Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

Good point Bernie - check your motor mounts!

I don't know for sure if worn mounts caused the throttle of my friend's Riv to jam wide open.  But it's highly possible.  Luckily I replaced my motor mounts when I rebuilt the drivetrain on my '65 a few years ago. 

The rest of you heed Bernie's advice - a quick check will give you peace of mind.

I had a problem with the '55 I drove to high school.  The oil filler cap came off the valve cover and stuck under the throttle shaft.  Luckily I reacted quickly enough to put the car in neutral and turn off the ignition. I guess the open throttle blades caused the engine to run on for a bit because it sure didn't shut off right away.  

On 10/19/2017 at 8:29 AM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Dave, how does the 2" lowering springs affect the suspension on the car.? Does suspension wear increase faster? Love the look, but does the car suffer from the suspension modification?

thank you

Red Riviera Bob

Bob, I would say it rides firmer but in no way bad. I did have to cut down the snubbers in the front so the suspension would have some extra travel. I can't speak to the wear because I haven't driven it enough to really tell. The alignment shop had no trouble aligning the front end so the change must not be too dramatic. The slightly firmer ride is worth it to me, it was always a cool car, but now it's cool with a bit of attitude...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveC6970 said:

Bob, I would say it rides firmer but in no way bad. I did have to cut down the snubbers in the front so the suspension would have some extra travel. I can't speak to the wear because I haven't driven it enough to really tell. The alignment shop had no trouble aligning the front end so the change must not be too dramatic. The slightly firmer ride is worth it to me, it was always a cool car, but now it's cool with a bit of attitude...

Dave, great stance without abandoning the stock theme. Thank You for the info regarding suspension, front end alignment and handling. The 63 I have would look great 2” lower. The reason why I won’t lower my car is I have knee and back problems that make it a challenge to get in and out. Of course, I could go the expense and have it bagged. I won’t do that because the expense is something I don’t want to pay. Looks r e a l good tome because you have it all. Great Riviera style with a mod that does not fall out of the stock theme. My Red Riviera on a nice autumn day is attached.

2017-10-19 03.06.25.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/28/2017 at 8:35 PM, RivNut said:

The Riviera's front end alignment specs were designed for biased ply tires.  Do a search of this forum for advice on setting front end specs if you're now riding on radial tires.  Probably the best tip for handling improvements.

Ed, thank You for the heads up on alignment. I bought these Toyo Tires with the fat 3/4” white wall (.85 I was told). I had 225/70R 15 before I changed to the Toyo 225/75 R15. The car handles pretty good. My tire man is a long time auto collector and he was surprised when I told him the drivers side on my 63 Riv had left handed threads.

Appreciate your observation and assistance.

RRB

5 minutes ago, NCRiviera said:

The Aqua Zephyr at the Carolina Collectors Auto Fest, Dorton Arena, NC State Fairgrounds, Raleigh, NC 

Looks good Mike!

I was going to try a get up there but just couldn't get away today, hopefully we'll get together one of these days?

Have fun with it.

• Thanks 1

On 2 September 2017 at 5:37 AM, NCRiviera said:

Ed, I took your suggestion and used some lacquer thinner to break the staining on my white walls. I then used Bleche White and a stainless steel scrub brush to deep clean the tires. Though not bright white, the WWs are whiter than they were. Thank you for your suggestion. FYI, lacquer thinner will soften rubber and plastic so rinsing with soapy water between applications of thinner is highly recommended. 

Before cleaning :

20170826_142429.thumb.jpg.073839aa44dc42e4b87c6ae7aab93b7c.jpg

After cleaning front tire :

20170901_115837.thumb.jpg.e2030779b454bed9d21e2cae4cb19a9e.jpg

Before cleaning back tire :

20170826_142439.thumb.jpg.f6ebbfe7f3c8715d94556112b47f124d.jpg

After cleaning back tire :

20170901_115845.thumb.jpg.1105e3b3cdd22d4b062e60823e9f09cd.jpg

Mike, I saw your post about cleaning whitewall tyres and thought I would share with you and other Riviera owners the secret of cleaning them. A friend who was into Pontiacs let me in on a product called Solvol, which is a sand soap used for washing your hands. It has a soap base and is filled with a fine sand to provide abrasive action. 

Wetting the the tyre and rubbing the Solvol around the whitewall, then using a laundry bristle brush quickly removes all the stubborn dirt and grime leaving them clean and white. Not a fan of using solvents or bleaches because of what they may do to deteriorate the rubber. Great for raised letters on SUVs and trucks and 4WDs too.

I have been been trying to keep it a secret down under, as I don't want any of the Ford or Chrysler owners to latch on to it. So just between you and me and other Riviera owners, it's out.

If unobtainum in USA, I'm happy to send over a heap to other Riviera owners if they wish.

Rodney ????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Mike, I saw your post about cleaning whitewall tyres and thought I would share with you and other Riviera owners the secret of cleaning them. A friend who was into Pontiacs let me in on a product called Solvol, which is a sand soap used for washing your hands. It has a soap base and is filled with a fine sand to provide abrasive action. 

Wetting the the tyre and rubbing the Solvol around the whitewall, then using a laundry bristle brush quickly removes all the stubborn dirt and grime leaving them clean and white. Not a fan of using solvents or bleaches because of what they may do to deteriorate the rubber. Great for raised letters on SUVs and trucks and 4WDs too.

I have been been trying to keep it a secret down under, as I don't want any of the Ford or Chrysler owners to latch on to it. So just between you and me and other Riviera owners, it's out.

If unobtainum in USA, I'm happy to send over a heap to other Riviera owners if they wish.

Rodney ????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The white walls look great. The lacquer thinner is news to me for breaking down the stains, but I will use that method in the near future. Rodney Beauchamp offering to send over solvol was a great gesture. i have another cleaning product the Amish in Pennsylvania make  from granulated walnut shells that cleans well and is easy to use. With the lacquer thinner and crushed walnut shells cleaner I can hope for a good cleaning.

6 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Rodney ????

Nice offer Rodney, your Solvol is probably pretty close to our Lava soap.

81sS6rNaI7L__SX736_.jpg.774a2be2d388a52d892cf71437a2abde.jpg

Lava® was designed to get extra dirty hands really clean. It cleans away dirt, grime, grease, oil, paint, ink & adhesives.

Use Lava just as you would any hand soap.

Lather...

Rinse...

Repeat, if necessary.

The natural pumice in Lava may be abrasive to sensitive skin. If irritation develops, discontinue use. Avoid any contact with eyes – if this happens, rinse thoroughly with water.

I might have to give it a try, like you said, probably less abrasive and/or won't damage the rubber as much?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rivman said:

Nice offer Rodney, your Solvol is probably pretty close to our Lava soap.

81sS6rNaI7L__SX736_.jpg.774a2be2d388a52d892cf71437a2abde.jpg

Lava® was designed to get extra dirty hands really clean. It cleans away dirt, grime, grease, oil, paint, ink & adhesives.

Use Lava just as you would any hand soap.

Lather...

Rinse...

Repeat, if necessary.

The natural pumice in Lava may be abrasive to sensitive skin. If irritation develops, discontinue use. Avoid any contact with eyes – if this happens, rinse thoroughly with water.

I might have to give it a try, like you said, probably less abrasive and/or won't damage the rubber as much?

I think the Lava soap sales might skyrocket in your area as that looks a similar product. I don't know anything about the SOS pads, but if it is a steel wool or abrasive pad it may work also. I like the soap idea as it is simple and easy to use and store.

Be interested in your feedback when you try it out ????

The Aqua Zephyr took home a "Best Buick" trophy at the Carolina Collector Auto Fest today. We are very happy. We had lots of people asking how the headlights worked! That was so funny and unexpected. 

20171111_165438.thumb.jpg.167fde8cb1e795b814249e1b95b6cd64.jpg

IMG_20171112_075533_037.thumb.jpg.9e1f3d765a3053d603e1bd42bd94fa27.jpg

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Green Mist (Code H). So it is essentially a triple green 67.

Very Moody paint. The metal flake and clear coat make it come to life through levels of light spectrum. Sometimes it looks more silver, sometimes firmest medium blue/green tealish, sometimes metallic cash money green, always hot!

I don't think this color was readily available on year 66 (sea-foam H not aviable on 66 Rivieras).

This vehicle has been repainted and probably has a slight variation from factory exact matching, but I like it as is. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 7.41.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 7.43.08 PM.png

Green mist.JPG

Green Mist2.JPG

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Chimera said:

Thanks Mike.

Fortunately or unfortunately I will be putting it up for sale soon. Probably eBay? not sure...

Very hard to let go of these vehicles that become part of the family.

Hi Gabriel,

How come you need to sell your '67?

What might your asking price be?

Thanks,

8 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Hi Gabriel,

How come you need to sell your '67?

What might your asking price be?

Thanks,

Hey Alex,

Well, I would rather just collect more, but I currently have 4 Rivieras (5 in counting a family original 64 that is all in pieces currently). Basically I am paying storage fees and need to restore the other Rivieras, so it is hard to justify as of now to keep them all.

I was going to start high on eBay/Hemmings ($16-$17K) with the asking price, but I am reasonable and would take an offer to RoA member for a lower price.  

I started writing up the ad:

Factory Triple Green Original Numbers Matching California Black Plate 1967 Buick Riviera 

History
First purchased from Smythe Buick Dealership in San Jose California, with currently under 75K miles shown on the odometer, still maintains the numbers matching drive train and DMV issued Black License Plate (UYH730). The stunning H code Green Mist metallic paint is complemented by both deluxe interior (610-D) and vinyl top in Green (9). This vehicle was the 32,242 Riviera off the production line in the 3rd week of May in 1967 out of 42,799 total made that year. 

Options
The well optioned vehicle comes with factory AM/FM stereo radio with front/rear speakers and electric antenna, power steering, power windows, deluxe 6-way power bench seats, door guards, original air conditioner (recently charged), chrome plated wheels, large power drum breaks, remote outside rear view mirror, and automatic trunk release (also comes with rare chromed green floor mat official Buick accessory). The vehicle now sports an automatic (non-factory) fuel pump and is factory equip with the desirable 3.07 gear ratio differential allowing for more miles per gallon of fuel and higher top end speeds. All around soft-ray tinted glass makes a big difference while driving. A set of NOS and in box trico wiper blades also comes with the vehicle along with protect-o-plate and owners manual. 

Condition
The interior has been reupholstered, newer headliner, exterior repainted, and redone vinyl since original. The trunk is in excellent condition with original jack, original spare wheel/tire, and original material. The numbers matching rare California A.I.R. four barrel Rochester carburetor has just recently been fully rebuilt and BEAUTIFULLY restored by Americas top quadrajet expert "Sparky." The vehicle is always garage kept while not in use.  

AM/FM Radio 

Remote Mirror

Hideaway Headlights 

interior.JPG

firewallPlate.JPG

engine.JPG

Odometer.jpg

interior2.JPG

Wheel well.jpg

trunk.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 8.16.48 PM.png

VIN.JPG

carb.JPG

SmytheBuick.JPG

Protect-O.JPG

Side Shot.JPG

front.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:59 PM, Hazdaz said:

That first pic is by far my favorite

Great pictures and a very nice looking Riv!

Have you joined ROA? You should consider it. The link to the club site is pinned to the ROA forum landing page.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Second from the top is magazine worthy.

The others are nice, yet the framing and light is in need of some enhancement! Although it is cool how the sun (flash?) reflects off the Riviera script.

Yep, the sun was dropping fast. We took a lot more, and sent them to the ROA; Ray wants to use the car in a Showcase in a future issue.