Trailer Tires...................Again

Put approximately 1,100 miles on my new trailer the past couple of weeks including a run to New Bern and back. New winch broke first use (gotta love the new expensive junk) so I took the trailer back to the dealer yesterday. We noticed that all 4 name brand tires (they have a blimp) had multiple bubbles on the sidewalls. Tires were properly inflated to the correct PSI and the trailer plus the vehicle weight was approximately 50% below maximum ratings.

The trailer dealer called the tire manufacture and they didn't hesitate to offer to replace these immediately, which leads one to believe there is a bad batch of tires out there. I will keep you posted if I find anything out but they didn't want to discuss what may be the problem, just take the new ones and go away. Check your tires closely.

I put over 900 miles on my new trailer tires on my New Bern trip.

Even though my new tires were made by the Blimp People in the USA, I checked my tires at every stop I made on the trip.

Also checked the inflation before setting out each day.

No bubbles or signs of problems. I tried to stay under 65 mph and run around 1500-1800 lbs under their rated weight.

Just curious what was the month and year code on your trailer tires? IIRC, mine are March of this year.

I don't know the tire date code however the trailer was built on March 31st of this year so I assume they are fairly new tires. I hope the tires are still there when I pick up the trailer tomorrow as I need to compare the date code with the two new spares.

I was carrying a car that only weighs 1,200 pounds. With the 4,200 pound trailer weight, plus the 1,200 vehicle weight, I am at a total of 5,400 pounds, well under the 9,990 pound rating.

RG

The reason I asked was becuase I've had series of blowouts, but have just found a late model trailer with 16 wheels and heavy duty tires. I have the bad habit of a heavy foot, so my driving does not help the tire problems I have had in the past.

I can't wait to use it, will probably trailer my Corvette to Blacksburg Va to the Southeastern Fall Meet.

Maybe we will see you there.

Thanks,

Wayne

Can I add that it might be a good idea to look underneath and inspect your springs, shackles and bolts to make sure everything looks tight and not severely worn. If your U-bolts come undone, you're stranded. :cool:

Good suggestions West. I do those inspections periodically myself.

I took the Cheaspeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel to/from New Bern. At 18+ miles long that is one bridge where a break down would not be pretty (especially with it's limited pull-off areas). Do want to Thank Peter H. for suggesting the Eastern Shore of MD route. MUCH more enjoyable route than using the Baltimore & Washington Beltways and I-95 to get to New Bern when pulling a trailer.

BTW, when I purchased my new trailer tires recently I also purchased another wheel so I have two mounted spare tires for the trailer. Given how hard it is to find trailer tires (in my size) at most tire shops, I felt it prudent to do so.

CARRY A SECOND SPARE TIRE

We had our newest trailer built with the same tire size and same lug nut configuration as our tow vehicles. This way, both the trailer and truck have a 2nd spare - in our case we use Load-Range "E" 235/85-R16 on 16 inch wheels with 8 lugs. This is typical of 3/4 Ton vehicles such as 2500 series Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and F-250 Ford. I can't speak for the imports, but then I try to "Buy American" whenever possible (I do like the made-in-USA Michelin tires). That includes USA fuel sources such as Valero, Wal-Mart and Flying J when I travel, because so many of the majors source primarily from the mid-eastern sources which fund terrorist activities.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

I asked for the date codes however they told me don't worry about them as the new tires are now on. I was also told that some "ovalation" (their word not mine) was to be expected but these were in the severe range. They are on their way to the blimp companies testing facility. My guess is they were made Feb / March 2010.

We have since changed to 10 ply rated tires, seems to have solved the problem. Interstate speeds + We were hauling a 6500# car so we expected problems. Sometimes you just do what you gotta do.

When I put new tires on my trailer I opted to go the overkill route and bought 10 ply Carlisles. Two of them litterly EXPLODED in the first 1000 miles. Had the Carlisles taken off and have had no problems with 8 plys since ( sound of wood being knocked ). Now I carry two spares.............Bob

Bhigdog,

My new trailer came with IRONMAN Load Range "E" 10-ply 235/85-R-16.

I was told that IRONMAN is a Carlisle Brand, and they were made in CHINA.

THREE of the four tires split the inner sidewall within the first 5,000 miles.

I was told by Trailerworld to "Take it up with the manufacturer"

Instead, I went to Wal-Mart and bought American-made tires -- no problems since !!

Marty

Guest Corvette Bill

when you say bubbles are we talking about protuding bubbles or are they dents in side walls?

I have the same tires (made in china) on a 1 year old 9,999 lbs rated enclosed trailer showing dents in side walls, I have not hit any curbs or nothing like that with these tires.

Are these dents anything to worry about? by the way these are load range D tires on trailer that weighs 8450 lbs with car and supplys.

Looking at heading to Louisville end of June and don't want any Tire problems.

when you say bubbles are we talking about protuding bubbles or are they dents in side walls?

Protruding bumps (better description than bubbles). You can easily see them and if you run your hand around the sidewall they are definitely noticeable. They told me some "bumps" are normal, whatever that means.

Unsure as to where these were made (need to check my spares) however I have trailer tires manufactured from the blimp company that were made in the USA, New Zealand and China.

I have another tire, not a trailer but an American Classic Wide-White that I just installed on our '70 caddy Convertible. Three of them look fine, but one has a PROTRUSION running on the outer sidewall from the rim to the tread, including the whitewall.

I'm not driving the car until someone tells me what is going on. Is it a leak between layers of the sidewall? or a natural connection like the "Innie" connections between sections of the tire which just went "backward" ? Is it dangerous?

Your thoughts?

post-54863-143138216869_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14313821687_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138216872_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138216875_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138216877_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138216879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

I have another tire, not a trailer but an American Classic Wide-White that I just installed on our '70 caddy Convertible. Three of them look fine, but one has a PROTRUSION running on the outer sidewall from the rim to the tread, including the whitewall.

I'm not driving the car until someone tells me what is going on. Is it a leak between layers of the sidewall? or a natural connection like the "Innie" connections between sections of the tire which just went "backward" ? Is it dangerous?

Your thoughts?

My 2 cents: my Amphicar has what you are somewhat describing "a PROTRUSION running on the outer sidewall from the rim to the tread" on the rear tires. The "protrusion" is what I described as "a bump". These started (a few on each tire) about a year ago and are not nearly as bad as the trailer tire. I have been running them but keeping a close watch on them.

I would ask your question to whom you bought these from especially in regards to your safety. Please let us know their response. More than likely they won't be willing to give you many details however I would insist on a new tire.

Thanks, Ron,

I edited my post above to include some photos of the tire bubble.

I'll list any response, but I don't expect much help, unfortunately.

I would have hoped to run this car cross-country at Interstate speeds, but now --- who knows if it is safe?

In my opinion.... one is never truly 'safe' with any tire... any can fail or catch that nail. I try to pay attention to the 'feel' and check them out when it doesn't feel right. that slight bulge is something to watch closely... it could be nothing. drive it... but if it has a vibration or if the circumfrence feels like a slight bump developing... put on the spare! I have seen even top line new tires fail. Just don't put total trust in any tire.

Guest billybird

My experience: My old trailer= 12 years on Goodyear Marathon radials= no blowouts. My new trailer= Carlisles=4 years, 3 blowouts, one tread separation. Just went ahead and put all Goodyears on and got rid of the Chinese Carlisle junk. I noticed one of my lawn mower tires would not hold air. I looked at it and guess what? It's a Carlisle. Paleez! Carlisle has a tire made in U.S.A. and they LOOK visibly better than the Chinese counterpart but don't know if they are or not.

The tires in question (rippled sidewalls) in the beginning of this thread are Goodyear's, which are made all over the world now including China unfortunately. I have run through probably 5 or 6 sets of the Marathons in the past 15 years. Possibly the old reliable's may have a bad batch out there, or possibly the quality has slipped?

Guest billybird

Yes; I have noticed some of my Goodyears are made in China. I only hope that they have better quality control over there than brand X. Time will tell.

Guest billybird
I'm in the need of new tires. Should I stay with the Bly tires or go with Radials. If go with Radials will I get any swaying from them.

I've been running radials on my trailers for 20 years now and have not found sway to be a problem. I think sway comes more from the hitch set up and tow vehicle more than radial tires.

Guest billybird

I can't think of a reason not to use bias tires on a trailer. Then on the other hand , I can't think of a reason not to use radials either.

OK question!

What are the disadvantages/advantages of using bias trailer tires? Big rigs went to them for fuel economy and durability. I'm not seeing that with car trailer tires.

Maybe I should ask, "Why not use bias tires?"

Wayne

Based on the large number of shredded tires from big rigs I see, I have to wonder if they are all that durable. Then again maybe some big rig owners do a very poor job of maintaining/replacing these tires when they should.

Whenever these threads come up I always wonder if the people that have trouble with tires:

A.) Ran over road debris which caused their blow out

B.) Have them Properly inflated

C.) Are/are not exceeding the weight rating of the tires

D.) Are/are not exceeding the recommended maximum speed

I also wonder when people have more than one blow out:

- Did road debris or debris from their blown tire cause their other tire blow outs?

- How long did they drive with a blown out tire. Sometimes it is unavoidable to drive more than a few 100 yards with a blown tire. Driving further than that stresses the other tires and has been should to contribute to those tires failing within a period of time of the first blow out.

My first set of trailer tires were made in China and performed well.

I recently replaced those tires after 5 years due to age and the appearance of small cracks in the side walls. The replacement tires were made in the USA by the Blimp people. Hopefully these tires will also provide me with many trouble-free miles of service.

I used bias tires on the trailer twice and have zero complaints. The 1st time I bought by accident. I could not tell the difference from a radial when towing and they were a lot cheaper plus ran the same milage as a radial. When the manufacture went out of business (can't pronounce name), I switched back to a name brand radial manufacture.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm heading here again. Just corrected a tire issue on my trailer and re-opened an old discussion.

Can someone who is sure tell me what the difference between a LT truck radial tire and an LT trailer rated tire is? When I compare the ply ratings and load ratings of both they are identical. Still, you read article after article how you cannot interchange them.

Everyones first response is always too much side wall flex. With the same sidewall rating I don't buy that one. Then tell me this, the steering tire on the front axle of some one ton utility truck does not have to flex when the truck is loaded?

I'm really beginning to think this is tire hype. The older I get the least I believe stuff in general.

Want to talk politics?

This happened to us on the way home after our trip to the New Bern show. We found out that the tires were made 04-00. They were on the 2001 chassis of our 35' 2002 Winnebago Adventurer. We had our PTCruiser on a tow dolly behind us. We were lucky that the inside dully did this and not a front tire.

Luckily for us also we were very close to an exit where we knew there was a church with a large open lot, and our friend Rodger Woodrum lives right up the road. Moral support from a friend is nice. :) Our new road service (the old one never showed up when the drive shaft came loose on our trip to the Charlotte AutoFair/AACA show after it had been worked on by a local truck shop :mad: ) changed the blown tire for the spare and we were on our way home.

We now have new tires on the RV (same brand, Goodyear, and style but they have been upgraded by Goodyear to a higher load limit) and on the tow dolly (we went with radials vs. bias ply which we have never had good luck with), all with very recent date stamps and higher load ratings. We are not taking any chances when we head to Louisville. :D

I can put Goodyear because we don't have a complaint with the tires. We got nearly ten years out of them. It was time to replace them anyway, we just waited a bit too long to do it. :rolleyes:

post-36313-143138228558_thumb.jpg

post-36313-14313822881_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shop Rat
Add photo of tire and more info. (see edit history)