need info on a 1928 $ 1929 Desoto

Guest Orphanauto

Guest Orphanauto

I am going to go look at 2 desoto's for sale. The 1928 is suppose to be serial number 1. According to the gentleman selling them, all numbers match with it being the 1st one made. He also claims that Calvin Coolidge was a owner, that does make me suspicious as President Coolidge is the last president not to ever drive or fly in a airplane. :o From What I read, He did buy a car AFTER leaving office in 29, but that was his Presidents Pierce Arrow, and he had to hire a driver. Bottom line is, as I look at the 2 cars, what and where are the numbers I need to look for. Anything else I should be aware of? thanks.

Guest martylum

DeSoto production began in the Fall of 1929 with the first dashplate # being KW000P-this number would shown on an oval Fedco plate on the center of the dash. The serial # is read from top to bottom and very hard sometimes to distinguish individual letters (intentionally so)so take along a very good light. The letters, excepting the first digit which stays as a W, translate into 10002-so there is no car serial #1 as such according to Chrysler Historical info.

Te engine # does not necessarily coincide with the serial #. The first engine # is K1001-so, again, no #1.

My interest is that I restored a K model DeSoto and own an AACA Senior 1930 Desoto roadster. 83099 cars were made up to the end of 1929-an impressive production for a new model.

Keep us posted.

Martin Lum

Guest Orphanauto

I am waiting on a response from the owner to go look at it. I will take photos and post what I found out, thanks.

Guest marcusmanning

You should know that Gary has had a stroke and We are watching closely to "ALL" things being sold by him including this #1 production Desoto. It is a priceless President Coolidge owned, rare car and in the spirit of full disclosure it is "NOT" for sale unless we find him capable of making that decision in front of us, Gary's Law Team...Thank You.

• 3 months later...