly and are difficult to see even when the frame is clean.