New Bern

the GPS stuff could easily be a new thread. Susan has a Droid and that thing has a built in GPS that doesnt' need to be updated. It's so current that she was navigating around road closures in Nashville TN trying to get us to the airport on our way home from Metropolis during the heavy rains there. We nik-named the Droid "Lucy" after the Peanuts comic strip character - she's a bossy know-it-all. At least she doesn't keep "recalculating."

We're trying to get the oil cleaned up under the hood of the MG. That little squirt out of the pressure hose sure did make a mess.

Terry

..... We nik-named the Droid "Lucy" after the Peanuts comic strip character - she's a bossy know-it-all. .....

Bill named our GPS "Barbara Jean" for Melissa Peterman's character on the TV show "Reba". A little flaky but she means well. :rolleyes:

Guest quadfins

I'd like to add my thoughts about the GN at New Bern.

I had an absolutely delightful time. The venue was superb, and I appreciate the efforts put in by the members of the host region, as well as the town residents, in organizing such an event. From my perspective, it was very well organized, and I am impressed by the friendliness of the organizers and the residents - they certainly kept their good humor as their town was invaded and occupied by a very diverse crowd of foreigners.

I was especially pleased with the parking location for my particular class, which was in a high foot-traffic section of town, and funnelled a constant stream of spectators past my parking spot. It was a pleasure to chat with so many friendly people, and be able to share the wonders of 1960's automotive history. I have only fond memories of the entire weekend. Special thanks are due to the number of members who devoted their time and efforts to judge so many magnificent cars.

I arrived Thursday evening, and spent the next several hours in the hotel parking lot, scrubbing 200 miles worth of bugs and grime off the car (yes, I actually drive it to every meet). The Parking Lot Conversations were delightful, and everyone was very positive-minded. To me, the show began that evening, and continued Friday as I continued to prepare the car, and watch other vehicles arrive. There were some scary moments, though, as some of the larger tow vehicles and trailers got stuck between the cars parked in the lot. One guy crushed my tub of cleaning supplies, but at least he stopped before he hit my right front fender. That close one called for another chilled beverage or two...

I was very pleased that the weather cooperated, too. Temperatures were perfect, and and the clouds provided some welcome shade Saturday. I'm glad the strong storms stayed to the south, and waited until Sunday before they drew closer. I encountered only a few light showers on the 4 hour drive home. But show day was ideal.

Reading some of the other comments, I guess that I am still lost in the '60s. I don't use a GPS, just an old fashioned road atlas. I select the roads, and look for landmarks to confirm the course - no nagging voice telling me to turn here or there. The roads themselves were quite scenic and quaint - just like they must have been when my car was new. The 50-year-old cruise control held my speed steady, and allowed me to enjoy the scenery.

I am hoping that there will be another GN in the vicinity before too many years pass, and I am looking forward to the meet in Blacksburg in August. But it will be difficult to match the ambiance of downtown New Bern.

So if you see a coppery-pinkish Coupe de Ville cruising through tidewater Virginia, be sure to honk and wave. I'll turn down the Sinatra and say hello!

Edited by quadfins (see edit history)

Guest billybird

quadfins: I think I was one of the many people who talked to you. Are you the guy who cleaned the rest of the day Thursday and all day Friday in the Comfort Suites parking lot?

Guest quadfins

Yep, that was me. Thanks for making my days so nice. I enjoy the unofficial events, like the parking lot visits, as much as the official stuff.

I was also thankful for that pool, too.

Jim

Guest billybird

Yes; I too love those "unofficial" events. I was on my way to the trailer lot to look at the rigs and converse with those cleaning their cars. Thats what I always do on Fridays at National Meets. It's my "chill" day. Your car is a very beautiful color.

..... Special thanks are due to the number of members who devoted their time and efforts to judge so many magnificent cars. .....

Actually, we owe you and folks like you the thanks for bringing such beautiful, well maintained vehicles for us to drool over, uh I meant judge, yeah that is what I meant to say. :rolleyes:

When folks bring vehicles that haven't been cleaned in quite a while, when they don't take the time to clean up the chassis and engine areas, I feel that they are not only not respecting their vehicles but they don't respect the donated time that judges, Admin. folks and many others give to every event.

..... I select the roads, and look for landmarks to confirm the course - no nagging voice telling me to turn here or there.

So then you aren't married, right? :rolleyes::D

the GPS stuff could easily be a new thread. Susan has a Droid and that thing has a built in GPS that doesnt' need to be updated. It's so current that she was navigating around road closures in Nashville TN trying to get us to the airport on our way home from Metropolis during the heavy rains there. We nik-named the Droid "Lucy" after the Peanuts comic strip character - she's a bossy know-it-all. At least she doesn't keep "recalculating."

Terry

I have seen some cell phone GPS features that work GREAT like you mentioned. On my trip to New Bern I traveled through areas where there was no cell phone service. I wonder how "No Service" impacts cell phone GPS service.

Yes; I too love those "unofficial" events. I was on my way to the trailer lot to look at the rigs and converse with those cleaning their cars. Thats what I always do on Fridays at National Meets. It's my "chill" day. Your car is a very beautiful color.

I also love the "unofficial" events as well. Friday morning after picking up my packet & goodie bag I went to my trailer to unstrap things. Met some very NICE fellow AACA members doing the same thing in the lot. Seeing their cars and talking with them was a just another highlight of my New Bern Experience.

Yep, that was me. Thanks for making my days so nice. I enjoy the unofficial events, like the parking lot visits, as much as the official stuff.

Jim

I too enjoyed walking around the parking lot at the host hotel and looking at the GREAT looking Antique Cars in the lot.

Most of the tow vehicle owners seemed to try to give the Antique cars as wide a berth as they could. At least I know I did.

Actually, we owe you and folks like you the thanks for bringing such beautiful, well maintained vehicles for us to drool over, uh I meant judge, yeah that is what I meant to say. :rolleyes:

When folks bring vehicles that haven't been cleaned in quite a while, when they don't take the time to clean up the chassis and engine areas, I feel that they are not only not respecting their vehicles but they don't respect the donated time that judges, Admin. folks and many others give to every event.

It is nice to see that people appreciate the efforts of the show staff and judges just as the judges appreciate the efforts of the car owners. Great cars + Great Show Staff and Judges = a Great Meet.

I know what you mean about judging less than spotless cars. I have judged at some non-AACA car shows and have seen the good, the bad and the downright ugly when it comes to car cleanliness and mechanical condition.

Cannot tell you how many times my judging has been called into question by car owners with dirty, unmaintained cars.

Always makes me :D when that happens.

Grand National-New Bern-2010 - AACA PHOTO GALLERY

Ok guys, every picture that I took is uploaded above. I was really disappointed in some that I took. I keep blaming them on my cheap camera, but I think the heat had a little something to do with it. The photographer was gragging (??), DRAGGING, at times. There were many great background opportunity shots that I would have loved to have taken, if time had permitted.

Wayne

FYI, I finally got the photos I took at New Bern Uploaded to the AACA Photo Gallery. There were so many Beautiful vehicles at the Meet and so little time to look at them all. Forgive the glare, etc in some of the photos. Between the sun and the crowds taking photos at times was a challenge.

.............. Forgive the glare, etc in some of the photos. Between the sun and the crowds taking photos at times was a challenge.

You're right Charlie, I had a lot of trouble with glare too. I figure that if I get 2-3 great shots out of the day, I've done good under those conditions. Even so, the shade was very welcome in New Bern.

Wayne

You're right Charlie, I had a lot of trouble with glare too. I figure that if I get 2-3 great shots out of the day, I've done good under those conditions. Even so, the shade was very welcome in New Bern.

Wayne

Wayne, Charlie and others,

Keep in mind that professional photographers might take 100+ photos to get one that is a stunner. At least with digital you can erase those "bad" :eek: ones without them being costly to print only to find out there is something in the background that makes it unusable. (Last year for Bill's 65th birthday we went up to Mass. and then a day trip into Maine with Bill's ex-wife Priscilla, her current husband Rick and my step-daughter Kathi. Priscilla accidentally took a funny photo. It was suppossed to be Bill, Kathi and I. When she printed the photo her husband Rick, who was standing out on the rock behind us, looks like he is tiny and standing on my head looking down at to top of my head. :rolleyes::D )

Susan, you are so right about being able to delete digital photos that are not what the photographer hoped they would be. I did that with a few photos of the show vehicles at New Bern usually due to glare or spectators walking into my shot.

The photo of Rick standing on your head must have been funny.

Guest Billy McKee

Here is a link to the photos I took at the Meet.

View photo - New Bern 2010 091

I was the Rallye Green Camaro in the Factory High Performance class, so mostly those cars.A few shots of the Palace. I have to echo what everybody has said about the hospitality.Everybody everywhere couldn't have been nicer.Sincerly interested in how we were doing and the "Car Show".We had dinner with one of the hosting chapter members and his wife and had a very enjoyable time.

Enjoy,

Billy