Sign in to follow this  
Ron Green

Trailer Tires...................Again

OK question!

What are the disadvantages/advantages of using bias trailer tires? Big rigs went to them for fuel economy and durability. I'm not seeing that with car trailer tires.

Maybe I should ask, "Why not use bias tires?"

Wayne

OK question!

What are the disadvantages/advantages of using bias trailer tires? Big rigs went to them for fuel economy and durability. I'm not seeing that with car trailer tires.

Maybe I should ask, "Why not use bias tires?"

Wayne

Based on the large number of shredded tires from big rigs I see, I have to wonder if they are all that durable. Then again maybe some big rig owners do a very poor job of maintaining/replacing these tires when they should.

Whenever these threads come up I always wonder if the people that have trouble with tires:

A.) Ran over road debris which caused their blow out

B.) Have them Properly inflated

C.) Are/are not exceeding the weight rating of the tires

D.) Are/are not exceeding the recommended maximum speed

I also wonder when people have more than one blow out:

- Did road debris or debris from their blown tire cause their other tire blow outs?

- How long did they drive with a blown out tire. Sometimes it is unavoidable to drive more than a few 100 yards with a blown tire. Driving further than that stresses the other tires and has been should to contribute to those tires failing within a period of time of the first blow out.

My first set of trailer tires were made in China and performed well.

I recently replaced those tires after 5 years due to age and the appearance of small cracks in the side walls. The replacement tires were made in the USA by the Blimp people. Hopefully these tires will also provide me with many trouble-free miles of service.

I used bias tires on the trailer twice and have zero complaints. The 1st time I bought by accident. I could not tell the difference from a radial when towing and they were a lot cheaper plus ran the same milage as a radial. When the manufacture went out of business (can't pronounce name), I switched back to a name brand radial manufacture.

Sorry I'm heading here again. Just corrected a tire issue on my trailer and re-opened an old discussion.

Can someone who is sure tell me what the difference between a LT truck radial tire and an LT trailer rated tire is? When I compare the ply ratings and load ratings of both they are identical. Still, you read article after article how you cannot interchange them.

Everyones first response is always too much side wall flex. With the same sidewall rating I don't buy that one. Then tell me this, the steering tire on the front axle of some one ton utility truck does not have to flex when the truck is loaded?

I'm really beginning to think this is tire hype. The older I get the least I believe stuff in general.

Want to talk politics?

This happened to us on the way home after our trip to the New Bern show. We found out that the tires were made 04-00. They were on the 2001 chassis of our 35' 2002 Winnebago Adventurer. We had our PTCruiser on a tow dolly behind us. We were lucky that the inside dully did this and not a front tire.

Luckily for us also we were very close to an exit where we knew there was a church with a large open lot, and our friend Rodger Woodrum lives right up the road. Moral support from a friend is nice. :) Our new road service (the old one never showed up when the drive shaft came loose on our trip to the Charlotte AutoFair/AACA show after it had been worked on by a local truck shop :mad: ) changed the blown tire for the spare and we were on our way home.

We now have new tires on the RV (same brand, Goodyear, and style but they have been upgraded by Goodyear to a higher load limit) and on the tow dolly (we went with radials vs. bias ply which we have never had good luck with), all with very recent date stamps and higher load ratings. We are not taking any chances when we head to Louisville. :D

I can put Goodyear because we don't have a complaint with the tires. We got nearly ten years out of them. It was time to replace them anyway, we just waited a bit too long to do it. :rolleyes:

post-36313-143138228558_thumb.jpg

post-36313-14313822881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shop Rat
Add photo of tire and more info. (see edit history)