Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!

bb1970

Sound good Ed.  I'll do a post in regard to the problem I have with the heat coming out of the vent in the console even though the A/C is blowing ice cold.  Hopefully he will see that and contact me.  I hope I'm doing this right I have never been on any type of site like this before and am sort of feeling my way around.                 Have a great night,

Joe

Here's a quick way to see if your temp control valve is stuck open.  Take a pair of Vise-grips and pinch off one of the heater hoses.  This will keep hot water out of the heater core and should keep the heat out of the cockpit.  If that's the case, then replacing the temp control valve is necessary.  The bigger problem is that the stock temp control valves for a '63 are unobtainium.  Jim Cannon, the same Jim Cannon mentioned above, has written an article in the Tech Tips section of the ROA's website on how to replace the stock one with a more modern style vacuum operated temp control valve. 

Or if you can live without heat in the summer and only need it when it's cold, you can cut the heater hose and install a manual valve in the hose.  When spring rolls around, open the hood and close the valve.  When fall gets here, open the hood and open the valve.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

the 1963 With the red roof is the one I just picked up about a month ago. I have big plans for it. The other white 63 was my first Riviera back in 2009 on the day I sold it. I miss that car, it was so clean.

post-114012-0-14839500-1443566233_thumb.

post-114012-0-82411800-1443566262_thumb.

post-114012-0-28943900-1443566683_thumb.

Edited by Dantana (see edit history)

the 1963 With the red roof is the one I just picked up about a month ago. I have big plans for it. The other white 63 was my first Riviera back in 2009 on the day I sold it. I miss that car, it was so clean.

hey man, that Red roof looks so cool. nice striping too...

maybe I need to get a 63 or 64 to go with my 65...

heading to LA and Vegas at end of month... maybe maybe...

Hello Dantana,

what Kind of rims in which size do you had on the Riviera you sold back in 2009 ??

I like them !

I'm still looking for options to replace my TrueSpoke Supreme Chrome wheels, which are looking nice, but do not realy fit to the wheel hub of my 1963 Riviera (3,5" hub Diameter).

As well I do not like the MAG style log nut fix without any centering of the wheel. I do not trust this kind to fix a wheel whitout centering conus.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Frank

post-145872-0-11501100-1443973366_thumb.

post-145872-0-27941700-1443973386_thumb.

Guest Dantana

Here is my second 63' - Bass boat emerald flake on the roof, 1965 deluxe interior and this car was so clean and fast. Bummer I had to sell it.  

post-114012-0-45443900-1444081612_thumb.

post-114012-0-54154800-1444081621_thumb.

post-114012-0-83645400-1444081643_thumb.

post-114012-0-52544700-1444081667_thumb.

Guest Dantana

Hello Dantana,

what Kind of rims in which size do you had on the Riviera you sold back in 2009 ??

I like them !

I'm still looking for options to replace my TrueSpoke Supreme Chrome wheels, which are looking nice, but do not realy fit to the wheel hub of my 1963 Riviera (3,5" hub Diameter).

As well I do not like the MAG style log nut fix without any centering of the wheel. I do not trust this kind to fix a wheel whitout centering conus.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Frank

I had 15x8 chrome smoothies with bullet caps from Mooneyes. Standard back spacing and I ran 225/75/15. Normally I'd opt for 215/75/15 but I wanted a more aggressive set up on that Riv. I love supremes on Rivi's but I agree with you about the center bore needing to fit properly.

Guest Dantana

hey man, that Red roof looks so cool. nice striping too...

maybe I need to get a 63 or 64 to go with my 65...

heading to LA and Vegas at end of month... maybe maybe...

Thanks man. I am about to redo it...its nice from about 10 feet but not up close. I am also going to paint it the original cloud silver and flake the roof with a darker red and silver pattern.

Wow,

Malta, that's quite a distance.  Welcome to the forum; there is a lot of information to be gained by just reading every thread and every post on that thread.

You might consider starting a new thread.  This particular thread has been around for a while and might not command the attention that a new thread would.  Easy to do.  There's a link in the upper right hand corner for starting a new thread.  Give it a title, tell us your story, and look for positive responses.

In your new thread, take a second and introduce yourself as well as telling us what you're after.    You probably want to include whether or not you're looking for 'show' quality' items or what you'd call something that's 'driver' quality.

There's also a Buy/Sell link on the Buick General forum.

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Riviera48433

I purchased this 1963 Buick Riviera in July 2015. Beautiful Riviera, love driving it and I enjoy working working

on the car. The prior owner lived in Muskogee, Oklahoma and prior to that it was owned by a couple from

Branson, Missouri. The car now resides in Michigan.

post-154241-0-38670700-1445704231_thumb.

post-154241-0-77756800-1445704610_thumb.

post-154241-0-75512200-1445704899_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Riv Owners

New to the forum, and after 5+ yrs of reviewing carefully online Riv content - mostly the classics, I finally pulled he trigger on a beautiful looking, unrestored, documented 85k mile 64' Surf Green, black interior from a reseller in central NY. She is being shipped shortly in an enclosed trailer back here to the west coast. This may be the same car shown by UncleBuck earlier in this topic because the previous owner was from MA (Winchester) and it certainly appears to be very similar. My plan is to clean, service, do any needed repairs (power antenna) and continue driving her in original form. I will probably pick up a second set of wheels, GS or spokes...

post-155763-0-53066500-1451245545_thumb.post-155763-0-79719100-1451245582_thumb.post-155763-0-62573000-1451245657_thumb.

Welcome to the forum and a great looking car.  If you're wanting to keep the car "factory correct" you're choices for the wheels other than the basic wheel covers that are shown in the pictures would be the spoked wire wheel cover with the Riviera "R" in the center emblem, and the cast aluminum "turbine" covers that bolt on to the the wheels. 

The following link has a picture of a correct for '64, cast aluminum cover.  Just look at post #7, the other posts are referencing covers for a '63.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/181530-correct-1963-riviera-wheel-covers/

This link shows the correct wire wheel cover for the Rivieras.  The '63 wire cover has the silver / black tri-shield on the emblem, the '64 and up shows the wire cover with the "R" on the emblem.

http://www.chip.com/buick/techtips/wirewheels.html

The Formula Five "rally" wheel was not available on the Riviera until 1965. 

It's your car, do to it as you like, and this forum is a great source for parts and leads on parts.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest smoore19

my 1965 Riv GS.  All numbers match, validated all numbers, BS trans, LX motor matches car, posi rear etc.

, Lived a hard life with first owner.  Not any more.  Now will be taken care of.  hard work but brining her back to life.  Worth it.  She will be loved again. 

used 2 parts cars so far.  That mean 2 less 65 Riv's in the world. 3 parts car will be sold as parts car.  Also I have lots of extra parts if anyone needs thing.

replaced floors, replaced rockers, replaced braces, replaced lower quarters, replaced trunk floor corners, rebuilt dog house, rebuilt AC components, Rebuilt motor, rebuilt and painted frame, Por 15 coat all braces and frame inside and out, finished carpet, re uphostering seats, restoring wire harness.  Should be starting the car for the first time in 20 years  next month or so.  Looking forward to it.  Then the body work and fixing all the bugs.  Fun 

post-155782-0-70854600-1451438837_thumb.post-155782-0-40992300-1451438840_thumb.post-155782-0-32505400-1451438842_thumb.post-155782-0-56425500-1451438847_thumb.post-155782-0-28247600-1451438850_thumb.post-155782-0-58847200-1451438853_thumb.post-155782-0-85735000-1451438855_thumb.post-155782-0-51921300-1451438859_thumb.post-155782-0-93890600-1451438861_thumb.post-155782-0-64262600-1451438864_thumb.

WOW, what a challenge.  Looks like you started with a puzzle and got all the pieces in the right place.  Keep up the good work.  Where are you located, this will help others in search of parts get an idea of where the parts are.

Thanks for the post and keep them coming.  We're glad that you're part of us and sharing with us on this forum.

Ed

Guest smoore19

Thanks for the compliments Ed.  I live in Kentucky.  Winchester Ky 40391 zip.

I can be contacted any time at 248-207-1200 on weekends or after 6:00 PM during the week..  

I have a car that I will leave as is and sell whole.  Has 401, trans and rear in the car and someone put floors in it years ago before they made floors for these cars.  Did an OK job.  Car could be a good Rat Rod but body is not that great.  Been repaired with mud hear and there.  

Also have parts from the other parts cars that were worth keeping.  Many parts. Rear end, another 401,trans, dash with no cracks, lots of trim,  seats in OK shape, doors, fenders, headlight clam shell's, linkages, carbs, compressor, dash cluster, windows, wire harnesses, breathers, window channels, suspension, aluminum drums, cast rear drums, springs, fame etc.  Lots of stuff. 

This is my 3rd 65 GS and I am not selling this one when finished.  I don't count the parts cars or I would be up to six 65's.  Had a few 64's as well. Neither I owned were that nice so I sold them.  

Hope to find another 63 or 64  in this area that is all original.  If I do I will add that to the collection for sure.

Still looking for that one.  

My goal is to have a very nice example and drive this one to the big car cruses.

I have a lot of cars and inventory that cross all lines, makes and years.  I am a collector for sure.  

This one is going to be my baby however and plan is to have it in the middle of them all as the corner stone of my collection. 

My opinion is it is one of the best looking cars every built. Love all the Riv's really.  They always stood out to me as a production custom. 

I like them all but this one pulls my hart strings.  

I could have purchased a better GS to build but knowing I was going to do a frame off anyway and knowing this one needed most everything why not. It was supposed to be a Texas car but when I took the carpets up and found the mess I just sold myself and jumped in with both feet. It obviously was not a Texas car as advertised and the person who sold it to me was not honest but hey it is a 65 GS. 

I know.  I am nuts but it's fun rebuilding cars and you guys in this club have been a blessing so far as I have been doing this one. 

Things keep coming up and looking through the site i usually find answers,  A lot of them answered by you and few of the other Riv guys that are regulars. 

Thank you and the other guys very much and appreciate all you and the others do for us.

By the way my next Buick project is going to be a 1949 super fast back.  Love them

Just haven't found the right car yet. Know of anyone with a semi solid 1949 i would be interested for the right price.

I will be doing a custom so it does not have to be all stock original but I do not want one that's been cut on. When other cut on a car like the 49 fastback i do not know what they did so I stay away. . 

Anyone can call and discuss anything they wish.  I love to talk cars and especially early Riv's, nail heads and 49 Buick's. 

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all from Saint Petersburg, Florida.  I took possession of my '64 Riviera three months ago and actually was a member of the ROA before I had the car.  I signed on to AACA earlier this evening.  I purchased this particular vehicle because it had been well and sensitively restored, except for the out-of-place 17-inch rims the seller had installed.  The rims were replaced with Cragar steel wheels and original restored 1964 wheel covers ($$$).  The car is black (originally silver) on black, and chrome.  I decided it needed a bit of color and mounted red-line tires, many of which I installed on '60's muscle cars in a Firestone tire store while working my way through college.  I also installed rear seat belts and a passenger's side-view mirror.  Next:  A/C and a windshield washer, both of which the car had when it left the factory, but no more.  Also, a good paint refresh and buff.  The photo emphasizes the big honkin' amber parking lights, my favorite single design element on the '64.  I originally blacked out the grill, but decided that was a bit too "street."  I had seen on My Classic Car a custom '65 with only the grill's horizontal elements kept original, so I copied that and am seeing if I like it (so far, yes).  The horizontal bars aren't mottled, as in the photo;  that was a trick of the light and reflection of the pavement.  I join other owners in saying what valued resources both ROA and AACA are.

post-155921-0-04407300-1452823234_thumb.

Edited by Trundy (see edit history)