Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

Mike,

If I remember correctly, the late Chris Wolfe, a good friend of mine and one of the first ROA members, wrote an article about photographing cars and published it in the Riview.  Chris wrote one of the first books dedicated to the Riviera which was published in 1986.  Every once in a while, one will show up on Amazon but they usually are pretty worn and go for around $80 - $90. I'll never let go of mine, it's signed and personalized.  He and our friend Oin Loe, from Norway, spent a couple of days with me and Linda before going on to the 2005 ROA event in Eureka Springs.  At that time we discussed collaborating on volume 2 which would have covered the 74 - 99 models.  But before we got too far along, he passed away.  

Anyway, as a semi-professional photographer, Chris was very good at setting cars into good back grounds.  In the more recent volumes of the Riview, you can see the effects of settings and how the car is presented, especially when compared to some of the first volumes.  Ray Knott has done a really good job of getting the best photos for the Riview.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

How many are you going to need before you're satisfied? 😊

Ed, I satisfied now. By having another set I can fix them up so someone else can be as satisfied. They are real fun to clean polish powder coat and buff out.

Turbinator

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NC1968Riviera said:

If you'll notice, those wheel covers have the same silver/black Buick Tri-shield center medallions as the ones your are reproducing.

379572567_63RivieraWheelCover-detail.jpg.df716cc77e9b84c340748c81126f1c4b.jpg

Ah, ha! Also appears the white walls are tad wider than an one inch. Still look great. These wheelcovers are truly the greatest stock wheel covers I’ve seen.

Turbinator

• Like 2

1963 only, Riviera only.  They're also the same centers that fit the base wheel cover. In 63 and 64, the cars came with 5 cast wheel covers (all mounted) and 4 knock-off center caps.  5 cast centers and 4 caps to make tire rotation easy. Unless you had to mount/dismount a tire, the cast cover did not need to come off.

A nightmare if you took them to a tire store that wasn't familiar with them.  First they would try to pry off the cast cover and you'd find your cover with a chunk broken out of it.  Once the shop guy figured out that knock-off had to come off to access the lug bolts, you had a 50/50 chance that he wouldn't strip the threads on the left side of the car.  No righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Once he figured out that the cover had to be unbolted to mount/dismount the tire, you thought you were home safe because all he has to do was reverse the order.  But no, when he went to put the knock-off back on, where did he choose to strike it? Yep, right in the center of the plastic emblem.  😫

In my own mind, that's why I think they were only a two year deal.

When I bought my 63, one cover was bent and one had a chunk missing but Ihad all five.  All 4 centers were cracked.  Luckily I found two more covers, one at a time, and bought a full set of four base wheel covers with good centers.  It took me about 4 years to do that.  Oddly enough that was four years before the ROA was founded.  After that there were the ROA classifieds and the members included a couple of guys who had parts cars and were familiar with them.  Smooth sailing after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Ah, ha! Also appears the white walls are tad wider than an one inch. Still look great. These wheelcovers are truly the greatest stock wheel covers I’ve seen.

Turbinator

I think that these are the correct width white sidewall for the era. Probably 1-1/8" to 1-1/4".  I wonder if in Tom M's collection of old original parts he doesn't have a 56 or 57 year old spare tire somewhere?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RivNut said:

I think that these are the correct width white sidewall for the era. Probably 1-1/8" to 1-1/4".  I wonder if in Tom M's collection of old original parts he doesn't have a 56 or 57 year old spare tire somewhere?

Ed, the white walls in the photo appear to be at 1 1/2”

wide. Now, Frank, the lifetime tire store owner and car collector told me the “ standard” width of a white wall tire for a GM car of the first gen Riviera era is 15/16”. I like the 1” wide white wall on my tires a lot. So, I’m sure 1” is correct, but if I’m wrong I’m not changing.

It is possible the tires in the pic in question are replacement tires.

Turbinator

3 hours ago, PWB said:

What is black, white and red down the middle?

1727090804_Nose-Copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.a30c87534b009bf43f6b002caf76b8a0.jpg

:D

BUICK GM Definitely should have put that redline down the front grill from factory. At least for GS package. They would have sold more. Nice picture!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Is the 68 the original color? What is the color code?

I see you have a matching color vinyl top. Did this car originally have a black vinyl top?

Yes it is the original color, repainted somewhere along the line.  Med. Teal Blue Mist. The paint code is LL.  So first I know is paint color and 2nd I thought was vinyl top? Its not the original vinyl i know that because they terminated it right at the back window vs the factory vinyl covering the back trunk vents.   Interior code is 691.  Still learning all the codes and such.   Pretty sure it is not a true GS though.  Has the chrome air cleaner and badge but i think the VIN tells it has standard differential.  code "PJ" non posi

29 minutes ago, mcmasterson said:

Yes it is the original color, repainted somewhere along the line.  Med. Teal Blue Mist. The paint code is LL.  So first I know is paint color and 2nd I thought was vinyl top? Its not the original vinyl i know that because they terminated it right at the back window vs the factory vinyl covering the back trunk vents.   Interior code is 691.  Still learning all the codes and such.   Pretty sure it is not a true GS though.  Has the chrome air cleaner and badge but i think the VIN tells it has standard differential.  code "PJ" non posi

That is a super gorgeous Riviera. Great color combo. It even has the center console shifter too right? I don't this the VIN can show or where did you get the PJ? Basically to make sure you want to find the stamping on the differential tube (drivers side). Or maybe just do a peel out and see if both tires?! hehehe. Either way, its a magical ride! Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, Chimera said:

That is a super gorgeous Riviera. Great color combo. It even has the center console shifter too right? I don't this the VIN can show or where did you get the PJ? Basically to make sure you want to find the stamping on the differential tube (drivers side). Or maybe just do a peel out and see if both tires?! hehehe. Either way, its a magical ride! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!  Yeah it does have the center console.  That was what I was really looking for and glad I found it.  I have the original protecto plate that shows the "PJ"  assume its the original at least.  It runs well but the last guy didnt drive it much so I think the carb is fairly gummed up as its not lighting up the tires yet and kind of doggy out of the gate.   But will certainly be giving that a try soon!  Couple more photos below of engine and console.  

18199733-1968-buick-riviera-std.jpg

18199911-1968-buick-riviera-std.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mcmasterson said:

Thanks!  Yeah it does have the center console.  That was what I was really looking for and glad I found it.  I have the original protecto plate that shows the "PJ"  assume its the original at least.  It runs well but the last guy didnt drive it much so I think the carb is fairly gummed up as its not lighting up the tires yet and kind of doggy out of the gate.   But will certainly be giving that a try soon!  Couple more photos below of engine and console.  

I recall drooling over this one when on market. I had the 430 sticker on the air cleaner top also, but don't think it is original. Up to you of course for what style you like. Yeah so if paint code is LL, it most likely came from factory without a vinyl top, but I like the one they put on it in that color. Makes it unique. Triple Teal/blue vehicle! Yeah, PJ on protect-o is a good indication. I would still want to see the stamping...

On 4/2/2020 at 3:45 PM, mcmasterson said:

Here are my 3 Riviera's  63, 68, 75.  Just got the '68 late fall.  

Very nice indeed!

21 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

It’s nice to have a fleet of Buicks. Just in case

I guess I will have to agree, it can be nice to have a fleet, but troublesome too sometimes.

• Haha 1

Is there a magic number? The gentleman who owns the shop where I take my cars has only one Riviera,  a 1963, and he seems to think that's enough. But in his many garages all over town, he stores his 27 REO trucks; including a firetruck.  

There's always someone with more. We're relatively serious participants in a non-Riviera portion of the automotive hobby—we have three.

Our non-car friends think that's an insane number of hobby vehicles. Our car friends think "they're nice folks—some day they'll get serious."

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Original paint, needs redone. Decided to make it look as best as possible until I repaint. Day one buffed with 1000 grit. day two buffed with 3800 grit. Day three waxed. result...... Shiny patina

IMG_1909.JPG

• Like 11

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

I really like the looks of your wheels with the beauty rings.

Thank you Ed, I did the same thing to my Corvette. You would be surprised how many people comment on them.

Daryle, looks great! Especially for original paint. Nice job, pretty car.

I dropped off my seats at the upholsterer today. Done waiting on the OPG foam for the rear. I’m ready to go for a drive, hopefully won’t be too long. 

17 hours ago, crowvet said:

Original paint, needs redone. Decided to make it look as best as possible until I repaint. Day one buffed with 1000 grit. day two buffed with 3800 grit. Day three waxed. result...... Shiny patina

IMG_1909.JPG

Daryle, That looks great!

From the picture it doesn’t look like it “needs redone,” not anymore anyway.

With it being original paint, I am surprised you were able to start with your first step. No doubt you were very careful with your sanding, but I would not have thought there would have been enough mils of paint to hold up to 1000 grit sanding first, then move on to your other steps.

Congrats, the paint does look very nice. And, the wheels look good that way too.

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

Daryle, That looks great!

From the picture it doesn’t look like it “needs redone,” not anymore anyway.

With it being original paint, I am surprised you were able to start with your first step. No doubt you were very careful with your sanding, but I would not have thought there would have been enough mils of paint to hold up to 1000 grit sanding first, then move on to your other steps.

Congrats, the paint does look very nice. And, the wheels look good that way too.

Rivman, The grits I was referring to was the grit of the buffing compounds, not sandpaper. Yeah it would not of handled a sanding. I have primer showing through in some areas and some spot painting. But for what it is it turned out looking pretty good.

4 minutes ago, crowvet said:

Rivman, The grits I was referring to was the grit of the buffing compounds, not sandpaper. Yeah it would not of handled a sanding. I have primer showing through in some areas and some spot painting. But for what it is it turned out looking pretty good.original, 

If you can finder the right painter, he could probably do some touch up if that's the original lacquer paint.,

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If you can finder the right painter, he could probably do some touch up if that's the original lacquer paint.,

Wish you guys could see it up close. It really is bad. I too am amazed at how well it presents in photos and at first glance I am not sure how to describe the problems it has? It has little tiny surface rust marks all throughout the paint that look like tiny chicken feet. They buff off to a not to noticeable state but keep coming back. Painters say it needs stripped. Also has several areas that were spot painted that don't match up to well.

1 hour ago, 71GS said:

Daryle, looks great! Especially for original paint. Nice job, pretty car.

I dropped off my seats at the upholsterer today. Done waiting on the OPG foam for the rear. I’m ready to go for a drive, hopefully won’t be too long. 

Hey Brian, I finally got to drive mine again. It's amazing how much better they run with fresh interior and detailed. I think you made the right choice on your seat. I did mine myself, they look "ok" but I have had to subconsciously lower my standards to accept them. Make sure to post or shoot me some pictures when you are done. I love sharing our progress, and it is fun to see what others are doing . 

Daryle, that’s great glad you got out for a drive. I’ll definitely post or send some pics when I get them back. I have to get the door panels back together this week. Had to repair a few cracks in the armrest bases. Installed some sound deadening on the doors while the trim panels are off. How do you like your LED’s?

Brian

59 minutes ago, crowvet said:

Wish you guys could see it up close. It really is bad. I too am amazed at how well it presents in photos and at first glance I am not sure how to describe the problems it has? It has little tiny surface rust marks all throughout the paint that look like tiny chicken feet. They buff off to a not to noticeable state but keep coming back. Painters say it needs stripped. Also has several areas that were spot painted that don't match up to well.

Those "chicken feet" are lacquer checking.  Pretty typical of lacquer paint as it ages.  New paint and old paint oxidize at different rates so what looks go initially doesn't last long.

2 hours ago, crowvet said:

Hey, enjoy it as is and not have the stress of a fresh perfect paint job. Mine was painted like 30 years ago and I’m kinda glad it’s not perfect. Some day I’m sure I’ll paint it but not for a good while. 

My brother just had his 67 Vette painted and while it’s stunning, I’m curious to see if he drives it less now. 

740D06FD-AE90-4D37-B8E0-208C19B97097.jpeg

DB3AFC50-6D94-40AD-94BE-30AD9A4E2AA3.jpeg

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 71GS said:

Hey, enjoy it as is and not have the stress of a fresh perfect paint job. Mine was painted like 30 years ago and I’m kinda glad it’s not perfect. Some day I’m sure I’ll paint it but not for a good while. 

My brother just had his 67 Vette painted and while it’s stunning, I’m curious to see if he drives it less now. 

740D06FD-AE90-4D37-B8E0-208C19B97097.jpeg

DB3AFC50-6D94-40AD-94BE-30AD9A4E2AA3.jpeg

WOW, looks awesome. I have to say, I do drive the Rivi a lot more than the Vett. I am betting your brother wont be as relaxed. My wife jumps in the Vett and just drives it. Because I restored it and know every little detail, I am like what is that noise, where is that wind noise from, is that a rattle? 

• Like 1